Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2016, 20:18   #1

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
Jury duty?

We have a mail forwarding service that provides us with a "permanent address". Im sure many of you do as well. Do you recieve jury duty summons? What do you do if this happens when you are elsewhere?
I ask because BF seems to be the consumate juror. He gets called quite often.
Old 08-08-2016, 20:34   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
re: Jury duty?

It's just another cruising pain in the ass. An email is about all you can do aside from ignoring it.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 20:57   #3

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44
re: Jury duty?

I've been called twice. Once I had just been layed off from a job and I sent a letter to the judge saying that jury duty would be a hardship as I was attempting to find work. The second time I was out of the country and it was not possible for me to get home in time to report. Both times the judge involved excused me.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 22:33   #4

Re: Jury duty?

So i have to wait for the call of jury. Keeping an eye on my email! lol
rubbywilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 13:45   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i was called 2 times while cruising gom in an 11 month period. i got home to find the mail. ok i called and said i just got home from a trip and found the notice. they re arrange ye and you go another day. when they found out i was disabled nurse, no mas de jury duty. ok i like that.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 15:49   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Yes, zee, there are a number of things you can do in your work life that will get you bumped from a jury, most of the helping professions, because we've dealt with the damages caused by misbehavior, and are not unbiased.

Ann
Old 10-08-2016, 20:46   #7

Boat: Tartan 3000

For a good decade or more the jury summons was tossed in the circular file. Then I went to one jury service. Waste of Time! Next one goes in the file. What can they Do?
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 21:36   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Florida View Post
For a good decade or more the jury summons was tossed in the circular file. Then I went to one jury service. Waste of Time! Next one goes in the file. What can they Do?
Judges can send a sheriff to go look for you, and failure to report can result in contempt of court.

However - in reality if you're out cruising and the address is not really your domicile and just for mail receiving purposes, you're not really obligated to serve.
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 21:57   #9

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

Even if you're going to get bumped, you still have to show up and go through the Voir Dire ********.
I'm now old enough that my wife can fill out the form attesting to the fact that I'm no longer mentally competent.
The fact that I recently bought that 30' ketch could be used as proof of my failing mental capacity.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 22:11   #10

Boat: Skookum 53'

It has happened to me a number of times, and my Mom calls the clerk and tells them I am overseas and cannot participate, and they let me off. I think this has happened enough they don't call me anymore, too bad, I like being on a jury, I feel like that is where the common person can actually insure that justice is done.
Old 11-08-2016, 00:32   #11
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Jury duty.

Too bad so few understand the second word.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 00:45   #12

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Before we went cruising, I appeared for jury duty 3 times while I was employed as a chemical dependency counselor. Three times, I was bounced. Pah!

Before I had that employment, I was accepted.

Yes, it's a duty, a responsibility, but one loses one day's pay, for $6.00 back in those days, and it wasn't a good deal. So yes, it definitely is a duty, but I'm not going to be throwing any stones, here.

Ann
Old 11-08-2016, 00:52   #13

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

We get our mail about 2-3x a year. First time we got a notice we were getting mail more often as we were in the USA but a long way from Fla. So I called and they said ok you can come next week on Tuesday - I said I am 2,000nm way it is not possible and they said it was my duty - I said fine and ignore the rest. We just ignore them. It is a long way from the Med to the USA and I would guess the court is not going to pay for my airline ticket or hotel just to dismiss me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV DestinyAscen View Post
Judges can send a sheriff to go look for you, and failure to report can result in contempt of court.

However - in reality if you're out cruising and the address is not really your domicile and just for mail receiving purposes, you're not really obligated to serve.

It would be great to see the sheriff show in the Black Sea or Med to arrest me for non reporting - Now that would be funny
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 02:28   #14

Boat: Vagabond 14

Jury summons notes will sometimes include info on things that are valid excuses or exemptions.

What is a valid excuse or exemption varies from state to state in the US and certainly would vary for other countries that use juries.

Being on an extended vacation is generally seen as a valid excuse from the current pool but not an exemption. (they'll summon again in maybe 6 weeks so you can tell them again that you still aren't "home" yet)

Some exemptions are temporary... some are permanent.

Check the rules that apply to the jurisdiction where you are getting the summons.

Would be no fun to show up at the customs office and be put in cuffs for contempt of court bench warrant... then X days in jail * Y times you failed to appear.
TurninTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 02:35   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
It has happened to me a number of times, and my Mom calls the clerk and tells them I am overseas and cannot participate, and they let me off. I think this has happened enough they don't call me anymore, too bad, I like being on a jury, I feel like that is where the common person can actually insure that justice is done.
Completely agree, plus it's way more interesting than watching Law and Order on TV.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote