Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-05-2016, 09:23   #31

Re: Life before Internet?

It is certainly a love-hate relationship with the internet in our family. We all have learned a great deal and accelerated our proficiency in many pursuits.

As the father of a 18 and 21 year old sons, I have found it challenging to minimize the impact of games and social media on their lives. I feel those carefully targeted compelling activities stifle creativity, adventure and initiative.

Thanks in large part to our efforts, my sons are 300% more active in non internet pursuits than their peers. At various times you will find them at the rifle range, in a duck blind, backpacking, playing soccer, chasing girls etc. But they spend half the time planning and executing adventure activities than I did at their age, and often it is only because we prompt them.

It is a different world out there, folks. 20 years ago, I complained about the "Nintendo generation" kids I was interviewing. It turns out they are pretty sharp in the corporate world.

Old 19-05-2016, 10:17   #32

Boat: Alberg #0

I live and breath the internet and was a very early adopter, well before browsers.

I'm most excited about future developments. Up until recently, the internet has "only" handled information. Bitcoin and it's blockchain technology allows the handling of value too and that's huge. Internet cash (bitcoin) is just the first application. Stocks, bonds with near instant settlement are other obvous areas too.

P.S. Bitcoin also happened to be the best performing asset in the world last year :-)

Old 20-05-2016, 20:15   #33

Location: Currently in South Pacific. Home Port: Vienna, Austria
Boat: Celestial, Stay'sl-Rigged Sloop, 48 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickpaul View Post
I live and breath the internet and was a very early adopter, well before browsers.

I'm most excited about future developments. Up until recently, the internet has "only" handled information. Bitcoin and it's blockchain technology allows the handling of value too and that's huge. Internet cash (bitcoin) is just the first application. Stocks, bonds with near instant settlement are other obvous areas too.

P.S. Bitcoin also happened to be the best performing asset in the world last year :-)
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Bitcoin outside the realm of government taxation and/or tracking and thus (for now, anyway) mayhaps why it's a lucrative choice for some?

Curious James......
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 21:11   #34

I do remember life before Internet. Unfortunately, yes, I find that it saves time and is necessary in my daily business life. However, I find it takes up too much of my free, quality time if not kept in check.
Old 20-05-2016, 22:36   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43

Quote:
But it lost 65% of it's value over the previous year and is still 35% below it's value two years ago. Hardly a ringing endorsement.
Old 21-05-2016, 13:51   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by svmariane View Post
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Bitcoin outside the realm of government taxation and/or tracking and thus (for now, anyway) mayhaps why it's a lucrative choice for some?

Curious James......
You are wrong. Any profit from value increasing and selling is a taxable event.

Government can track and does. It isn't annonymous.
Old 21-05-2016, 14:01   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
But it lost 65% of it's value over the previous year and is still 35% below it's value two years ago. Hardly a ringing endorsement.
and there was a point it was considered a bubble when it hit $1 and everyone said dollar parity was unsustainable.

The benefits are many and varied but I like the fact it solves creditcard identity theft especially. I just use bitcoin and know I'm safe. 1950's creditcard technology bolted onto the internet in the 90's for ecommerce is not a secure long term sustainable plan imo.
Old 21-05-2016, 18:41   #38

Quote:
You are wrong. Any profit from value increasing and selling is a taxable event.

Government can track and does. It isn't annonymous.
Okay. Thanks for the info. So, does that mean it's treated like holdings of foreign currency, with tax applicable only if a profit is obtained when converting back to "home" currency?

Just an ex-pat asking.....
Old 21-05-2016, 19:02   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoxograph View Post
Hab' gerade gesehen, dass du auch ein Ösi bist. Man findet uns einfach überall. Ich bin vor 20 Jahren nach Austrailen gezogen

I'm not a contestant on the GW thread rather a innocent bystander offering some basic physics knowledge to the combatants. I'm out of there as the direction is now going towards name calling. I'ts amazing how religious basic science can become in a believe based debate.
Apologies for this way-off-topic post.

Grüße! Entschuldige bitte, aber mein schriftliches Deutsch ist nicht sehr gut. My wife is German. I'm American by upbringing/passport. We met in Vienna - both of us worked/lived there - and for the next ten years tried to get around cultural & language problems.... between the two of us! Problem solved when we relocated to Thailand, because then it was "us against the world". Fortunately, since we've been sailing together for 20-something years, German & English have similar nautical expressions, like Steuerbord / Starboard. Comes in handy as we're full-time live-aboards.

And about Life before Internet? Hey, Bing Translator wasn't available back in the nineties!

James
Old 21-05-2016, 19:21   #40
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

While in a Zen phase, I wrote a poem many years ago about the dangers of information overload....before internet but appropriate to this discussion

The Koan of Time is a Paradox
or the oxymoron of Fate,
while the mind murders its Master,
.......the sense of Time going faster and faster......
the Gods of Love, of Life, of Death sublime,
Bury their heads in the sands of time.

Maxingout suggests that we make key decisions much quicker now based on Internet intelligence and tend to ignore our more basic feelings of what just seems right.....I agree.

Because of our accelerated sense if Time.... Decisions are now justified more often by a lump and a sum rather than made up of kneaded feelings
Old 21-05-2016, 22:19   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by svmariane View Post
Okay. Thanks for the info. So, does that mean it's treated like holdings of foreign currency, with tax applicable only if a profit is obtained when converting back to "home" currency?

Just an ex-pat asking.....
I'm not an accountant but from what I understand that yes, that is true in the US and most other juristictions.
Old 22-05-2016, 00:45   #42

Boat: Lagoon 420

My wife & I are in Vancouver tonight staying at a B&B that we found on the Internet only 5 minutes from where our son lives. We are each reading our tablet, me on CF her on Facebook and we haven't talked much tonight at all. But we are both connecting with other people and enjoying what we are reading and learning.

Back in winter we were onboard our boat in the Carib for 10 weeks with very limited internet, just when we were on shore, maybe an hour or two a day. Some days none. We talked a lot more, played cards, backgammon, scrabble, etc and read a number of books. Lots at hiking and exercise. We both agree it was refreshing to have that break.

Neither of us would want to be without internet because it is such a valuable tool in so many ways, but we need to keep it in balance because it can absorb an excessive amount of your time if you let it.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is you know - it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs. But what a ship is...really is, is freedom. ~Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow
krafthaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
internet

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: