Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2012, 18:44   #256
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: I've Had Enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkdig View Post
Sometimes i think the smart ones in Australia are the ones on benifits.

You can get

A million dollar apartment with water and city views on a restaurant strip for about $60 a week in rent ( Nelson place Williamstown before i am asked to prove it)
Full medical benifits.
Cheap public transport
If i have a car discounted registration.
Income up to $500 per week depends if i claim to be single and how many kids i claim live with me
Rent subsidised if i choose to live in a private rental
Free legal aid when i get in trouble because i have nothing to do.
Food vouchers and free food when i spend my free money on beer,smokes and the pokies
Actually i think i am an idiot for working!
i will let kevin comment on that one

Old 13-11-2012, 18:53   #257

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
In the UK it doesn't work quite like that (despite what some of the newspapers say )........but nonetheless the Govt does not cut folks off from benefits (including healthcare) for simple political reasons and leave them to starve.
It only works that way in Australia in the words of the media trying to sell their products and in the mouths of polies trying to buy votes. All saftey net benefits are income, asset and activity tested (prehaps with the execption of the carers suplement mentioned in the OP).

Some of those saying that they have paid taxes and got nothing back forget that when they had kids family allowance was not income tested, HECS for University education did not exist ....... and other advantages that the younger generation do not enjoy.
Old 13-11-2012, 19:23   #258

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillAU View Post

You obviously don't know our outback mate, you won't find much game to eat, and you'll have a problem growing veggies, or anything else to eat in the outback, and you won't find any fish or yabbies to eat and...Where the hell do we sail/cruse our boat...Perhaps a live aboard SAND yacht would be the answer but then...What do we eat
Aggh ... I thought the Outback was where all the REAL men lived!

I know about the Outback, I saw Crocodile Dundie!
Old 13-11-2012, 19:40   #259

Boat: Franz Maas 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwaiting View Post
Some of those saying that they have paid taxes and got nothing back forget that when they had kids family allowance was not income tested, HECS for University education did not exist ....... and other advantages that the younger generation do not enjoy.
They also got good roads, footpaths, a great drainage and sewer system, abundant parks, gardens and car parking, free health care, free education, money whenever you lose a job, or get hurt at work, a great industrial system with appropriate social safety nets, good policing, effective bureaucracies, a world beating military system, a country dripping in sporting facilities, reliable communications systems, free press, the world's least corrupt state etc etc etc.

Australia returns your tax dollars in bucketloads.
Old 13-11-2012, 20:26   #260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
They also got good roads, footpaths, a great drainage and sewer system, abundant parks, gardens and car parking, free health care, free education, money whenever you lose a job, or get hurt at work, a great industrial system with appropriate social safety nets, good policing, effective bureaucracies, a world beating military system, a country dripping in sporting facilities, reliable communications systems, free press, the world's least corrupt state etc etc etc.

Some good points.

For some the glass is always half empty ... they only see the waste. Same case in the US. I too use to think there was a lot of waste in my government until I came to live in Thailand ... what an eye-opener with regard to waste in government! Nothing like living in a developing country to get a true perspective on things.
Old 14-11-2012, 00:48   #261

Boat: Careel 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post

Money whenever you lose a job...That depends if the baskets you're working for are honest. I was screwed by a crooked company, six months pay for working overseas, so I took them to the Industrial Court. I was awarder $36,000 by the Industrial Tribunal in Melbourne, on leaving the court after me winning the case, my lawyer said to me, now that's justice, we soon sorted-out those crooks and you'll get your money Bill. I looked at her and said, you don't know much about crooks who know the system, do you love, those bastards will go belly-up today and they'll open for business again, tomorrow morning under a new name and $1 company! They won't pay me, those bastards would not even pay their own mothers! And that's what the bastards did! They paid no-one and I, nor anyone else could do a thing about it.
I still have the paperwork to prove what I say above.

As to the rest of your post, I would agree to most of it apart for...the world's least corrupt state etc etc etc. That has not been my findings in dealing with some local goverment departments.
Old 14-11-2012, 01:29   #262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
The Kimberlys sounds even better, 2000 coastal miles of no one,
Sorry but you will have to find somewhere else, the Kimberleys are mine.....

