Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2011, 01:25   #16

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27
Re: Joe Was Arrested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tori View Post
impersonating law enforcement officers
The way you describe everything it does sound like he was fishing for something.

Even with the car clearly marked, did he even ask to see credentials to back it up?

I sincerly hope your lawyer gets them good.

All the best!
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply
Old 27-08-2011, 04:05   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Guys.... just a reminder that politics is not allowed on CF.
Quote:
Discussions about politics, weaponry and religion are permitted only in association with the topic of this forum and will be closed or removed if they become disruptive.
I have removed the offending posts. Please refrain from further political comments.
Old 27-08-2011, 04:22   #18
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Joe was arrested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiesuede View Post
Ahem, am I to understand that there is some statute on the books in Florida that makes failure to register an address change an arrestable offense? What about folks who don't drive?

Here is the exact text of the 4th amendment.

What probable causes was used to affect an arrest? What was the arrestable offense listed in the order to appear in court?

I live in Florida and got pulled over a couple of years ago for rolling through a stop sign without a full stop. The first thing you have to do is turn over your license and registration. The addressses did not match as I had moved, and then needed new tags.

I got a ticket for not updating the address on my driver's license.

I think arresting over that is extreme but they have every right to ask to see those things.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply
Old 27-08-2011, 04:25   #19
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Unbelievable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
Have you considered getting some photos of your boat and a statement from the marina operator that it is your boat.

When the judge sees the size of your boat he/she may have a great deal of trouble believing that it is your primary residence.

I'm not a lawyer so better run this past your attorney first if you're thinking of using it.

Plenty of people live on 28' boats. Mine is 31'.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply
Old 27-08-2011, 04:58   #20

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

There are two sides to every story. Start with the expired tags. 14 days to my thinking is not "just expired".
Old 27-08-2011, 04:59   #21

Boat: 1977 S2 8.0
They doubted our story about living on a boat and called the marina to verify. The only reason the officer knew the addresses changed was that the addresses on joes security licenses did not match the DL. The security address has to be the county in which you are currently residing the dl your permanent address.
Tori is offline   Reply
Old 27-08-2011, 05:06   #22

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse

Tori and Joe are some of the nicest people I've met in a long time. It's a real shame that barney put them in his sights and came up with some obscure reason to hassle.

Tori, what county were you in when this happened? Was it Volusia by chance? Or Seminole?

Tom
amytom is offline   Reply
Old 27-08-2011, 05:09   #23

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
There are two sides to every story. Start with the expired tags. 14 days to my thinking is not "just expired".

A lot of people live on tight budgets. If your birthday is early in the month but so are the bigger bills then you wait until later in the month, maybe 14 days. Renewing registration in Florida is not cheap.
amytom is offline   Reply
Old 27-08-2011, 05:21   #24

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by amytom View Post
A lot of people live on tight budgets. If your birthday is early in the month but so are the bigger bills then you wait until later in the month, maybe 14 days. Renewing registration in Florida is not cheap.
Nor is raising bail money.
Old 27-08-2011, 05:26   #25

The tag expired august 8th they generally allow your birthday month to renew your tag most officers say little or will issue a warning during that period. We were in Seminole county and it was Seminole county sheriffs office that we interacted with. They did run me but apparently could find no reason to arrest me
When at the sheriffs office bailing Joe out several officers comments lead me to believe that this officer has been a problem in the past.
Tori is offline   Reply
Old 27-08-2011, 05:39   #26

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

Tori, I hope things work out for you guys in court. I have to say that the more I hear about Florida's attitude towards cruisers the more I am determined to spend as little time and as little money there as possible.
Mimsy is offline   Reply
Old 27-08-2011, 06:00   #27

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tori View Post
When at the sheriffs office bailing Joe out several officers comments lead me to believe that this officer has been a problem in the past.
A cheap digital voice recorder could come in use.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply
Old 27-08-2011, 07:22   #28

Boat: Gibson 50', Columbia 8.3, Harbor 20, Hunter 14, Trac 16, Several Lasers

I'm an ex-cop and it sounds like this arrest was made under a POPO statute.. (P-iss O-ffed a P-olice O-fficer)...

That said... I was a cop in Colorado and I think that the approach to Florida law enforcement is overbearing. I live here in Palm Beach and it can sometimes feel like a police state . I can't drive anywhere without seeing 5-6 police cars, School District Police, Deputies, FWC, ICE everywhere. The police were even hired by a mall once here to "inspect" people's bags as they were entering the mall.

In Florida expired registration isn't an arrestable or even a criminal offense until the six months after the registration expired.

If you were not in control of the vehicle when you were approached then I doubt that the officer had standing to demand the documents. No citizen is required to present identification cards if they are not in control of a vehicle.
offline is offline   Reply
Old 27-08-2011, 07:42   #29

Boat: mt34dt

Agree with Offline...cop was pissed and his ego was bruised. If you can afford it, retain council. I currently live in Colorado and the police here are some of the most professional and courteous I have ever had the displeasure of meeting Florida cops, especially in Volusia county are the most unprofessional and egotistical AH's in law enforcement I have ever encountered--IMHO!
zeta is offline   Reply
Old 27-08-2011, 07:50   #30

We were not driving the vehicle it was parked and when we exited the bank the police cruiser was parked behind us. We never even re entered the vehicle. His report states however that it was a traffic stop on a public street not in a parking lot and said we re entered and exited the vehicle none of which is true. We ate disappointed and have generally bad feeling about Seminole county law enforcement right now. The other amazing thing is that Joe assisted in two arrests last year with Seminole county and when stabbed in the line of duty in 2009 Seminole county swat evacuated him from his post.
Tori is offline   Reply
Closed Thread