Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2011, 09:42   #106

Boat: 1977 S2 8.0
Lots of law enforcement officers have beefs with private security but most accept the credentials and move on. If they don't like the laws regarding car markings and uniforms they need to change not harass the officers. Private security is just like poise underpaid to do a dangerous job. They aren't just "mall cops" here they work in the worst neighborhoods and get shot and stabbed and sometimes when they drive home harassed for their appearance. It is sad and wrong.
Tori is offline   Reply
Old 28-08-2011, 09:49   #107
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: Joe Was Arrested

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
i've allways used "no fixed abode" as my home address,and "poste restante" as my mailing address,the only permernant address is my email.....does that make me a vagrant in a half million dollar yacht?...........
It might in Sanford Fla. I didnt think there were any permanent residences in Fla. thought they were all temps. oh well...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply
Old 28-08-2011, 09:57   #108

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

In England there existed the 1530 Egyptian Act aimed at Gypsies and later extended to include most other so called travelers with no set residence or abode. Punishments for those who did not settle down and adopt a conventional lifestyle included confiscation of goods, deportation, and even execution; additionally they were also among the first to be pressed into the Army or Navy during time of war for as long as Press Gangs were allowed in Britain. At times they were tolerated as traveling tinkers, blacksmiths, and farm labourers so long as work was needed. After WW2 there was a time of greater tolerance, and subsequent laws such as the 1960 Caravan Act and the 1968 Caravan Sites Act addressed the situation of Gypsies and Travelers and others with no permanent address. The situation became worse in 1994 when the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act which in essence removed most of the positive aspects of the Caravan and Caravan Sites act, and increased the powers of the police to evict and harass those who could not find legal places to reside.

It seems therefore that Florida laws are neither unique nor terribly draconian compared to those enacted in other countries.
Old 28-08-2011, 09:57   #109
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tori View Post
Lots of law enforcement officers have beefs with private security but most accept the credentials and move on. If they don't like the laws regarding car markings and uniforms they need to change not harass the officers. Private security is just like poise underpaid to do a dangerous job. They aren't just "mall cops" here they work in the worst neighborhoods and get shot and stabbed and sometimes when they drive home harassed for their appearance. It is sad and wrong.
all the more reason to become an "ocean gypsy"

homeless in paradise.............
atoll is offline   Reply
Old 28-08-2011, 10:03   #110
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
In England there existed the 1530 Egyptian Act aimed at Gypsies and later extended to include most other so called travelers with no set residence or abode. Punishments for those who did not settle down and adopt a conventional lifestyle included confiscation of goods, deportation, and even execution; additionally they were also among the first to be pressed into the Army or Navy during time of war for as long as Press Gangs were allowed in Britain. At times they were tolerated as traveling tinkers, blacksmiths, and farm labourers so long as work was needed. After WW2 there was a time of greater tolerance, and subsequent laws such as the 1960 Caravan Act and the 1968 Caravan Sites Act addressed the situation of Gypsies and Travelers and others with no permanent address. The situation became worse in 1994 when the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act which in essence removed most of the positive aspects of the Caravan and Caravan Sites act, and increased the powers of the police to evict and harass those who could not find legal places to reside.
they even want to make squatting illegal now.........................................:whist ling:
.i may have to give up my 2nd home
atoll is offline   Reply
Old 28-08-2011, 10:04   #111

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
please don't feel that way..this is an incredibly beautiful place. sailing in SW fla is wondeful, esp in the winter when everyone else are on the hard and teeth chattering.
I know places that would leave you stunned with thier beauty.. like all states we have our glitches. I have never lived anywhere there is always some local yokel that has an agenda...one barney fife who has some axe to grind about something. Its the nature of the law enforcement beast. Never let that ruin your day.... in any place if you drive around with expired tags it sets you up for getting stopped.

While working short term up in Maryland I had my license stolen.. or so I thought... to get a replacement Florida used my archived photo and the address in maryland. You should have seen the look on the cop who stopped me face when he saw a maryland address on a florida drivers license. He ran it and came back I was legal but he found it not too amusing. No ticket.. I was a VA nurse on temp assignment..

Please come down and see for yourself... it all depends, too on where you go and what you do.. just as anyplace you or I visit..
Hear, hear!

While I only live in Florida part time, I do have friends in Law Enforcement. As with any proffession there are good police officers and bad. Don't let one or two out of THOUSANDS spoil what Florida has to offer.