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
Old 14-11-2012, 01:29   #263

Quote:
Money whenever you lose a job...That depends if the baskets you're working for are honest. I was screwed by a crooked company, six months pay for working overseas, so I took them to the Industrial Court. I was awarder $36,000 by the Industrial Tribunal in Melbourne, on leaving the court after me winning the case, my lawyer said to me, now that's justice, we soon sorted-out those crooks and you'll get your money Bill. I looked at her and said, you don't know much about crooks who know the system, do you love, those bastards will go belly-up today and they'll open for business again, tomorrow morning under a new name and $1 company! They won't pay me, those bastards would not even pay their own mothers! And that's what the bastards did! They paid no-one and I, nor anyone else could do a thing about it.
I still have the paperwork to prove what I say above.

As to the rest of your post, I would agree to most of it apart for...the world's least corrupt state etc etc etc. That has not been my findings in dealing with some local goverment departments.
I'm sorry about your experience Bill, I really am, and I hate to keep harping on this but it really is a lot worse in places like Thailand when it comes to local corruption and the like. This is an example recently and right up the road from Krabi (Phang Nga Bay/Phuket area, one of the best cruising grounds in SEA):

Phuket Business: Phang Nga politician gunned down in broad dayligh
Old 14-11-2012, 02:47   #264

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
Sorry but you will have to find somewhere else, the Kimberleys are mine.....

Your not there yet, Hahahaha, But even if you were,

The chances of being in the same pardisial splendorous magnificent parking spots
at the same time would be very very slim.

But choofing past and dropping in to say Gday and having a beer or two, well thats different.
Old 14-11-2012, 02:54   #265

Our Pollies are crap, just like every where, They are in it to line their own pockets, and they do very well at it, Thank you,

But it is still the best place in the world to live, Bar none, Tho Canada, would probably be nice if it wasnt so bloody cold,

Yes, you can go to other places and live like kings on the smell of an oily rag, or a few centavo's,

But you can do that in Australia too, if you use your noodle, But you need to be far away from the citys, On land or sea, its there for the taking, Just do it,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kimberlys.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	49687  
Attached Images

Old 14-11-2012, 03:22   #266

Re: I've had enough!

Quote:
?..I worked too hard, gained too many assets, so the pension is not available for me,
Pisses me off that I worked all my life and cant get the pension which I have paid taxes for, all my life...
More complete nonsense. Paying taxes "all (your) life" does not entitle you to an aged pension - and it never has. That pension was introduced in about 1908 specifically to provide for the basic living expenses for those who did not have the means to support themselves in retirement - which back then was virtually all working people. It has never (in Oz) been a handout to everybody of retirement age, and hopefully never will be. Unless, that is, you want to pay more tax to fund it.

You and your ilk always conveniently forget that the national infrastructure, physical and otherwise, that assisted your wealth generation were paid for by everyone's taxes. You didn't operate in a vacuum.

And you also conveniently forget the generous tax treatment the federal government provided to you throughout your working years to encourage the accumulation of your superannuation. And also that it now allows you to access your super tax-free after the age of sixty.

As far as whinging about the "bludgers", have you no comprension at all that everyone is, throughout their life, just an accident or illness away from relative poverty. You were too, of course, but it seems you were lucky.

This thread is so depressing: grasping, greedy, whinging folk are everywhere, and evidently not least in the cruising community. Sheesh!
Old 14-11-2012, 03:40   #267

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wand View Post
More complete nonsense. Paying taxes "all (your) life" does not entitle you to an aged pension - and it never has. That pension was introduced in about 1908 specifically to provide for the basic living expenses for those who did not have the means to support themselves in retirement - which back then was virtually all working people. It has never (in Oz) been a handout to everybody of retirement age, and hopefully never will be. Unless, that is, you want to pay more tax to fund it.

You and your ilk always conveniently forget that the national infrastructure, physical and otherwise, that assisted your wealth generation were paid for by everyone's taxes. You didn't operate in a vacuum.

