Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: I would rather...
Live in civilization 13 19.40%
Live in the wilderness 26 38.81%
Live on a deserted island 22 32.84%
Undecided 6 8.96%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2010, 14:52   #76
cruiser

That's what I love about the BC coast. Big city in one area, and complete wilderness just around the corner. One can pick ones own balance , like a smorgasbord.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 15:33   #77
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
It's pretty hard to beat. Climate's tolerable too.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 17:05   #78

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane View Post
Around where I live I am not so sure about the poor being able to enjoy sailing bit. There just aren’t many if not any small boats at the marinas on my harbour. In stark contrast, there is an old boat harbour and an anchorage that are almost graveyards for poor people’s boats. In between there are a couple of battlers who live on some charming old powerboats at a private wharf. The picture is unfortunately black and white between what happens to the poor compared to the spoils of the well to do.

(...)
I have not seen any small private pleasure craft in Brazil either ...

However, in NZ I found that, alike in a couple of other lucky spots, if you want a boat, you just get one. Hauraki was full of (mostly very small) sails each weekend.

Time to move on?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 18:28   #79

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I have not seen any small private pleasure craft in Brazil either ...

However, in NZ I found that, alike in a couple of other lucky spots, if you want a boat, you just get one. Hauraki was full of (mostly very small) sails each weekend.

Time to move on?

b.
I am seriously considering the moving on option. I have even found the lakes and harbours directly to the north and south of where I live a lot more inviting. It was equally as amazing to sail my boat from over a thousand nautical miles north enjoying the hospitality elsewhere to get home to this attitude and even a bad experience with the local marinas dockmaster. Unfortunately the bad vibes around here also resonate into the workplace; it really is something in the disposition of this place. Something that does turn people like me off civilisation as it has successfully again done.

Yes, NZ is a serious option and I have even had a bloke who once lived a couple of doors down the road encouraging me to move their after he went and never returned. Till I get the boat ready for the ocean passage I might just have to enjoy coastal cruising to the more inviting locations around me. Then I might even have to test the rigging on a trip down to Tasmania?
Old 04-11-2010, 18:31   #80
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Quote:
Yes. But even when you take out the quotation marks they will be better off. The rich stay rich and the poor get poorer. We are lucky to be living in time and place where even the poor can afford sailing.

b.
As things are going the rich who had a buffer and would stay rich also have further to fall and as what held them up there threatens to be pulled out from under them.....It will be interesting to watch as the rich come tumbling down, it is happening in place to a certain degree. The rich that are smart enough to rearrange there lifestyle are the ones that will survive, it is the ones that continue to over extend them selves spending non-existant money they are used to having that will crash. I have a brother who owes on a $1.4mil house (now valued at $600K), is paying off a couple of high end cars and misc other debts run up (including a $1/2 mil tax bill) all of which until very recently he could afford comfortably....but as the economy changed so did his ability to keep up.. This is actually a fairly common example of what is happening among the rich (and those less fortunate that try and emulate them via credit) in this credit based economy and it has only just begun. I live on a low tech boat with a self sufficient mind set.
Old 04-11-2010, 18:58   #81

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
The rich that are smart enough to rearrange there lifestyle are the ones that will survive, it is the ones that continue to over extend them selves spending non-existant money they are used to having that will crash.

I live on a low tech boat with a self sufficient mind set.
The real problem is that the poor over also have credit cards. The trend over here is that they are using them to pay the utilities and rent (myself included). As the debt and interest repayments accumulate it is a real poverty trap.

Nonetheless, your way out looks like a good option.
Old 04-11-2010, 19:02   #82
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

I prefer the civilisation of Nature over the wilderness of the concrete jungle...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:10   #83

Boat: FPD 1760 LCD 17"screen
In the wilderness, but with the possibility of a quick fix of music culture and a quick reminder through rudeness,noise pollution, why I chose wilderness
Old 06-11-2010, 11:17   #84

Boat: a sailing boat
So what becomes of wilderness once all you guys with your noisy and polluting habits move in?

No, please, really - stay in towns and villages and leave the wilderness to itself.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 15:00   #85

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
So what becomes of wilderness once all you guys with your noisy and polluting habits move in?

No, please, really - stay in towns and villages and leave the wilderness to itself.

b.

Don't worry.

Almost anyone who has had experience with a washing machine, air conditioning and a refrigerator will not stay long.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 17:21   #86

Boat: Stevens 47
Quote:
The big problem for nearly anybody would be the boredom (no TV, no beer, no nothing to entertain the spoiled mind).

And then would come some pangs of consciousness: 'oh by G., I am not working, I am not saving for my retirement, I want to have babies (with whom - with the monkey?), I am not attending the wholly mess ...'.

No, really, I think it is an academic discussion really.

barnie
The question (and one NOT taken lightly!) for all aspiring cruisers is....

Do you have what it takes to live life at 5 miles an hour??

Think about it......
Old 06-11-2010, 17:36   #87
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangiroo View Post
The question (and one NOT taken lightly!) for all aspiring cruisers is....

Do you have what it takes to live life at 5 miles an hour??

Think about it......
I love fast bikes like the Suzuki Katana 1100.... cant beat hacking down a country road at 120 - 130 mph....
Then I get on my little 21ftr... head out... hit the breeze.. a surge and a heel... the water rushes along the gunwale and the log reads 5kts and the rush is as good as a Katana....
Yup... I can live that fast....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 21:59   #88
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
This is without a doubt the fastest moving house I have ever lived in, (and she looks alot faster standing still than any of my cars looked standing still)...though to be honest I not quite used to 5 knots....7 knots is fin though.
Old 06-11-2010, 22:20   #89

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Ya sure you Betcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
This is without a doubt the fastest moving house I have ever lived in, (and she looks alot faster standing still than any of my cars looked standing still)...though to be honest I not quite used to 5 knots....7 knots is fin though.
Yep the salmon are running and fall is ending...time to get out there and enjoy the lack of other boats.
Now if you would just put the sprit back on that boat you would have it going on. Not a bad place to be considering the alternatives.

By the way, the people you are talking about are NOT rich. I have met the rich and I can assure you that the enemy is nowhere near as lame as you think. They will be as hard to eat as a grizzly....set your traps and sharpen up your knives.

Todd
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:52   #90

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I want to live in total seclusion in the wilderness where all YOU people are MILES from me.
I also want hot showers, a dishwasher and a convenient Supermarket with quality international cheese and deli section.

and ice-cream
And popcorn with butter, cumin, salt, a little black pepper, parmesan cheese, and chipotle tex/mex mix.
Where are you going to get that in the wilderness?

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote