Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2015, 16:26   #1

Boat: Beneteau 46
Jollier Roger: An Alternative to Glamorizing the C+B

Ahoy Sailors,

Occasionally on a short trip to Catalina or the like, friends will ask in a pirate voice "where be your skull and crossbones!?" I guess pirates (in the classical sense, not those jerks in Somali) have been pretty glamorized in Hollywood lately (Thanks, Johnny Depp). So, I get the desire to be a swashbuckling, rum swigging pirate for a weekend. Unfortunately, the Jolly Roger ultimately represents lots of things I'm not a big fan of (stealing, murder, rape, pillaging, slavery, and so forth). I know there were some relatively "good" pirates (eg Jean Lafitte) so I don't mind the idea of celebrating certain aspects (freedom) that a life of piracy may have provided by flying a piratey flag. I'll never be eager to fly a black skull and cross bones, so I came up with something less ominous.

I put this on a dark blue flag I had printed by one of the many custom flag printing websites. I haven't flown it on a sail yet but I expect it to amuse my crew without inducing too many eye-rolls in the harbour. Maybe it will even invite some friendly encounters w/ mooring neighbours who also like a little bubbly. What are your thoughts?
Direct PNG Link
Imgur Page

I'm happy to share and hope someone likes this well enough to also get it printed up and fly it! I also have an .svg, so PM me if you want that to get a different size or background color or something.

Side note, I do not condone or recommend drunken sailing. I do condone and recommend indulging yourself within reason once you're safely moored, anchored, or docked... if you're into that sorta thing, of course.

Cheers,
G
gcraney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:31   #2

Boat: Beneteau 46
Re: Jollier Roger: An Alternative to Glamorizing the C+B

With the title I meant to be dramatic with Cross Bones but realize now that doesn't make much sense because everyone thinks Skull and Crossbones S&C... anyhoo....
gcraney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:38   #3

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

I have the same sentiments about pirate flags. Although I think your design is clever I don't feel the need to fly any flag other than national courtesy flag, USA flag and on occasion a yacht club burgee.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:28   #4

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

A better title would have helped your cause.

I have pirate flags, but only fly them at pirate parties.

I like this quote... "I intend to see to it that any man who sails under a pirate flag or wears a pirate brand gets what he deserves: A short drop and sudden stop."

Not a fan of the "I'm a drunk" flags either (featuring beer/wine/martini glasses)

My preferred way of saying "Up Spirits"...
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:23   #5

While I have a neutral attitude toward pirate flags I never understood the animosity they breed in some people. Many things and concepts changed since 300 years ago and so to associate today's Hollywood inspired use with those old crimes just does not make sense to me. It's like rejecting most dishes from the menus of todays' French or Italian restaurants just because 300 years ago those dishes were only made at the poorest peasant tables.

Besides, many a time those pirates of old got a bad rap only because they flouted authorities and acted "above their station in life" as the saying went, i.e. they were "too uppity" for the average aristocrat of the day (who else was writing and reporting on their activities?). Any parallels come to mind?
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:25   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

Hehehe: pretty cool!

This Roger looks pretty jolly for sure.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 15:09   #7

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcraney View Post
Unfortunately, the Jolly Roger ultimately represents lots of things I'm not a big fan of (stealing, murder, rape, pillaging, slavery, and so forth).
G
As a devout Pastafarian, my religion (Pirates « Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster) holds that pirates were 'peaceful explorers' who would travel the world delivering candy to children, Their unsavory image is the result of a centuries long smear campaign. So fly your jolly roger with a clean conscience.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote