Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 15:30   #181

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Re: I've Had Enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
I should also point out that as a "middle income earner" (more than $50,000 p.a. but less than $100,000 p.a.)
Quote:
Do I think that the whole system is so corrupt and broken and unfair that I want to run away and not play any more? No.
Now imagine that you are no longer on $1000/week plus and now have to survive on a pension (less than half) as I assume the OP does.

Do you think Australia affords the best bang for buck or would you look to a land where you can get 4x more (or more) for your dollar?

Like I have said before. Australia is without a doubt one of the best places on the planet as long as you are cashed up.
For many, that see their reserves eroded daily by increasing prices (higher than pension increases) and lower interest rates on deposits (after tax lower than inflation) Australia is rapidly losing its appeal.
Old 12-11-2012, 15:40   #182

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

[QUOTE=rognvald;1082763]... Our recent election has sadly shown that the overwhelming number of citizens in our country have chosen the road to dependancy and big government rather than embracing our core principles and values..../QUOTE]

BS! ....

Sorry but that's too political to let pass unchallenged.
Old 12-11-2012, 15:44   #183

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
That was probably a better response than using facts.
Old 12-11-2012, 15:51   #184

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwaiting View Post
For some one who does not know that Tasmania is in Australia you sure think that you know a lot about the world. I suspect that your knowledge of geography exceeds your knowledge of economic give your posts, just saying
I know where Tasmania is, I just keyed off the GST phrase and some other numbers in his post which, as it happens, are identical to those in Canada and didn't look at his location. Even so, location means little - especially in those countries which now tax "world-wide income". Merely being a citizen of the United States, for example, is a good enough reason to pay US income tax on any income you earn anywhere in the world. Further, merely renouncing your citizenship and accepting citizenship elsewhere is NOT a good enough reason to stop paying your taxes in the U.S!

It certainly is worse elsewhere, the U.S. is now known as a "tax haven" for citizens of Canada and similarly taxed countries. It seems that 50% taxation on income is "low" compared to the 60% taxation that is now occurring elsewhere.

Geography and economics - two great tastes that go great together! (but leaves a bad aftertaste)

Disclaimer:
If you're a go-to-work Joe with a small home, modest car, simple lifestyle, and you manage to stay out of debt, and if you plan to remain on that life plan until your retirement days, then none of this means anything to you. This conversation is about the other 5% of the population, and those who aspire to be in that 5%, and about their ability and interest to continue working to make sure that go-to-work Joe has work to go to (among other things).
Old 12-11-2012, 15:58   #185

Boat: Pearson 34-II

[QUOTE=Doodles;1083152]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
... Our recent election has sadly shown that the overwhelming number of citizens in our country have chosen the road to dependancy and big government rather than embracing our core principles and values..../QUOTE]

BS! ....

Sorry but that's too political to let pass unchallenged.

And how, my dear Sir, would you describe this discussion if not political? Thus spake Zaruthustra!
Old 12-11-2012, 16:15   #186

Boat: Traditional 30
Re: I've had enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Just because you don't know anyone doesn't mean it doesn't or hasn't happened.

Finally
So in other words you made the dog food comment up. Either that or you are refering to a made up story on A Current Affair from the 90s. The chief executive of National Seniors, Michael O'Neill, said he had never heard of a pensioner eating dog food and said the claims were overblown.

Jana Wendt when nuts and protested to higher management over that story. As too many naive people actually believed it was real. The old guy in the story was paid to put some Chum on toast and invite the PM to join him. Woof!
Old 12-11-2012, 16:31   #187

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

Quote:
Now imagine that you are no longer on $1000/week plus and now have to survive on a pension (less than half) as I assume the OP does.

Do you think Australia affords the best bang for buck or would you look to a land where you can get 4x more (or more) for your dollar?

Like I have said before. Australia is without a doubt one of the best places on the planet as long as you are cashed up.
For many, that see their reserves eroded daily by increasing prices (higher than pension increases) and lower interest rates on deposits (after tax lower than inflation) Australia is rapidly losing its appeal.

I think we have 2 different arguments going on here.

The original poster stated at the start of his original post that
Quote:
Australia IS the highest taxed country on earth
This is demonstrably and inequivocally not true. My post about the tax that I pay was intended merely to point out what sort of percentage of income is paid as tax. Nothing more, nothing less. I agree (and stated) that tax is quite high in Australia, but is certainly significantly less than numerous other countries.

Surviving on the pension is a different matter. Believe it or not, I am not so callous, ignorant, nor self-absorbed so as to be unaware of the difficulties of living on a pension. My wife's parent do (as live-aboard cruisers for what it is worth) as do some of my closest friends. Of course it looks attractive to head off to a country where taxes are lower and your (strong) Aussie dollar goes a lot further.

But isn't it a fact that "the pension" is a direct result of that horrible taxation regimen that our communist "big-brother" government foists upon us? The average person in many of the "2nd world" countries that, apparently, look so attractive (in SE Asia, for example), probably doesn't have the safety-net of a pension at all.

