Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-05-2011, 21:15   #61

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler
Re: Kayaks and Death Wish

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
True, but they have no special privelege over any other vessels like sailboats have over motorcraft. People-powered vessels have no rank; they're "beneath" all sail and engine-powered craft and they should consider themselves fortunate to be considered in the same light as engine-powered vessels.

If we get tired of this subject, perhaps we could discuss sailboards and such.
I can't say with certainty where they fit...just like anchored vessels.. they are in there for lights, shapes and sound signals...but no mention specifically where they fit in other "gray areas"...it's just assumed they are not part of the steering rules...not every situation is addressed..but rule 2 says ya gotta use your head and if you ever have a collision with a kayak or even a close call...I'll bet the maritime hearing isn't going to be favorable to you...despite the Lake George case...

Old 23-05-2011, 21:33   #62

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
..but rule 2 says ya gotta use your head and if you ever have a collision with a kayak or even a close call...I'll bet the maritime hearing isn't going to be favorable to you...despite the Lake George case...
Maybe I need an even bigger, louder horn. (I'll huff, and I'll puff, and I'll blow you away.)

Old 23-05-2011, 22:29   #63

The ones I usually see that are clueless as to what they are doing are the tourists out in the rental kayaks...they will be out just sitting in the middle of the channel without a clue.
Old 23-05-2011, 22:48   #64

Boat: Newport 28

Quote:
Please shoot some warning shots first so we'll know you are out there.
Will do!

As I said, the comment about shooting was tongue in cheek. More seriously, when paddling I have a red kayak, reflector tape on my paddle tips, orange pfd, and if it's wet and cold I'm usually wearing a red or yellow jacket. I also carry a waterproof handheld vhf. I have a bright headlamp (and even a strobe if things get really gnarly), but for much of the summer at this latitude days are long and nights are short. The few hours it really gets dark I'm usually tired and snug in my sleeping bag.

I should also point out that I've heard almost the same discussion as this thread, only it was the big ship people complaining about all those idiot sailboats who get in their way. Years ago I did some sailing (and paddling) down on Galveston Bay, and heard stories of near misses when sailboats and other recreational craft got in the way of tankers, tugs, barges etc. Now I hear much the same from friends in the Puget Sound area. It isn't just kayakers who are the problem.
Old 24-05-2011, 12:33   #65
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

I tried to run them down and I missed every time - they are just not beamy enough.

In kayak always turn your stern towards the oncoming boat - your chances of getting hit become very slim ;-)))

b.
Old 24-05-2011, 13:34   #66

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I tried to run them down and I missed every time - they are just not beamy enough.

In kayak always turn your stern towards the oncoming boat - your chances of getting hit become very slim ;-)))
This bow is made for ramming "driftwood" :

Old 24-05-2011, 13:52   #67
Armchair Bucketeer

Can you eat what you run over?
Old 24-05-2011, 14:02   #68

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45

In the course of your Life; It tis better to be bumped by a Kayak then being run down by a mega yacht.

At least you can invite the kayaker aboard for a sip or two while discussing silly and dangerous things that men & women do in their lives.
Old 24-05-2011, 14:19   #69
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post

I think we are going to need more details as your term of "eat" in this case, specific to your intentions.
Old 24-05-2011, 14:29   #70

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:

The aquatic version of roadkill?
Old 24-05-2011, 14:31   #71

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50
Other than sunny-day paddles in play boats, I treat my kayaks as real vessels... with full attention to visibility and communications. The link below shows the Aire Sea Tiger I used for a few years, with LED nav lights, orange safety flag on antenna mast, marine VHF, GPS, and ham radio. Around Puget Sound, this paid off frequently... though it did raise eyebrows among fellow kayakers.

A friend and I arrived at a raft-up of sailboats in our kayaks once, and I called out... "sorry, we forgot our fenders"

A skipper hollered back: "you ARE the fenders!"

http://microship.com/resources/harsh...ment-aprs.html

Steve (who now carries a Hobie pedal-inflatable aboard a steel Amazon 44)
Old 24-05-2011, 14:34   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microship View Post
Other than sunny-day paddles in play boats, I treat my kayaks as real vessels... with full attention to visibility and communications. The link below shows the Aire Sea Tiger I used for a few years, with LED nav lights, orange safety flag on antenna mast, marine VHF, GPS, and ham radio. Around Puget Sound, this paid off frequently... though it did raise eyebrows among fellow kayakers.
That's great but where does the person go

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2011, 14:57   #73

Quote:
Why would you want to eat another man....Thats gross!!
Old 24-05-2011, 15:15   #74

Boat: Tartan 33

Quote:

People-powered vessels have no rank; they're "beneath" all sail and engine-powered craft

Ahhh..... dude.... I'm having a problem with that whole "beneath" thing. Perhaps we could use "subordinant to..."

Like my profile says I'm moving out of the human powered micro-sailing arena to larger 30 footer for now till I get more deck time. So I don't want to be seen as carrying the human powered flag.

BUT- a competent kayaker making his way in 3-4 footers, needs some elbow room. As conditions permit----A competent paddler adjusts cadence to cross ahead or behind traffic. A competent sailor adjusts to pass far enough astern of the kayak not to interfere.

Bill

PS- don't need the 44... Any competent paddler always has a PFD on. And carries 3-4 aerial flares. Just need to work out windage and elevation
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ismael ---- NEW website! www.USCGMaster.com
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2011, 18:41   #75

Boat: 29'

It's the size/speed thing again...if it was a rowing shell,it's fast,quite long but still "paddled".A captain's barge..same thing...they aren't "outside" the rules.They must make an effort ,same as everybody else.If small craft are burdened but just can't get out of your way,they still must try applying the rules.So others know how to avoid 'em and what they won't do.If you are in a kayak and feel you need avoid everything,you may confuse as much as help.Not to say you have "a right to die for" but mostly, just keep on til' you can't safely.

Size does not matter,rule wise.If you want to "give them a break",do it early and plainly,is all.
..and the "no-status" is a nogo too.They're longer,bigger than my dinghy and she's a vessel.Innertubes might be arguable as "vessels" but not with a paddle or sail rigged

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: