Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2011, 12:28   #136
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Joe Was Arrested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
in our squat,we have eco toilet paper,it says"use both sides"..........
atoll is offline   Reply
Old 28-08-2011, 12:30   #137

Boat: 1977 S2 8.0
We have a meeting with the bank tomorrow to review security tapes, Fox 35 news and on Wednesday our attorney. We will see how things turn out. I am sure a judge would throw it out and drop charges but I am still angry about Joe going to jail and I intend to follow through. The charges are very serious and if the arrest isn't stricken from his record it will come up in every background check.
Tori is offline   Reply
Old 28-08-2011, 12:41   #138

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tori View Post
We have a meeting with the bank tomorrow to review security tapes, Fox 35 news and on Wednesday our attorney. We will see how things turn out. I am sure a judge would throw it out and drop charges but I am still angry about Joe going to jail and I intend to follow through. The charges are very serious and if the arrest isn't stricken from his record it will come up in every background check.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you.
Old 28-08-2011, 12:42   #139
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Tori... I know I’m not you, but besides getting the criminal aspect expunged, I’d file civil charges against the cop and his dept.
Old 28-08-2011, 12:47   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo
Tori... I know I’m not you, but besides getting the criminal aspect expunged, I’d file civil charges against the cop and his dept.
We plan on it
Tori is offline   Reply
Old 28-08-2011, 13:29   #141

Boat: Seafarer 26
Last I heard from law enforcement from a ride along. If they Don't speak English and there is no translator readily available they let them go. That was about 2003.
Dkdoyle is offline   Reply
Old 28-08-2011, 13:30   #142
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
If you get the tag updated and address fix on the license I think they will dismiss the whole thing..good luck
tropicalescape is offline   Reply
Old 28-08-2011, 13:37   #143
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Tori, since the Florida Statutes (state laws for Florida) say it is a $30 non-moving violation for failing to update your address within 10 days, and elsewhere state that you can have both a residence address and a mailing address for your license...

Just what was Joe charged with and arrested for? What specific statute?

From the bail level I'm guessing he was charged with resisting an officer or something similar, and not a failure to change an address.
hellosailor is offline   Reply
Old 28-08-2011, 13:42   #144

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
It seems that the Department of Homeland Security's position is that even a temporary change to a place of residence needs to be reported to the issuing authorities. The states may have some latitude in defining "principal residence".
Renew in a cruiser friendly place. The nice folks in the Marathon driver license office accepted my St. Brendan's address for my mailing address and boat documentation papers for my residence address. My new license has the Marathon driver license office address printed on it but a computer check of my license shows my boat name for my residence.
Old 28-08-2011, 13:47   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor
Tori, since the Florida Statutes (state laws for Florida) say it is a $30 non-moving violation for failing to update your address within 10 days, and elsewhere state that you can have both a residence address and a mailing address for your license...

Just what was Joe charged with and arrested for? What specific statute?

From the bail level I'm guessing he was charged with resisting an officer or something similar, and not a failure to change an address.
Nope the charge was failure to change his address on vehicle registration that is what is listed on his arrest report. The statute is 320 something it is correctly previously listed in the thread.
Tori is offline   Reply
Old 28-08-2011, 14:06   #146

Quote:
Nope the charge was failure to change his address on vehicle registration that is what is listed on his arrest report. The statute is 320 something it is correctly previously listed in the thread.
I'm predicting you'll have a very pleasant meeting with the attorney on wednesday. The arrestable offense would have been the filling out a change of address with technically false information. But that is not what happened here. That's why I said that the expired tags will likely prove helpful since it means you had yet to make any application for registration. I'm looking forward to hearing the outcome. I'm predicting a $30 fine and the district attorney will refuse to pursue any other charges.

Keep checking those two court clerk links I provided daily. Good chance that the big charge disappears well before you make it to court.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply
Old 28-08-2011, 14:38   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobleshift View Post
I grew up in Fla.. I find the OP's story to be the norm, not the exception. Florida is very much a police state. I once got a ticket for running a red light, at 4am, on a ten speed bike. I couldn't trip the light, and the road was deserted. Still $54 & three points against my driver's license. I miss the sun & beach, but not the narrow minded intolerance of the Stasi.
So did I.. and I have to disagree. In most states a bicycle is considered the same as any other wheeled vehicle for tickets and the like. Cop giving a ticket at 4am had to have been bored beyond reason....or you pissed him off.. again more to this story. I find the people who claim police state in whatever state/town/city burg are the ones who get tickets and so on.. although a ticket at 4am is just a bit over the top on a deserted road for a bike..
bella is offline   Reply
Old 28-08-2011, 21:14   #148

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Must not have been to deserted, he was seen doing it. Like most bike riders know, walk it across and you are good to go...
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply
Old 28-08-2011, 22:11   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella

So did I.. and I have to disagree. In most states a bicycle is considered the same as any other wheeled vehicle for tickets and the like. Cop giving a ticket at 4am had to have been bored beyond reason....or you pissed him off.. again more to this story. I find the people who claim police state in whatever state/town/city burg are the ones who get tickets and so on.. although a ticket at 4am is just a bit over the top on a deserted road for a bike..
No nothing more to that story. I have dozens of totally F-ed up cop stories from Florida.
I've lived in DC, Baltimore, Miami, Seattle, Portland, Tampa, St. Pete, and a few other places. The ONLY place I've ever been scared to walk down the street at night is in Florida. And ONLY because of the constant & consistent police harassment. Marathon not included.
spostamento nobile is offline   Reply
Old 28-08-2011, 23:04   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobleshift View Post
I grew up in Fla.. I find the OP's story to be the norm, not the exception. Florida is very much a police state. I once got a ticket for running a red light, at 4am, on a ten speed bike. I couldn't trip the light, and the road was deserted. Still $54 & three points against my driver's license. I miss the sun & beach, but not the narrow minded intolerance of the Stasi.
Stasi? Police State?

Just out of curiosity, have you ever experienced the true STASI or East German Police State?

Methinks they do not really compare.

The US is a not a perfect country....

but as I have traveled, I appreciate the US even more....

and while, imperfect, it certainly does not come close to a Police State.

Let us be fair about the words one chooses...
h20man is offline   Reply
Closed Thread