In fact, I am not suggesting that people shouldn't "vote with their feet" and move to whatever corner of the globe takes their fancy: It seems to work pretty well for many UK pensioners who relocate for the relatively cheap lifestyle of southern Portugal, for example. I was merely pointing out that as someone who has travelled fairly extensively (and at various stages on a budget of less than $10 per day, for months at a time, or even on a budget of $5 per day at some times), Australia is still a pretty lucky country and a good place to live. I can, pretty much, live wherever I choose in the world and yet I choose to live in Australia. If an ex-pat life in the Phillipines or Vietnam or Thailand (or wherever else) works for you and makes your resources stretch further, good on ya. Just be aware that there may be downsides to those places too (ask Joe Adams).
Old 12-11-2012, 16:31   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
So in other words you made the dog food comment up.
No, there are numerous stories about it on the interwebs if you care to look.
https://www.google.com.au/search?sou....1.k6fFbfZYCbI
Quote:
Either that or you are refering to a made up story on A Current Affair from the 90s. The chief executive of National Seniors, Michael O'Neill, said he had never heard of a pensioner eating dog food and said the claims were overblown.
So one person claims he never heard of it (you make two)
must never have happened then eh?

The "actual story" is here.
Pet food diet a shaggy dog story - National - smh.com.au

Note that the chief executive of National Seniors, Michael O'Neill admitted that
Quote:
people are doing it tough and buying second and third cuts of meat and going without some things, but I would never expect people would go to that level," he said
Third cuts of meat would be considered by many to be the equivelant dog food.

He also said
Quote:
a Senate inquiry had heard plenty of evidence that people from Tasmania and Victoria turned heaters off and stayed in bed to save money during winter, while in a heat wave in South Australia this year some had used a wet towel on the face to beat cooling costs.
But you continue your delusion that Australian pensioners are doing it easy.
Nothing to see here move along.
Old 12-11-2012, 16:40   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
I think we have 2 different arguments going on here.
The original poster stated at the start of his original post that
Quote:
Australia IS the highest taxed country on earth
Yes I agree
That comment was false.
Quote:
Just be aware that there may be downsides to those places too (ask Joe Adams).
There are downsides to living everywhere.
Murders , robberies and bashings happen in Australia as well.
Old 12-11-2012, 16:42   #190

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

I don't think dog food is that cheap. Compare the cost of a can of dog food to a can of, say, canned stew, raviolios, canned vegetables, or other cheap canned foods. I'm not in a grocery store at this moment, and haven't shopped for canned dog food in many years, but I really don't think it's cheap compared to other foods designed for humans.

It might, however, be healthier, perhaps less laden with salt, sugars, and artificial preservatives and colors!
Old 12-11-2012, 16:43   #191

[QUOTE=cat man do;1083201]
Quote:
So in other words you made the dog food comment up.

No, there are numerous stories about it on the interwebs if you care to look.
https://www.google.com.au/search?sou....1.k6fFbfZYCbI

So one person claims he never heard of it (you make two)
must never have happened then eh?

The "actual story" is here.
Pet food diet a shaggy dog story - National - smh.com.au

Half the country has heard of it. But its nothing more than urban ledgend, Based on the trumped up A Current Affair story. Remember, even Jana got the s**Ts about it.

Note that the chief executive of National Seniors, Michael O'Neill admitted that
Third cuts of meat would be considered by many to be the equivelant dog food.

He also said

But you continue your delusion that Australian pensioners are doing it easy.
Nothing to see here move along.
Hell I turn my heater off in winter too. And I eat Blade steak and rarely if ever buy a scotch filet. Perhaps twice a year. I certainly dont buy lamb cutlets at $30 a kilo.

Btw, since when is the pension supposed to provide a high class of living? Its a safety net. That is all. And when did I say they were doing it easy? (please quote the post number and page)
Old 12-11-2012, 17:47   #192

Quote:

Hell I turn my heater off in winter too. And I eat Blade steak and rarely if ever buy a scotch filet. Perhaps twice a year. I certainly dont buy lamb cutlets at $30 a kilo.
THIRD grade cuts was mentioned if you care to read.
Have a look, do you eat them?
third class beef meat cuts

Quote:
Btw, since when is the pension supposed to provide a high class of living?
I dont consider eating mince (better than 3rd grade cuts) a high class of living
Quote:
Its a safety net. That is all.
And that safety net /quality of living has been declining for our pensioners for a while now.
Hell, we are even closing down our aged care facilities so I expect things will be getting even worse.

https://www.google.com.au/search?sou....1.8yyQ395DyJk
Old 12-11-2012, 17:49   #193

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
So, you found a story that said there is no proof of it actually happening to prove your point that it actually happens?

And here I thought we were attempting to exchange ideas and you just wanted to run around in circles. Most be too much dog food in your diet.
Old 12-11-2012, 17:50   #194

Quote:
THIRD grade cuts was mentioned if you care to read.
Have a look, do you eat them?
third class beef meat cuts

I dont consider eating mince (better than 3rd grade cuts) a high class of living

And that safety net /quality of living has been declining for our pensioners for a while now.
Hell, we are even closing down our aged care facilities so I expect things will be getting even worse.

https://www.google.com.au/search?sou....1.8yyQ395DyJk
Aged care.. there aint no aged care in SEA. So back to my initial point. This is a wonderful country.

Perhaps you would like to be taxed more, so they can build a few new ones
Old 12-11-2012, 17:52   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhand View Post
So, you found a story that said there is no proof of it actually happening to prove your point that it actually happens?

And here I thought we were attempting to exchange ideas and you just wanted to run around in circles. Most be too much dog food in your diet.
Funniest post in the last 13 pages. PMSL
Closed Thread