Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2010, 21:42   #1

Leaving Australia 2

I recently posted a message in regard to leaving Australia.

A number of members replied and asked me why would I leave Australia.

If a cruiser would like a personal, informed opinion from someone who lives in the country they intend to visit I think we as members should be entitled to give our views.

You can private email me through this forum for my view on Australian bureauracy and how it relates to Cruising in Australian waters.
Beware, some private comments may have a political slant.
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2010, 22:10   #2

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
I understand how people can feel some ambivalence toward their home countries. Very often, the devil that we know seems worse than the devil that we don't know.

When I spent five years sailing and working in the Caribbean, I saw people move down to the different islands that I visited. It was rare that people stayed long term in any offshore location. The shine wore off most destinations within a couple of years, and most people lost money when they sold their offshore property. I think that is one of the reasons that I like cruising on a yacht. I can take my house anywhere in the world, and if the shine wears off, I can move on.

After living overseas for 28 years, I have a hard time believing that I could live in a single location for a long period of time. The world is too big, and there are too many interesting things to do.

I regard my nationality and homeland as a parachute sea anchor. If all hell breaks loose, I can always go home. It might not be my first choice, but at least it is a place where I can regroup for the next adventure. No place is perfect, and I'm not looking for perfection in my homeland or in a particular destination. Every place has its good and bad points. As long as they don't prevent me from living my dreams, I am willing to make compromises that keep my dreams alive.

When all is said and done, home is where the heart is.

Home is where the heart is.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2010, 23:15   #3

As always, good comments dave.

A friend of mine has recommended the phillipines (not the south) though he has been there with no problems.
I need some interior timber fitting out done as well.
Have you been there, what do you think.
Regards,
Beau
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2010, 21:30   #4

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
I spent two weeks in the Philippines (northern part) many years ago, and I enjoyed it. I also worked with many people from the Philippines at our hospital in Arabia. There were about 500 of them working at our hospital. They are good people, hard working, and do excellent work when you find people who have the special skills that you need. As long as a person is careful about where they sail, and if you are willing to weather the typhoons, I see no reason to not go there. Every place has compromises, and I don't think the compromises there are any greater than any other place on planet earth. I would love to live there and cruise there for a year or two. I don't think I would like to go through their typhoons.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2010, 00:29   #5

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
Beau,
rules are made for reason. I think that if you want to leave, then pack up and go. Australia is the lucky country. If you find a better country, please let me know what it is, I will move there to.

https://trekkingthesea.blogspot.com.au/
surfingminniwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2010, 00:55   #6

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau View Post
I recently posted a message in regard to leaving Australia. A number of members replied and asked me why would I leave Australia.............You can private email me through this forum for my view on Australian bureauracy and how it relates to Cruising in Australian waters.......Beware, some private comments may have a political slant.
Having visited many countries, I must say it always nice to come home to Australia. If I had to call anywhere else home, I think New Zealand could come a close 2nd. Yes there is bureacracy but it's for a reason. If it's a little misguided sometimes toward cruisers, at least it doesn't have imbeded corruption like so many of our near neighbours. To the cruiser obeying the law who is polite to officialdom and considerate of others, I say Australia is both a fabulous country to live in and to travel through.

Greg
Old 25-06-2010, 01:40   #7

Boat: Jeanneau 57
I've been fortunate enough to grow up and live in many countries (I lived in 9 countries for more than a year) and have visited many more for several months of working.

Of all the places that I've lived and worked in to date, Australia is at the top of my list and if their 457 Visa policy hadn't changed I would be there today. While the government certainly babys its citizens, the country has a democracy which could change that policy if the voters really wanted that change.
Old 25-06-2010, 02:53   #8

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser
Hay,

Beau we got a new redhead for the top job things can only improve!

Please stop on the way thru so I get some of your freshly brewed duty free white fire water.

Regards "happy retiree"
bill good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2010, 04:22   #9

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill good View Post
Hay,

Beau we got a new redhead for the top job things can only improve!
Mate, you can't help buy love our Julia!

https://trekkingthesea.blogspot.com.au/
surfingminniwinni is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia