Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 22:23   #91

Boat: Traditional 30
Re: I've had enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhand View Post
Especially since the OP started off by making stuff up.
Thankyou
Old 10-11-2012, 22:27   #92

Oh in the Philippines, that 42 inch tv is gonna cost you ALOT more than at your home.
Electronic goods are not cheap.

Another money saving tip for SE Asia.......NEVER NEVER NEVER use a credit card. You can always get a better deal by paying cash! I typically save between 10-20 percent.
Old 10-11-2012, 22:30   #93

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
For one weeks average wage in aus, anyone can tot off to harvey norman and buy a 42 inch plasma. What size tv will the average wage buy in SEA? So the comparisons arent fair to the discussion.
Of course its fair.
Can you point to anywhere where the OP or I were comparing Australian wages to Asian wages?

Or are you saying that a TV will cost 1 week ozy wage, but cost more than one week ozy wage in SEA?
If thats the case look at other things.
Accommodation at 1/4 ozy price, Beer at 1/4 ozy price, Meals at even less, Scooters at 1/4 ozy price and the list goes on.

The daily cost of living more than offsets the occasionally purchased luxury item.
Old 10-11-2012, 22:41   #94
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

C'mon guys, all this "you insulted my country" stuff sounds like the politicians starting a war. You cannot insult a country, it does not care. Personally, i think it is ok to see the negatives in a place as well as the positives. I originally came from the UK, and am never concerned if someone does not like the place, or Australia, where i have lived for 38 years. National pride is good, but it soon turns into xenophobia if not careful. This is supposed to be a bunch of cruisers who enjoy going to places, sometimes new, and being interested in them and learning from them, otherwise, why go?

Hopefully, the correct reason to go somewhere should be because you would like to go there, not to get away from a place that just does not agree with you anymore. That's my addition to the the rants anyway.

Coops.
Old 10-11-2012, 22:42   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Of course its fair.
Can you point to anywhere where the OP or I were comparing Australian wages to Asian wages?
You and I were discussing lifestyles and conditions based on Aus vs SEA. Its easy to say "this places is bad" as the OP did and make comparisions to other countries. But unless its a wholistic view, any point is moot. Dont get me wrong. I love SEA. Two trips there this year and it was cheaper to stay there-aside from thailand. But there is not one country i would swap for ours.

I used the Wages example to compare apples with apples.
Old 10-11-2012, 22:45   #96

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhand View Post
Especially since the OP started off by making stuff up.
True. I still say the o.p. is just whining and not about to up and leave because of some online tax "rumors" and the fact that he can't bring as much booze and cigarettes into the country tax-free. I mean really, how often does one leave the country to buy this stuff? Don't most people buy it in country?

I won't blame someone for leaving their country, but really find a better reason.
Old 10-11-2012, 22:47   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Of course its fair.

Or are you saying that a TV will cost 1 week ozy wage, but cost more than one week ozy wage in SEA?
If thats the case look at other things.
Accommodation at 1/4 ozy price, Beer at 1/4 ozy price, Meals at even less, Scooters at 1/4 ozy price and the list goes on.

The daily cost of living more than offsets the occasionally purchased luxury item.
No thats not what I meant.

One Aussie average wage will buy a plasma.
The average SEA wage wont even go close.
Old 10-11-2012, 22:51   #98

Boat: wharram tiki 26

I remember a long time ago, in some shitty African war, No one cried for their country,It was always for their mammas.
Old 10-11-2012, 23:21   #99

Boat: Farrier, F-44SC, performance cruising cat

Bill,

You get the prize for sparking a very lively thread. I've enjoyed the opinions of all. Bill; you remind me of this guy: "the most interesting man in the world"......
Old 10-11-2012, 23:22   #100

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Wow! All this over some taxes on cig's and booze and online purchases? Aren't you over reacting a bit? Don't come to Thailand. The only one of those that may be cheaper is local beer. As for local online purchasing, it basically doesn't exist, and if you order anything from overseas be prepared to pay the customs duty based on whatever the custom's guy decides the item is worth that day!

I think you should reconsider or at least do a trial run before you leap. Or of course, you could be like all those people in the US that swear they are leaving the country if that other guy (Obama/Romney, you fill in the blank) wins ... they never do.
Yes...Thailand is a bad choice these days...Just came back in March. Higher prices getting higher. Stricter immigration laws and getting tighter. I hear the Philippines is the place to go. More anchorages too. And lots of ciggies and booze.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 10-11-2012, 23:34   #101

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
You and I were discussing lifestyles and conditions based on Aus vs SEA.
Yes, and I have a far better lifestyle whenever I am in SEA
I could not justify the cost of a similar lifestyle in Australia.

or I live the same lifestyle as here in SEA for 1/4 to a 3rd of the cost.
Quote:
But there is not one country i would swap for ours.
Gee I would if it meant I could live the same or similar lifestyle for the rest of my days starting now vs staying in Australia working my ring out until I am 65.
An extra 20 years added on to my life I say.

Australia's good, but that good? 20 years of my life good?
Quote:
I used the Wages example to compare apples with apples.
Not sure of that.
Apples with apples is what I have done.
In my pocket in Australia I have $1000 Vs the $1000 I have in my pocket in Asia.
In Australia it lasts 7 days (house food fuel etc) vs Asia where it lasts 21 days living a similar lifestyle.

Comparing average Asian guys wage to mine is an apples to watermelon comparison in my opinion.
Old 11-11-2012, 00:37   #102

Joe Adams didn't do too well in the Phillipines.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:17   #103

Boat: Careel 22

As a retired, tax paying, voting Australian, just like any other Australians who votes and pay taxes, I do have the right to praise or hammer our politicians, who have squander so much of our money.
I would never post anything on another nations politicians...I am not of that nationality, I do not vote for those politicians and I do not pay tax to that nations tax collectors, therefore, I have no right to criticise or praise politicians from other countries but, I do have the right to voice my opinion on public money wasted and squandered by politicians of Australia...Some of whom I voted for. So no jumped-up young bloke who has taken a few trips to S.E. Asia and now thinks he knows it all is going to shut me up...I had enough of union bully boys like that while running my Interstate transport business. Those union bully boys also wanted to dictate to me on just what I or my drivers could do and not do when picking up loads from companies that those bully boys dictated to!
Scratch those companies from my client list...No more union bully boy tactics.

I have never said I hate or even dislike Australia, on the contrary, I love Australia but I'm not blind to those B.S'ers in government! And that's what I said!
I plan on leaving Australia, when I decide to do so, returning only when I needed to, and, as I've never spent any time in New Zealand, the Islands of the South/North Pacific, and S.E. Asia, I thought that would be the area for me to live-out my days exploring, fishing and hunting.

Open the links below and read the articles, then tell me I'm exaggerating or lying about our politicians! I'm not happy with our great Australian politicians squandering OUR money. If some of you are happy with what they have been spending those BILLIONS of dollars on, then good for you but don't expect me to join you in your praise of those B.S artists!

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

As for the referance to Joe Adams from olaf hart, that could happen anywhere...Even in Oz.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:40   #104

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
In Aus the government collects 47% of its tax from the employed through income tax.

The welfare spend to unemployed,boat people,pensions etc is 47% of all expenditure.

No bludgers = no need to collect income tax.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:48   #105

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkdig
In Aus the government collects 47% of its tax from the employed through income tax.

The welfare spend to unemployed,boat people,pensions etc is 47% of all expenditure.

No bludgers = no need to collect income tax.
Pension = bludger?