Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2017, 09:01   #1

MacGregor 25

I bought a MacGregor 25 and I love it. I converted the long couch on the port side to a galley, some drawers and a small closet with a small seat left over. All I have heard on here is negative things about MacGregors. They are not capable of being a coastal cruiser, etc. Why the negativity?2
thericksster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 09:06   #2

Re: MacGregor 25

I would call coastal cruiser a boat capable of going offshore in good weather like a c27. The macgregor is a good boat for what is was designed for. Lake and bay sailing.
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 09:29   #3

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner

macgregors are fun boats to sail in fair weather...I almost bought one, but elected on a seasprite 23 instead for that size class. Ballasted, full keel, lines designed to sail in seas, really hard to put the mast in the water. A seasprite is like an alberg 30 scaled down. Can't say the same for the Macgregors.
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 12:49   #4

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

If a stinkpotter is allowed a voice in this debate, I think the MacGregor gets a bad rap.

Every boat is full of compromises. If you're not racing, or crossing oceans, or looking to get oooo's and ahhhh's from all the sailing purists at the yacht club; if you want something easy to sail and comfortable, then I think MacGregor makes some good compromises.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 14:17   #5
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Originally Posted by thericksster View Post
I bought a MacGregor 25 and I love it. I converted the long couch on the port side to a galley, some drawers and a small closet with a small seat left over. All I have heard on here is negative things about MacGregors. They are not capable of being a coastal cruiser, etc. Why the negativity?2
They do get a bad rap, but having had one for many years and cruised up and down the SE Alaskan coast, I can tell you they can take more than most people can. All hand laid glass matt, no chop strand or chopper guns; the hull is on the thin side and will flex above the waterline if pushed hard enough, but the same people so eager to bash the Mac's will tell you that heavy cruisers are overbuilt and should be thinner to save weight for speed. Don't take the Mac bashing personally as everyone bashes everything thats not 'theirs' here, just check out the many threads on Cat bashing, or mono bashing, or production bashing, the list goes on and on. If you want good slightly biased info on Mac's I highy suggest you visit the owners website
MacGregorSailors.com
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 05:32   #6

Hi my name is George I have a MacGregor 25 also they was going to cut it in pieces and get rid of it but instead I took it home and fixed it real nice I've been working on it for 4 years and I am now ready to put it in the water for the first time but I have a problem did I don't know what to do about maybe you can help me I would really appreciate you the back of the boat where you see down and Teller is a drain hole that goes down with a pipe and in the outside of the back of the boat it's another 2 inch hole that goes inside the boat I don't understand if I chew tied them together Wonder water coming into the boat he said a box that go there or something like that do you know I would really appreciate it if you can maybe look at yours and send me a picture of something so I can finally go sailing thank you thank you very much
electricdog.jg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
macgregor