Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2011, 08:03   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: Joe Was Arrested

you are in FLA.! This type of thing surprises you? I think your problems are over ...I wouldnt spend any more money... just get everything stright on the licence and they will dismiss the charge...of course if you want your day in court..be careful what you ask for.. you just may get IT! my time is to valueable to spend fighting an over zealious cop and city hall.. I hope yours is too.
tropicalescape is offline   Reply
Old 27-08-2011, 08:12   #32

Boat: 1977 S2 8.0
Well right now Joe is out on bail and the total fines are $613 plus my $100 in bond money plus there could be up to thirty days in jail time and if he is found guilty he will lose his security licenses and therefore his livelihood. Unless his charges are dropped prior he has to appear in court for an arraignment on 9/21. We are not inclined to pay these fines nor see him go to jail so if they do not drop the charges we will be going to court.
Tori is offline   Reply
Old 27-08-2011, 08:13   #33
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

a rolling stone gathers no moss .. move on from your current location .. sounds like a bad place to be.
Old 27-08-2011, 08:16   #34

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

I guess you know what to do next time you see an officer giving your parked car a ticket. Keep walking, fight the ticket in court, not the street.

Not agreeing with anything the cops did but they are the executive branch, all they do is sight and enforce the law, they can arrest you for murder if they want. It's the courts that pass judgment. In this case going to court for the expired registration would have been less trouble than what happened. The cops in Fla are the caricature of the egotistical, macho, airhead of a cop. Every one of them appear to be compensating for some deficiency.
Old 27-08-2011, 08:18   #35

Boat: mt34dt

Tori, schedule a mtg with the prosecutor, tell him your story and see if he will drop or reduce charges where it will not affect live-hood.
zeta is offline   Reply
Old 27-08-2011, 08:23   #36
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tori View Post
Well right now Joe is out on bail and the total fines are $613 plus my $100 in bond money plus there could be up to thirty days in jail time and if he is found guilty he will lose his security licenses and therefore his livelihood. Unless his charges are dropped prior he has to appear in court for an arraignment on 9/21. We are not inclined to pay these fines nor see him go to jail so if they do not drop the charges we will be going to court.
Quite worrying..no DA in his right mind would take someones livelihood away..there are no tourist so they try to get money in other ways..they are thru with you guys... they got some money and will move on...relax,take a deep breath,let it go ...now dont you fill better..I hope so ..DVC
Old 27-08-2011, 09:34   #37

Boat: Currently boatless

I'm not a lawyer, but I think you're getting some really bad legal advice here, ranging from skipping bail to talking to the prosecutor without an attorney present. Unfortunately, I think at this point Joe's best option is to hire a good attorney and go to court. This is unfortunate, because the legal costs will likely be greater than the fine. However, pleading guilty or no contest might risk losing his license and source of livelihood.
Ziggy is offline   Reply
Old 27-08-2011, 09:36   #38

Boat: 1977 S2 8.0
Lol we are planning on hiring an attorney and going to court it is very sad that an officer of the law is able to abuse his powers like this to begin with
Tori is offline   Reply
Old 27-08-2011, 09:49   #39

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Lol we are planning on hiring an attorney and going to court it is very sad that an officer of the law is able to abuse his powers like this to begin with
I agree. From everything I hear Florida really does seem like a police state.
Old 27-08-2011, 09:59   #40

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
We were not driving the vehicle it was parked and when we exited the bank the police cruiser was parked behind us. We never even re entered the vehicle. His report states however that it was a traffic stop on a public street not in a parking lot and said we re entered and exited the vehicle none of which is true. We ate disappointed and have generally bad feeling about Seminole county law enforcement right now. The other amazing thing is that Joe assisted in two arrests last year with Seminole county and when stabbed in the line of duty in 2009 Seminole county swat evacuated him from his post.

Go back to the bank and any retailers within sight and see if any have surveillance cameras pointed anywhere near where you were. Get a subpoena on anything that shows the sidewalk, street and/or parking area. The sooner the better since a lot of the tapes used are recycled on a daily or weekly basis.
Adelie is offline   Reply
Old 27-08-2011, 10:01   #41
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
I agree. From everything I hear Florida really does seem like a police state.
Well if it is a police state do you think you can beat them at their own game? I think you are throwing good money after bad..if you just wait I think you will see its not that big a deal,Im sure they are not out to get you.the first day of court they will throw it out, if not, then spend your money. good luck DVC
Old 27-08-2011, 10:20   #42

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Can't see why he woulg lose jis Security license for a traffic ticket.
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply
Old 27-08-2011, 10:25   #43
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

I’ve not changed my address in years and it’s the wrong one now, I’ve been stopped a few times in the past years and what I found is attitude has a lot to do with the outcome-
it’s always Yes sir and no sir and I’m sorry sir- thanks for the ticket, sir-

As a young man I had my share of trouble with the law and this always works- I would go now and change your address right away and be done with it- if you fight it your going to likely lose and cost you more money and piss off the judge for wasting their time - it’s a lose lose all the way-you were in the wrong so how do you think you have a chance to win?
Ram is offline   Reply
Old 27-08-2011, 10:37   #44

Boat: FP Athena 38 - Breakaway

tori, for your sake, stop posting any details. IF the story is true how you have written it, an attroney is going to have a field day with the police dept. For your benefit, nothing sould be posted anymore, in fact i would have the moderators delete this thread till after you ahve your day in court. once you get an attroney he will recommend that same thing i do. good luck! And I would love to hear all the juicy details after your suit has been decided....I hate when this kind of **** happens...

Brian
mtnsapo is offline   Reply
Old 27-08-2011, 10:39   #45

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

That's a good point, never post information in the public domain that might be used against you in a court of law until after the case is settled.