Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 22:30   #76
Registered User
 
ozskipper's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NSW Australia
Boat: Traditional 30
Posts: 1,981
Re: I've had enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twotimer View Post
Sometimes I think people put the blinkers on and forget the positive things we have.

Ican drink to that for at least a week!
My shout
__________________

__________________
Cheers
Oz
...............
ozskipper is offline  
Old 10-11-2012, 22:34   #77
Registered User
 
cat man do's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brisbane Australia [until the boats launched]
Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Posts: 4,409
Images: 36
Re: I've had enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
But it was interesting that in cambodia recently, I was paying $1.20 a litre- a very small saving.
But most people ride scooters that cost $500 ($3000 here) and hold 5 litres of fuel
Quote:
So in their case, it is VERY expensive.
the OP isn't on Cambodian wages.
Plus the rest of their cost of living does not have the high cost associated with it like here.
They can get a meal at a restaurant and a beer for less than $1.00
Here Im flat out getting that under about $15



Quote:
Swings/roundabouts. Try buying steak in Japan? Not cheap. But comparitively cheap here.
So dont choose Japan.

The point is that in most areas of Asia there are cheaper alternatives.
In Australia, there isn't really.
Basic accommodation (unless you own),rates,electricity, food and transport on the pension would be pretty difficult to live on.

Take that same amount to almost anywhere in Asia and you will be living the high life, probably eat out every-night, have a maid etc.
__________________

__________________
"Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you a yacht large enough to pull up right alongside it"...............David Lee Roth
Long Distance Motorboat Cruising It Is Possible on a Small Budget
cat man do is offline  
Old 10-11-2012, 22:46   #78
Registered User
 
cat man do's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brisbane Australia [until the boats launched]
Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Posts: 4,409
Images: 36
Re: I've had enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
Prices in Langkawi and Thailand were not much cheaper than here. Perhaps 20%.
The sellers are delusional.
Do they think the locals have that sort of money?
They are praying for a greater fool from Australia, one who hasn't done his research on world prices, to come along and bail them out.
__________________
"Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you a yacht large enough to pull up right alongside it"...............David Lee Roth
Long Distance Motorboat Cruising It Is Possible on a Small Budget
cat man do is offline  
Old 10-11-2012, 22:48   #79
Registered User
 
ozskipper's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NSW Australia
Boat: Traditional 30
Posts: 1,981
Re: I've had enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
But most people ride scooters that cost $500 and hold 5 litres of fuel

the OP isn't on Cambodian wages.
Plus the rest of their cost of living does not have the high cost associated with it like here.
They can get a meal at a restaunrat and a beer for less than $1.00
Here Im flat out getting that under about $15

So dont choose Japan.

The point is that in most areas of Asia there are cheaper alternatives.
In Australia, there isn't really.
Basic accommodation (unless you own),rates,electricity, food and transport on the pension would be pretty difficult to live on.

Take that same amount to almost anywhere in Asia and you will be living the high life, probably eat out every-night, have a maid etc.
All valid points. In the countries, where you can get a $1 meal, there is no pension, no dept of housing, limited access to medical and heck, in sihanoukville only a k from the resorts the residents only had well water and a shared single extension cord to power 30 shanties.

So yeah, its nice to move there on an Aussie pension and live it up. But comparitively, the locals do it a lot lot lot tougher than we do. To broaden my initial point- to critisize aus, we must do it in the context of how others are living. Smokes were a 1.20 in Laos and only $1 in cambo. Based on the discussion so far the Laotions must think Cambodia is the place to be.
__________________
Cheers
Oz
...............
ozskipper is offline  
Old 10-11-2012, 22:49   #80
Registered User
 
ozskipper's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NSW Australia
Boat: Traditional 30
Posts: 1,981
Re: I've had enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
The sellers are delusional.
Do they think the locals have that sort of money?
They are praying for a greater fool from Australia, one who hasn't done his research on world prices, to come along and bail them out.
Yay.. We agree on something :-)

Though I think they are mainly looking to sell to expats who dont want the delivery cost from the US or Europe.
__________________
Cheers
Oz
...............
ozskipper is offline  
Old 10-11-2012, 22:51   #81
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 14
Re: I've had enough!

They are praying for a greater fool from Australia, one who hasn't done his research on world prices, to come along and bail them out.

Oh yes, a thousand times yes....how could I forget.......The people who will steal from you the most is the "local" expatriate....they know you, your background, habits and speak a common language. Anytime an expat tries to "sell" me something....bwahahahahaha....ain't gonna happen, friend!
__________________
Twotimer is offline  
Old 10-11-2012, 22:55   #82
Registered User
 
salticrak's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: palmwoods qld australia
Boat: wharram tiki 26
Posts: 739
Re: I've had enough!

