Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2016, 08:38   #46

Re: LEO and unwelcome sailors.

So it took three pages and someone else to finally get to what it was that the OP was trying to say. Wow!

I'm always willing to make allowances for the fact that the internet is global, and English might not be someone's mother language. In this case, that does not appear to apply. We seem to simply have someone who is ridiculously cryptic in his postings, and when asked for some clarification, chooses instead to become ever so much MORE cryptic. Again, wow.

Add to that the fact that the OP does not seem to have any legitimate complaint in the first place, and this is certainly one of the most bizarre threads that I've seen in quite a while. On the other hand, it does have a certain entertainment factor!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 08:47   #47

Boat: islandpacket

I think that the op is doing right to help a fellow sailor.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 29-07-2016, 09:08   #48
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonesoldier0408 View Post
This officer is talking to a golfer. The golf range consists of, "Little Tybee Island, GA." and an unwelcome sailor anchored next to Little Tybee Island.

Attachment 128186

The officer is Pat Welsh.
PM me if it was your sailboat. Date was 18 June 2016

Still surrounded by anchors.

How did we get from this to this..

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonesoldier0408 View Post
I see, putting ones head in the sand and telling yourself, "It is not happening," makes all go away.

Does anyone recall learning about a war for independence or why it was waged.

It's not happening to you, yet.

But then again, you probably own stock in Ky jelly, and like it rough.

Tell you descendants you chose to do nothing.

As for the sailboat owner, were his vessel damaged by the golfer, I would stand with that sailor in court.

To that...? I too am confused as to what you are trying to convey..??

Old 29-07-2016, 09:25   #49
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

C'mon, this guy was soundly dumped on and kept his cool unlike the other poster prone to elaborate, confusing non-sequitors and made up language. How come she gets a free pass when she can be quite vicious if you disagree with her or question her somewhat erratic use of English (?????).
Old 29-07-2016, 09:36   #50

I thought this was about sailors born between Jul 24 - Aug 23 (Leo star sign) being unwelcome, either because of a personality trait or because of a daily horoscope.

Given the daily horoscope I just found, maybe I was right... When was the OP born?

Be careful, you may be stabbed in the back by someone you trust. With the Sun returning to your sign of Leo you are very confident but may also overlook basic elements of social interaction. When speaking with others at this time it is essential that you read between the lines to understand who the culprit is. You are genuinely concerned for others and want to do something of a charitable nature. This is a creative activity and should be pursued. Some financial matter that you thought was going pear-shaped will now conclude and this will give you time to rest and relax. If you're feeling inhibited, frustrated or mad, you need to kick-start your sex life. If you are married, talk about this with your partner. If you're single, use the power of your mind to attract a sensitive lover.

Daily Meditation: In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure. - Bill Cosby
Old 29-07-2016, 09:49   #51

Golfing on green, or brown, depending on water and sun, raining balls, stars not aligned, LEO is roaring disapproval, as dogs whimper and golf gods rule islands, unfair fairway, thread drift despite anchors, is dog on bitch or beach, or just launch ramp... a complete collection of words to be interpreted by many with views that did not see the scene floating on by.
EzzyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 10:04   #52

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

Regarding zee's postings, I'm reminded of Archy and Mehitabel.

https://books.google.com/books?id=Ys...page&q&f=false

If you didn't know, and who under 80 years old or so would, Archy and Mehitabel was a newspaper column from about 100 years ago, (my dad had a copy of one of the books), Archy was a cockroach who wrote free verse by climbing onto a typewriter roller and diving headfirst onto the keys.
He obviously couldn't hold down the "shift" key so there wasn't any caps or punctuation.

And this concludes the obscure literature lesson for today.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 16:39   #53

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzzyD View Post
Golfing on green, or brown, depending on water and sun, raining balls, stars not aligned, LEO is roaring disapproval, as dogs whimper and golf gods rule islands, unfair fairway, thread drift despite anchors, is dog on bitch or beach, or just launch ramp... a complete collection of words to be interpreted by many with views that did not see the scene floating on by.
I'll have some of what you're taking!
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 17:32   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
C'mon, this guy was soundly dumped on and kept his cool unlike the other poster prone to elaborate, confusing non-sequitors and made up language. How come she gets a free pass when she can be quite vicious if you disagree with her or question her somewhat erratic use of English (?????).
It's called the cult of personality.