And you also conveniently forget the generous tax treatment the federal government provided to you throughout your working years to encourage the accumulation of your superannuation. And also that it now allows you to access your super tax-free after the age of sixty.

As far as whinging about the "bludgers", have you no comprension at all that everyone is, throughout their life, just an accident or illness away from relative poverty. You were too, of course, but it seems you were lucky.

This thread is so depressing: grasping, greedy, whinging folk are everywhere, and evidently not least in the cruising community. Sheesh!
You sound like a normal dole bludger,
The pension was brought in erly this last century. so that people paying their taxes were looked after when they retired.
It has been replaced about 20 years ago with the super scheme when the govt realised the aging population was exceeding the taxpayers ability to keep paying the pension,

When you have three generations of perfectly healthy people who refused to ever work in their miserable lives and get every thing laid on,

No I have no sympathy for them whatsoever, they are roughting the system for all its worth,

People who are sick or injured and cant work, I fully support them being on sickness benefits,

As for generous govt tax system, what a crock of ****, I paid 49 cents in the dollar and worked my ring out for it,

My Super was a second house I scrimped the money to buy, I went with out for years, no booze no entertainment, Yes I lived like a hermit.

So crawl back under your rock, The govt gave me nothing, and still does not give me any thing now I have retired,
I am entitled to the pension just like every other Australian should be,

The Pollies get theirs by the bucket load, do you think thats fair too, I would like a quarter of what those parasites get,
And its my and your taxes paying for it,

Further, any Super I got, was paid in by me, I am entitled to it, I paid taxes on that when it went in, so it shouldnt be taxed when I drew it out,

Get your facts straight sonny before you start carrying on about whingers,
Old 14-11-2012, 03:46   #268

Quote:
You sound like a normal dole bludger,
The pension was brought in erly this last century. so that people paying their taxes were looked after when they retired.
It has been replaced about 20 years ago with the super scheme when the govt realised the aging population was exceeding the taxpayers ability to keep paying the pension,

When you have three generations of perfectly healthy people who refused to ever work in their miserable lives and get every thing laid on,

No I have no sympathy for them whatsoever, they are roughting the system for all its worth,

People who are sick or injured and cant work, I fully support them being on sickness benefits,

As for generous govt tax system, what a crock of ****, I paid 49 cents in the dollar and worked my ring out for it,

My Super was a second house I scrimped the money to buy, I went with out for years, no booze no entertainment, Yes I lived like a hermit.

So crawl back under your rock, The govt gave me nothing, and still does not give me any thing now I have retired,
I am entitled to the pension just like every other Australian should be,

The Pollies get theirs by the bucket load, do you think thats fair too, I would like a quarter of what those parasites get,
And its my and your taxes paying for it,

Further, any Super I got, was paid in by me, I am entitled to it, I paid taxes on that when it went in, so it shouldnt be taxed when I drew it out,

Get your facts straight sonny before you start carrying on about whingers,
Thank you, your ignorance and personal ugliness has just proved my point.

And by the way, I am also a self-funded retiree, and have been since the age of 58. But then, I acknowledge the fortune of my circumstance.
Old 14-11-2012, 04:07   #269

Boat: Careel 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Some good points.

For some the glass is always half empty ... they only see the waste. Same case in the US. I too use to think there was a lot of waste in my government until I came to live in Thailand ... what an eye-opener with regard to waste in government! Nothing like living in a developing country to get a true perspective on things.
Me thinks Thailand can't be all that bad if you're still there, me thinks you're trying to keep that little jem all to yerself
Old 14-11-2012, 04:28   #270

Quote:
Me thinks Thailand can't be all that bad if you're still there, me thinks you're trying to keep that little jem all to yerself
No, no, really its awful! There's poisonous snakes, giant centipedes, Dengue fever, AIDS, the language is impossible, the food is bland, the list goes on ...

I love it and I hate it (sometimes) but I also go back to the USA every six months so by the time I get back I've forgotten what I hated.

But truthfully, it does have a long history of corruption especially at the local level. So, all I'm saying is don't come here if you are looking for less waste and corruption in your government. Otherwise, it's not bad, just hot and sticky all the time.