Man, there is some spite and venom to the o.p. for goodness sake the bloke has done his time and is entitled to his opinion. Merchant seamen are a tough mob, my uncle was one back in the day between Africa and Brazil, making a quid on the side smuggling parrots.On this day 11/11 those blowhards who go on about love of country et al would be wise to take a moment to think of those poor buggers slaughtered for this misguided love.
__________________
salticrak is offline  
Old 10-11-2012, 23:00   #83
Registered User
 
ozskipper's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NSW Australia
Boat: Traditional 30
Posts: 1,981
Re: I've had enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by salticrak View Post
Man, there is some spite and venom to the o.p. for goodness sake the bloke has done his time and is entitled to his opinion. Merchant seamen are a tough mob, my uncle was one back in the day between Africa and Brazil, making a quid on the side smuggling parrots.On this day 11/11 those blowhards who go on about love of country et al would be wise to take a moment to think of those poor buggers slaughtered for this misguided love.
When someone chooses to ruffle feathers, expect the cockie poo to hit the fan. Would you like me to appologise for my national pride? Sorry wrong guy.
__________________
Cheers
Oz
...............
ozskipper is offline  
Old 10-11-2012, 23:06   #84
Registered User

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sydney Australia
Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Posts: 750
Re: I've had enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
I have a grip. And am on nothing like 100k. But I am very well travelled.. I cant stand it when people sledge a wonderful country like ours. We have good medical, education and policing. Our roads are amazing considering kilometres per capita. Sure we have regulation and govt scew ups- everyone screws up, its just that poli's are publicised when they do it. There isnt a perfect country on the planet. But ours is one of the closest.

A paupers lifestyle? He is about to buy and run a 50ft boat!
Can't help but agree. I too have travelled extensively and so also recognise the virtues and faults of this country, as every country has its own set. On balance I believe that this is still a pretty good place, a tad overgoverned but not as bad as others.
I find it interesting that that some don't like bieng treated as lesser citizens yet wish to go to places that afford them the ability to treat others as lesser biengs.
Remember the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.
__________________
Rob aka Uncle Bob Sydney Australia.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline  
Old 10-11-2012, 23:08   #85
Registered User
 
salticrak's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: palmwoods qld australia
Boat: wharram tiki 26
Posts: 739
Re: I've had enough!

So what would you prefer mate? For everyone to think and agree with your world view otherwise they will be accused of ruffling feathers by your good self?
__________________
salticrak is offline  
Old 10-11-2012, 23:10   #86
Registered User
 
cat man do's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brisbane Australia [until the boats launched]
Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Posts: 4,409
Images: 36
Re: I've had enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
All valid points. In the countries, where you can get a $1 meal, there is no pension, no dept of housing, limited access to medical and heck, in sihanoukville only a k from the resorts the residents only had well water and a shared single extension cord to power 30 shanties.

So yeah, its nice to move there on an Aussie pension and live it up. But comparitively, the locals do it a lot lot lot tougher than we do. To broaden my initial point- to critisize aus, we must do it in the context of how others are living. Smokes were a 1.20 in Laos and only $1 in cambo. Based on the discussion so far the Laotions must think Cambodia is the place to be.
Yes, comparisons like this can always be made
I can do the same in Vietnam where I saw a 90 year old grandmother (looked it at least) hawking her wares on a street right beside Rolls Royce's and Porches owned by her fellow countrymen.
Similar to this scene.


But the point still remains, I can and have taken my $500 a week there and damn near couldn't spend it (some weeks I couldn't)where here it hardly pays for rent, let alone food, electricity, food entertainment, medical etc etc.

Based on that reality Australia is poor value in comparison which is the point the OP is making.
__________________
"Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you a yacht large enough to pull up right alongside it"...............David Lee Roth
Long Distance Motorboat Cruising It Is Possible on a Small Budget
cat man do is offline  
Old 10-11-2012, 23:10   #87
Registered User
 
ozskipper's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NSW Australia
Boat: Traditional 30
Posts: 1,981
Re: I've had enough!

The feather ruffling is in reference to someone continually insulting our country in a public forum.
__________________
Cheers
Oz
...............
ozskipper is offline  
Old 10-11-2012, 23:14   #88
Registered User
 
cat man do's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brisbane Australia [until the boats launched]
Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Posts: 4,409
Images: 36
Re: I've had enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
I find it interesting that that some don't like bieng treated as lesser citizens yet wish to go to places that afford them the ability to treat others as lesser biengs.
Care to point to any section of any post that supports this claim of yours?
__________________
"Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you a yacht large enough to pull up right alongside it"...............David Lee Roth
Long Distance Motorboat Cruising It Is Possible on a Small Budget
cat man do is offline  
Old 10-11-2012, 23:16   #89
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: San Diego
Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
Posts: 1,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper
The feather ruffling is in reference to someone continually insulting our country in a public forum.
Especially since the OP started off by making stuff up.
__________________
SV Sea Story adventures
Greenhand is offline  
Old 10-11-2012, 23:19   #90
Registered User
 
ozskipper's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NSW Australia
Boat: Traditional 30
Posts: 1,981
Re: I've had enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Yes, comparisons like this can always be made
I can do the same in Vietnam where I saw a 90 year old grandmother (looked it at least) hawking her wares on a street right beside Rolls Royce's and Porches owned by her fellow countrymen.
Similar to this scene.


But the point still remains, I can and have taken my $500 a week there and damn near couldn't spend it (some weeks I couldn't)where here it hardly pays for rent, let alone food, electricity, food entertainment, medical etc etc.

Based on that reality Australia is poor value in comparison which is the point the OP is making.
I agree, in most parts of SEA its hard to spend a lot lol.

For one weeks average wage in aus, anyone can tot off to harvey norman and buy a 42 inch plasma. What size tv will the average wage buy in SEA? So the comparisons arent fair to the discussion.
__________________

__________________
Cheers
Oz
...............
ozskipper is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:33.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.