On every website, there are a couple of characters that get a free pass to do as they please, in some cases even have rabid followers who will defend them under any circumstances, all in a bid to be seen as cool among the sheep in the flock.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 18:16   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
So you admit you had a dog on the beach and the local law/ordinance/etc... prohibits dogs on the beach and you got a ticket for it.

Trying to claim it's unfair because the other guy broke the law is like trying to get out of a speeding ticket because other people speed and didn't get a ticket. Sounds good but doesn't get you out of the ticket.

I'm not suggesting the cop should have let the guy hit golf balls at the boat but hardly a threat to our civil liberties.
The guy is trying to chase down somebody who was trying to (and perhaps did) deliberately damage an anchored boat. I'd be P.O.'d too if a cop finds that less problematic than a dog (if friendly) loose along the shore. My 2 cents. If I found somebody driving golf balls at my boat he'd end up wearing the club. I'd probably just pet the dog.
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 18:19   #56

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzzyD View Post
This is the best poetic post i think i've ever seen.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 19:07   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob2 View Post
The guy is trying to chase down somebody who was trying to (and perhaps did) deliberately damage an anchored boat. I'd be P.O.'d too if a cop finds that less problematic than a dog (if friendly) loose along the shore. My 2 cents. If I found somebody driving golf balls at my boat he'd end up wearing the club. I'd probably just pet the dog.
Exactly. And there appears to be some question as to whether that particular spot was the beach, or private property.

It wouldn't be the first time a cop was wrong about where exactly he was standing. I had a BLM ranger stop me once and tell me that I needed to display an ISDRA pass at all times. I corrected him, explaining that the other half of the sentence was "while on federal property." That's actually not correct, since it was actually public lands administered by the BLM for the recreational use of the general public.

When he asked me where I thought we were, I informed him that I knew for a fact that he was standing on private property at that moment, and the federal rules were not applicable there. He looked at his partner, who confirmed what I'd just told him, and he sheepishly walked back to his truck and shut off his lights.

They don't like being wrong, but if you maintain a cheerful, friendly tone, they usually don't push it any farther. If you start acting like you ain't got no sense then you stand a good chance of becoming another #BLM statistic.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 19:53   #58

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

I don't understand the surrounded by anchors comment that is repeated over and over.

What kind of anchors? Bruce? CQR? Mantus? Ultra? Were any of them dragging? What kind of rode? How much scope?

Are you still surrounded? Are you able to move?
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 22:34   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Dear me, Here I learned to sail on the Back river at Tybee Is. a longggg time ago. Actually the river is called tybee creek, but everyone just called it the back river. I'm guessing parking at the boat ramp is still as big a pain as 35 years ago.

Being the south, Little Tybee island is actually 3-4 times the size of Tybee. Though no one lives on it. Saw my first shark chasing, my little Force 5, at little Tybee. I was not happy that day.

Saw a power boat try to zoom past me, while I was sailing in 10" inches of water across the sand bar, with the dagger board pulled ALL the way up.. That did not end well for him.

The Tybee police... What can I say.... It's Georgia. Lots of good Ol boys down there.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2016, 00:11   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
Exactly. And there appears to be some question as to whether that particular spot was the beach, or private property.

It wouldn't be the first time a cop was wrong about where exactly he was standing. I had a BLM ranger stop me once and tell me that I needed to display an ISDRA pass at all times. I corrected him, explaining that the other half of the sentence was "while on federal property." That's actually not correct, since it was actually public lands administered by the BLM for the recreational use of the general public.

When he asked me where I thought we were, I informed him that I knew for a fact that he was standing on private property at that moment, and the federal rules were not applicable there. He looked at his partner, who confirmed what I'd just told him, and he sheepishly walked back to his truck and shut off his lights.

They don't like being wrong, but if you maintain a cheerful, friendly tone, they usually don't push it any farther. If you start acting like you ain't got no sense then you stand a good chance of becoming another #BLM statistic.
It's pretty difficult to tell but I saw no indication that the OP is claiming the ticket for having a dog on the beach is not legitimate.

I also never said the cop shouldn't have gotten after the guy hitting golf balls at the boat (assuming that is what actually happened which is open to debate considering the coherency of the OP's posts).

I'm wondering if the OP didn't politely point out the issue but immediately started into a rant directed at the LEO, at which point the LEO was disinclined to listen to the rant and if it turned nasty took umbrage. While technically a LEO should be above personalizing situations, it's human nature and may have resulted in a ticket for illegally having a dog on the beach.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail