View Poll Results: I would rather...
Live in civilization 13 19.40%
Live in the wilderness 26 38.81%
Live on a deserted island 22 32.84%
Undecided 6 8.96%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26-10-2010, 11:40   #16

Boat: Aries 32
I've spent most of the last 15 years in what most folks would consider wilderness, a fair bit of that time alone or in a small groups far from any support or contact, including several multi-month stays on the sea ice in Prudhoe Bay and a couple solo month-long trips - my "deserted island" in the Alaska Range. I'm now living (or trying to) in the middle of a few million people, with no real wilderness to be found. (The locals seem to think the Sierras are "wilderness" but, beautiful though they may be, I'm having a hard time finding it.)

I've never met anyone who spent long periods alone and wasn't a little crazy. I'm having a real hard time dealing with the random crime, crushing bureaucracy, and general disregard for other people here in the concrete jungle. I'd suggest that too much of either is not good for any of us.

McCandles starved in a ready-made structure 10 miles down a cat trail from houses, behind a river that's easily crossable about 11 months of the year (I've crossed it, landed on it's ice, and taken boats up it). He was a "poor little rich kid" who refused to look life in the eye. If that's someone you can relate to....

PS@rbates: a surprising number of trappers, miners, and bushrats now have satellite internet. Along with helping keep them sane, it helps keep their families sane. Technology is a wonderful thing, even in remote Alaska.

Old 26-10-2010, 15:22   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
For a great movie on surviving in the Artic and living off the land - look up "Never Cry Wolf" with Charles M Smith. You will instantly recognize him but never can remember his name. Great, if a little strange, movie.
Farley Mowat (author) strikes again. I haven't read that one yet.

Theo only wonder would be that it is but a 'little' strange.

Old 26-10-2010, 15:29   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Dustymc,

You ever read about Vilhjalmur Stefansson?

Arctic explorer.

Vilhjalmur Stefansson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A couple of books have been written by him, and about him. Also interesting is Bob Bartlett.

But the really facinating story is the indian woman who accompanied them, with baby in tow.
Old 26-10-2010, 15:56   #19
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
All the fuss and bother I am putting into my boat is to get away from civilization and take as little of it with me as possible. Though from time to time I would like to return just long enough to renew my disgust.
Old 26-10-2010, 16:15   #20
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by watersofdiego View Post
So I recently saw this movie "Into The Wild". Lets say you have a choice of living in civilization with all the conveniences or living in some remote location in the wilderness living of the land or even a deserted island somewhere. What would you rather do?
I'd like the challenge of the wilderness / desert island living (albeit with a plan B ). But I suspect that once (if?!) I had mastered it would soon get bored. "I spy with my little eye something beginning with Tree" or at least then want new challenges.

But I also suspect that I like the idea of wilderness living / the simple mod con free life far more than the actual doing - or at least not enough to get off my backside from civilisation Otherwise I would have done that by now............
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 16:48   #21

We have a wonderfull beach at Peel Island in Moreton bay (Qld Australia) during the weekend lots of yachts, and motorboats visit with children, dogs and scantily clad women.

On Sunday they all go home and you awake on Monday to a beautiful prestine beach that the high tide has remade all fresh and new again.

I make a great bacon and eggs breakfast with ice in my orange juice and I just love it.
Why would you live in a house
Old 26-10-2010, 17:09   #22

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria
Check out Thor Heyerdahl's "Fatu Hiva" - It's 1937 and Thor wants to get away from it all to a nice remote Marquesan island, then he wants to get away from the nice Marquesans themselves, then puts everything into fast reverse when he decides that maybe school and civilization weren't so bad.
Some curious and dated archeological conclusions in the book which might be skipped or skimmed...

Michael
Old 26-10-2010, 17:33   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Farley Mowat (author) strikes again. I haven't read that one yet.

Theo only wonder would be that it is but a 'little' strange.
The book is superior to the movie. It tells the "expanded" story of Farley's first assignment as an naturalist working for the Canadian government and will have you in stitches.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 19:10   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat
A question asked by someone who has never camped, I guess?

Imagine: no showers, no soap, no toilets, no toilet paper, no deodorant, no sanitary towels, no healthy diet, no dentist, no sunblock, no mosquito repellent ...

barnie
Old 26-10-2010, 19:34   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
A question asked by someone who has never camped, I guess?

Imagine: no showers, no soap, no toilets, no toilet paper, no deodorant, no sanitary towels, no healthy diet, no dentist, no sunblock, no mosquito repellent ...

barnie

That is why I am with Mark.
Old 26-10-2010, 19:41   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
Civilization. . . Granted it would be a whole lot nicer IF some folks would leave and go try out the wilderness and leave civilization for the civil...
Now there is a real dreamer. Refreshing.

The whole discussion of cruising on US$500/mo versus US$5000/mo is about whether you can live or want to live the "wilderness" level life style or live the "city/urban" life style. There is ocean enough for everybody.
Old 26-10-2010, 21:16   #27

Boat: Van de Stadt Victory 40 ketch
Send a message via Yahoo to kismet
Here is the story of a man that did it.

Tom Neale
An Island To Oneself - Suvarov, Cook Islands by Tom Neale
Old 26-10-2010, 21:39   #28
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
I couldn't wrap my mind around that thread of trying to make do on a cruising budget of only $5000/mo when that is half of my annual income.
Old 26-10-2010, 21:46   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Doesn't everyone want to "test" themselves at some point?

My brother and I did a backpacking trip in Tasmania during a summer years ago. Nothing but what we carried on our backs. Camping in fields and by rivers. Sure we camped in a lot a private property but it was a different time.

We ended up climbing Ben Lomond - in the summer - ski season closed. We totally underestimated the amount of water we would need or would find. Impetuousness of youth...

Eventually after about 12 hours or so a lone ranger truck came in the opposite direction.

"Cor, ya bloody drongoes. What the bloody 'ell are ya doin' up 'ere?"
"We're going to the top! Any water up there?"
"ain't no water nowhere, ya bloody idjits. Get in the truck and I'll take you down."

We were never in real danger but we certainly were dry and sheepishly accepted the ride down the mountain.

Another year in LA it was Christmas. We looked up on a clear Christmas morning and saw snow at the top of Mount Baldy.

"Let's do it!"

We parked at the top of Baldy Road and hiked up the ski runs. We must have hit the snow line at over 10,000 feet, well above the ski runs.

Of course we brought nothing to haul snow with so we offed our jackets and packed them full and proceeded to "ski" down the rocks and shoal of the runs. Getting down was a lot easier.

We were back in the early afternoon and were the only folks on the block with a (small) snowman and a (dirty) snowball fight that day.

Sometimes you gotta just get out there but you do have to keep an impartial view of the limits.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 05:36   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

A few years ago I cruised the south coast of Newfoundland. There are couple of remote towns, under 200 population, no roads but daily ferry service, when the ferry is not broke down.

There are also some very nice and deep fjords down there, all dotted with tiny cottages, so the locals have some place to "get away from it all."

Actually it probably makes more sense than it seems. The 'towns' are physically quite compact, not a whole lot of space with under a 30 degree slant. The towns have board walks or sidewalk paths, you can touch most houses just from the walks. The houses are more like slightly detached sleeping rooms. There must be a very small amount of privacy in such a small town where you are related to everyone, thrice.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: