Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2013, 12:08   #1

Liar, liar, pants on fire!

After reflecting on having watched Rakuflames get so beat up on the Abandon Ship thread I am struck by how some people, who I regard as nitpickers, seek to almost elementally distract from whatever point is at hand.

When someone, as in Raku's case, relates a second hand story. It's just that, a second hand story and should be taken with a grain of salt accordingly. It's the internet! I don't understand how hair splitting will change the core of her statements.

Details are the spice of life but often have little ultimate bearing on the substance of it. In the aforementioned thread, Raku's statements were proven to be largely based in fact and the nitpickers comments shown to be almost completely unproductive.

Before I question the veracity of someone's claims, I first tend to wonder motivates them in making their statement. Raku's has demonstrated herself to be a kindly grandmotherly type innocently following her bliss in pursuit of the same passion we all share, with absolutely nothing to gain through presenting a falsehood.

The fact that some people people question the veracity of her statements makes me question their motives and I am left with the conclusion they are interested in nothing other than enjoying contentious debate regardless of content.

When I say, in a different thread, I saw someone throw a paper airplane in the water and else someone calls me a liar seeking to embellish my story, I see a individual potentially unable to swallow the bitter pill I presented and likely motivated by their own denial.

Obfuscation through distraction is one if the oldest tricks in the book. As this is an Internet forum where opinionated people come to express their opinions, it should come as no surprise that distraction is readily employed here.

What I do find surprising is how infrequently it is recognized for what it is, and that some people allow themselves to be repeatedly baited by it. I find typically respondents control a conversion as much by what they choose/don't choose to respond to than they do with the content of what they say.

What say ye?
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 12:16   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Liar, liar, pants on fire!

This thread has nothing to do with pants on fire, so everything you just said is wrong.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 12:17   #3

I've seen some people on here tell some total bs stuff, usually involving firearms. One guy (this was a real gem) talked about how a USCG cutter was in silent mode and he (the liar) put a shot across the cutter's bow which then showed the cutter he wasn't to be trifled with and they steamed away. Or another guy who was explaining that he was at a fuel dock in Mexico and needed to whip out a pistol on some guys because some "**** was ready to go down" and he locked eyes on some dude and some other such trash.

Then there are people with 300k sea miles that could tell me they saw a sea monster and I'd believe them instantly.

So if you want people to believe you, it helps if you have a lot of credibility and miles tend to be indicative of that.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 12:19   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
What say ye?
I dont know, I have the popcorn in and waiting for the Tomahawk airshow to begin....

dave
Old 29-08-2013, 12:38   #5
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancy View Post
What say ye?
You talk like this is your first day on the internet

take it from an idiot liar non-expert that everything on the internet is 100% true or the electronic gods make it disappear
Old 29-08-2013, 12:39   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post

take it from an idiot liar non-expert that everything on the internet is 100% true or the electronic gods make it disappear
...liar or lair?

"...and, there is an ignore button.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 12:41   #7

Old 29-08-2013, 12:45   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
Sheesh!
Old 29-08-2013, 12:48   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post

As example of what I'm talking about I would address this comment by pointing out that having guns onboard makes you potentially much more hazardous to feral cats than not having them.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 12:50   #10

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

My pants are not on fire, but my hair is (or what's left of it). You should not put threads like this on the internet it encourages Lairing and ignoramusness.
It better stop raining I need to load groceries onto the boat.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 12:52   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
My pants are not on fire, but my hair is (or what's left of it). You should not put threads like this on the internet it encourages Lairing and ignoramusness.
It better stop raining I need to load groceries onto the boat.
Old 29-08-2013, 13:01   #12

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

I tracked the thread that Rakuflame was 'flamed' on and seem to sense that the flamers were folks who were basically armchair cruisers who hadn't spent a lot of time at sea but were very well read, intelligent and savy about maritime law.
Whether or not what she related was a first, second or third hand tale, I found it interesting and entertaining to follow.
She contributes postively to many discussions so everyone should just lighten up. Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 13:08   #13

Boat: Cal 2-27

Quote:
After reflecting on having watched Rakuflames get so beat up on the Abandon Ship thread I am struck by how some people, who I regard as nitpickers, seek to almost elementally distract from whatever point is at hand.

When someone, as in Raku's case, relates a second hand story. It's just that, a second hand story and should be taken with a grain of salt accordingly. It's the internet! I don't understand how hair splitting will change the core of her statements.

Details are the spice of life but often have little ultimate bearing on the substance of it. In the aforementioned thread, Raku's statements were proven to be largely based in fact and the nitpickers comments shown to be almost completely unproductive.

Before I question the veracity of someone's claims, I first tend to wonder motivates them in making their statement. Raku's has demonstrated herself to be a kindly grandmotherly type innocently following her bliss in pursuit of the same passion we all share, with absolutely nothing to gain through presenting a falsehood.

The fact that some people people question the veracity of her statements makes me question their motives and I am left with the conclusion they are interested in nothing other than enjoying contentious debate regardless of content.

When I say, in a different thread, I saw someone throw a paper airplane in the water and else someone calls me a liar seeking to embellish my story, I see a individual potentially unable to swallow the bitter pill I presented and likely motivated by their own denial.

Obfuscation through distraction is one if the oldest tricks in the book. As this is an Internet forum where opinionated people come to express their opinions, it should come as no surprise that distraction is readily employed here.

What I do find surprising is how infrequently it is recognized for what it is, and that some people allow themselves to be repeatedly baited by it. I find typically respondents control a conversion as much by what they choose/don't choose to respond to than they do with the content of what they say.

What say ye?
If your post had less spelling errors, I might take it seriously.
Old 29-08-2013, 13:08   #14

Quote:
...I am left with the conclusion [some people] are interested in nothing other than enjoying contentious debate regardless of content.
Uh... Yeah. This is the internet. What did you expect?

Best thing to do is ignore those kinds of people, but some people can't seem to bring themselves to do that. That's when you get out your popcorn and enjoy the show, or just move on (which is what I usually do).
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 13:08   #15

Uh, oh. Here we go again!