Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2013, 21:53   #1

Legal Stuff

I was just wondering, since the Constitution of the US guarantees freedom from search and seizure without due process, specifically a warrant issued that describes the place to be searched and the items searched for, how does that interlink with the USCG and other LEO's like local sheriffs deputies boarding vessels within the US waters?
It's a question that's been nagging me for some time, as I often hear of USCG and LEO's boarding vessels for 'safety inspections' and searches w/o the requisite warrants.
Come on, legal seadogs, enlighten the landlubber!!

Article [IV]

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
lostsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 21:59   #2

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
Re: Legal Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsheep View Post
I was just wondering, since the Constitution of the US guarantees freedom from search and seizure without due process, specifically a warrant issued that describes the place to be searched and the items searched for, how does that interlink with the USCG and other LEO's like local sheriffs deputies boarding vessels within the US waters?
It's a question that's been nagging me for some time, as I often hear of USCG and LEO's boarding vessels for 'safety inspections' and searches w/o the requisite warrants.
Come on, legal seadogs, enlighten the landlubber!!

Article [IV]

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
Title 14 section 89 of the United States Code authorizes the U.S. Coast Guard to board vessels subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, anytime, any place upon the high seas and upon any waterway over which the United States has jurisdiction, to make inquires, examinations, inspections, searches, seizures, and arrests. The U.S. Coast Guard does not require a warrant to conduct search, seizures, arrests over any United States Waterway or high seas. The U.S. Coast Guard also have full legal law enforcement power on any land under the control of the United States, as needed to complete any mission.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 22:54   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Legal Stuff

The basic fact is... the USA reserves the right to board any vessel anywhere it deems fit regardless of Constitutional or any other persons rights any where in the world it deems fit... whether you like it or not.. if you resist then force WILL be applied...
And thems the facts... like it or lump it..
That's the perks of being self appointed World Sheriff...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 02:04   #4

tle 14 section 89 of the United States Code authorizes the U.S. Coast Guard to board vessels subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, anytime, any place upon the high seas and upon any waterway over which the United States has jurisdiction, to make inquires, examinations, inspections, searches, seizures, and arrests. The U.S. Coast Guard does not require a warrant to conduct search, seizures, arrests over any United States Waterway or high seas. The U.S. Coast Guard also have full legal law enforcement power on any land under the control of the United States, as needed to complete any mission. __________________

That's a bit scary, in as it includes vast portions of land AND waterways. They just threw the rulebook under the bus. And, since Constitutionally, only a Navy is continually funded (which would include the Marines) without the Pres begging Congress for money ( every 2 years), the Navy is assigned as the bastion against invasion of the borders. To have CG on the rivers and lakes in a military stance is quite unnerving. It completely circumvents the founding document that defines(d) our Republic.
Has anyone ever questioned this in a major court?

Not that it would do any good in the current political environment....it seems they just do what they want, and make new rules as needed.
lostsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 03:24   #5
Armchair Bucketeer

The US Constitution has been irrelevant since the Bush Coup of '74.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 03:59   #6

Boat: MorganByCatalina OutIslandClassic '41
The War of 1812 was fought to insure that maritime commerce and sailors within US waters are protected and regulated by the US. In order to make it so, the right to board and seize shipping was vested in the US Navy. When US Marines went into Mexico after Pancho Villa, a court battle insued. The result of that dispute is now known as Posse Comitatas. That rule holds that the US military services are NOT to be used for, by or as law enforcement (except under very particular circumstances that I can't fully recall as I lay here in the berth listening to the rain). Anyway, that's why USCG does not belong to DoD. USCG is the sole federal maritime law enforcement agency. They have inherited the rights made necessary by Washington DC in 1812 designed to protect US shipping from boarding and seizure by foreigners.

The Constitution is often overridden by the necessities of war. The thing is, those overrides sometimes tend to be permanent.
CaptainDana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 04:23   #7
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

this is all another reason we are leaving America, to not return. disgusting. 2081 (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 04:53   #8

Boat: MorganByCatalina OutIslandClassic '41
Before anyone corrects my erroneous explanation of the genesis of the Posse Comitatas Act (PCA), please allow me to correct it. PCA originated as a deal with southerners during reconstruction in order to break a deadlock over the election of R.B.Hayes who lost the popular vote but won the electoral vote. The effect of PCA is as I described it previously. The Pancho Villa affair (Army not Marines) is an example of how PCA sometimes gets ignored. Mea Culpa for posting fractured history. I'm getting old.
CaptainDana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 04:56   #9

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post

Bush Coup of '74 ?

Name:   thCAMAKWA5.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  5.8 KB

Que ?
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 06:04   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
It is interesting that our friends on the other side of the pond portend to know more about the subject. Perhaps articulation is in order.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 06:07   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainDana View Post
Before anyone corrects my erroneous explanation of the genesis of the Posse Comitatas Act (PCA), please allow me to correct it. PCA originated as a deal with southerners during reconstruction in order to break a deadlock over the election of R.B.Hayes who lost the popular vote but won the electoral vote. The effect of PCA is as I described it previously. The Pancho Villa affair (Army not Marines) is an example of how PCA sometimes gets ignored. Mea Culpa for posting fractured history. I'm getting old.
I give you bonus points for even knowing the history. You're doing far better than the majority of the citizens. And that is an unfortunate and sad thing to admit.
Old 23-06-2013, 06:13   #12

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

I always find it interesting when someone brings up the Constitution in connection with vessel inspections by the US Coast Guard, like they just solved the great conspiracy...

None of us, our parents or our grandparents were even alive when all this started and complaining about it now is silly.

If you don't like the rules... Then move out of the USA or sell your boat!

Of course if you chose to move out, other countries will also search your boat and may not be as polite about it as the USCG.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 06:42   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
I always find it interesting when someone brings up the Constitution in connection with vessel inspections by the US Coast Guard, like they just solved the great conspiracy...

None of us, our parents or our grandparents were even alive when all this started and complaining about it now is silly.

If you don't like the rules... Then move out of the USA or sell your boat!

Of course if you chose to move out, other countries will also search your boat and may not be as polite about it as the USCG.
Righteous, brother. But know your history, know your rights. FYI: your rights are not found on Google or YouTube.
Old 23-06-2013, 08:55   #14

Boat: Able 50

Did someone say Righteous brothers ?

savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 09:20   #15

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
Righteous, brother. But know your history, know your rights. FYI: your rights are not found on Google or YouTube.
Your rights to bear arms stop at the territorial waters of the USA... Good luck trying to explain to a foreign government why you shot one of their citizens, because he walked onto your boat!

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
legal