@aussiesuide - Providing the statues is a very beneficial and will provide Tori's attorney with the ammunition to get the charges dropped.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply
Old 28-08-2011, 10:26   #112

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khagan1227 View Post

@aussiesuide - Providing the statues is a very beneficial and will provide Tori's attorney with the ammunition to get the charges dropped.
If their attorney does not already know those statutes by heart then it would behoove them to find one that does.
Old 28-08-2011, 10:32   #113

Boat: 48 Californian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tori View Post
We were not driving the vehicle it was parked and when we exited the bank the police cruiser was parked behind us. We never even re entered the vehicle.

How did he know it was your car?
Vyndance is offline   Reply
Old 28-08-2011, 10:38   #114

We came out of the bank and approached the car, saw him parked behind it and asked if we could help him. He asked if it was our car and we said yes, that was when he began accusing us of committing a felony. He never mentioned tag at all which was the only legal reason to be interacting with us.
Tori is offline   Reply
Old 28-08-2011, 10:43   #115

Boat: Pearson 323

I have spent the last few years cruising the east coast and now in Florida on a new sailboat which I have registered in the state. I still have a Connecticut driver's license because Florida will not accept my birth certificate from RI. According to authorities I am homeless because I live on my 32 foot Pearson.
I am also a disabled Veteran who does not fit in well within society and find it hard to stay put in one place. I enjoy cruising and when I go into port if I don't like the neighborhood I just untie and move.
All this crap on documentation being put on citizens is in my opinion against basic rights of U.S. citizens. We can keep harassing the people in the name of homeland security while illegal immigrants come here work without paying taxes, get hurt on the job or discovered and start collecting welfare.
Rayallyn is offline   Reply
Old 28-08-2011, 10:52   #116

Yes here you have to have the official birth certificate and two forms of address verification to establish an address and get a DL
Tori is offline   Reply
Old 28-08-2011, 10:58   #117

Quote:
Exactly--in the Third Reich the government went so far as create Gypsy camps (Zigeunerlager) for the nomadic Roma peoples living within Germany while trying to figure out how these people with no permanent residences fit into the scheme of things. Later they were simply sent to Sachsenhausen and similar concentration camps.
Gee, let's hope that's not a model for future treatment of cruisers. Crusierlager, anyone?

Let's also not forget that Rambo was originally harassed just for peacefully passing through town, for being a nomad. And look at the mayhem that caused –– not to mention two additional mediocre movies.

But it’s understandable, itinerants have always been perceived by most cultures as a threat to the established society. There is an instinctive need to subject the outsider to various forms of harassment. That pesky basic human nature is always there, just percolating beneath the thin veneer of civilization.
Adamante is offline   Reply
Old 28-08-2011, 11:06   #118

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:

It seems therefore that Florida laws are neither unique nor terribly draconian compared to those enacted in other countries.
In the Soviet Union, it was illegal to be homeless -- you were BOMZh -- bez opredelenogo mesta zhitel'stva -- without a definite place of residence. You were legally obligated to register a place of residence -- in fact, you had to have a residence permit (propiska). It sounds crazy to Americans, but not just the Soviet Union -- in Germany and some other continental countries, you still to this day have to register your residence with the police, and the penalties can be severe if you fail to do so. I don't know whether you are allowed to register "no permanent place of abode." All of this is typical of regimented, controlled, bureaucratic societies.

But the problem in Florida is not the law -- it's the enforcement. I agree with the various comments that the OP's case is outrageous.
Dockhead is offline   Reply
Old 28-08-2011, 11:08   #119

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

I got pulled over last month in WA state about one block from our marina and boat for having out of date licence plate tab's on my 2010 ford van. I was given a verbal warning on Sunday afternoon and went to get the tab at the licence place the next day, I found the address for mailing the renewal was wrong on there records and straightened it out with no problem. We own a small apt complex where I have lived for 17 years and because of my tenants abusing what they put in my mail box at the apt ( like cash for rent then said it got stolen ) so I got rid of the apt mail box and rented a mail PO Box where everything gets sent. Currently we are recorating on our boat lots sence liveaboards are not allowed. My Drivers licence has my apt address on it but the mail is sent to our PO Box , I guess I'll need to do some checking before we sub-lease our apt unit to go crusing.

I think most police dept's are looking for anything to say they are staying busy as not to have layoffs all over the country.
Old 28-08-2011, 11:11   #120

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Can't believe someone complains about getting a ticket for running a red light.. DUH

Tori
Don't know what BS charge they gave Joe that was criminal for a non-moving violation. but when it's over your attorney should get the arrest stricken from the books..

On other matters;
I quit driving after I got injured and my only ID I carry is my passport. Sure screws with a cop's brain when they ask for ID. Not my fault they can't figure it out, not that hard to do. When asked for an address, I gave one my Lat. and Lon. Had to go to court as a witness amd that's all the info I gavethem..
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply
Closed Thread