Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2012, 10:06   #271

Boat: OEM, proportional
Re: I've Had Enough!

No place on the planet is perfect, but there are still places where the BS is openly admitted to stink, compared to those where it is eaten with relish and called tasty by the majority.

One thing not mentioned is the biggest tax of all....inflation, courtesy of funny money conjured into existence by fractional "reserve" "bank" lending. It requires ever-increasing debt, unpayable principle and permanently draining interest payments....just hit the reset button every generation when the ponzi scheme collapses. And we wonder why we never get ahead.
Old 14-11-2012, 10:29   #272

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
And we wonder why we never get ahead.
I don't wonder anymore, now that I've learned how the FRB system works.

If anyone is interested in knowing more about this, look up "The Collapse of the American Dream" on YouTube. It is by far the most explanatory (and entertaining!) source I know of. I recommend it to everyone living in the industrialized world.

Though the show is focused on the development of the American FRB system, I believe you will see the immediate relevance to your FRB system where ever you are from.

Relevance: Knowledge of the global banking system(s) and how they operate is relevant to global citizens of every kind, such as full-time global cruisers.
Old 14-11-2012, 10:41   #273

Boat: OEM, proportional

Blast....I mis-spelled "principal" in my previous post, and the cyber-cement has set. See me after class, micah, write it out 1000 times.
Old 14-11-2012, 16:59   #274

Boat: Careel 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
No, no, really its awful! There's poisonous snakes, giant centipedes, Dengue fever, AIDS, the language is impossible, the food is bland, the list goes on ...
So! Sounds to me that Thailand is pretty similar to some parts of Australia, America, and a few other countries I've lived in
Quote:
I love it and I hate it (sometimes) but I also go back to the USA every six months so by the time I get back I've forgotten what I hated.
So what makes you differ from me...It sounds to me that you're living the life I plan to live for what time I have left
Quote:
But truthfully, it does have a long history of corruption especially at the local level. So, all I'm saying is don't come here if you are looking for less waste and corruption in your government. Otherwise, it's not bad, just hot and sticky all the time.
Australia will always be my country and government but, I have found corruption in dealing with officials in just about every country I ever lived in, I found I don't mind dropping a bottle of Scotch or 200 cigs to big a hardship to bear for a smooth passage, specially when I was making more money in a day than those officials were paid in a month

Bill
Australia
Old 14-11-2012, 20:31   #275

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillAU View Post
So! Sounds to me that Thailand is pretty similar to some parts of Australia, America, and a few other countries I've lived in

So what makes you differ from me...It sounds to me that you're living the life I plan to live for what time I have left

Australia will always be my country and government but, I have found corruption in dealing with officials in just about every country I ever lived in, I found I don't mind dropping a bottle of Scotch or 200 cigs to big a hardship to bear for a smooth passage, specially when I was making more money in a day than those officials were paid in a month

Bill
Australia
So, we are mostly on the same page. As for the corruption I wish it was as easy as slipping someone a bottle or some cigs, but I'm talking bigger problems. For example, tens of thousands of dollars were earmarked for road repairs along our street but the local politicians skimmed off so much there was little left for repairs. Same for the bridge that was washed out by a floor last year. I made pretty good money when I was working but nothing compared to what the politicians make from the graft. They make officially $500/month is some cases but manage to live in huge mansions and drive luxury cars. Those sort of guys aren't bought off with some booze and cigs.
Old 14-11-2012, 23:26   #276

Boat: Farrier, F-44SC, performance cruising cat

Hi Bill,

Of all the quotes, data, opinions and ideas shared regarding your first post, I singled out this one because it helps remind me of what cruising really is.

The poster said: "to get to where you're going, you have to know where you're going, and where you're coming from ".......that one made me laugh a little.

For me, cruising doesn't really have that much to do with where you are going or from whence you have come. It's more about where you are at the moment.

As a 6 year builder set to cruise next fall, I feel that we all share similar predicaments. It's nice to imagine and work towards creating our future, but it's a shame if it is at the expense of our present.

I live on a beautiful little farm in Hood River, Oregon. It's a playground in the summer time and no place on earth could be more beautiful. I am working full time on a 44ft. cat but I do this with eyes wide open. Although I think I would much rather be on a tropical island right now than face the coming pacific north west rain, when I find myself looking off into my minds horizon, I remind myself that moments go by whether you appreciate them or not.

For now, I'm cruising in my mind, building with my hands and open to what ever will be.

Regardless, If you get out there on a boat, maybe we can share an anchorage and a beer someday.

"where ever I go, there I am"
Old 15-11-2012, 03:58   #277

Boat: Franz Maas 37

Quote:
So, we are mostly on the same page. As for the corruption I wish it was as easy as slipping someone a bottle or some cigs, but I'm talking bigger problems. For example, tens of thousands of dollars were earmarked for road repairs along our street but the local politicians skimmed off so much there was little left for repairs. Same for the bridge that was washed out by a floor last year. I made pretty good money when I was working but nothing compared to what the politicians make from the graft. They make officially $500/month is some cases but manage to live in huge mansions and drive luxury cars. Those sort of guys aren't bought off with some booze and cigs.
Just a couple of weeks ago, the Bangkok Post quoted the Thai Ombudsman as saying that in all government tenders, tenderers had to inflate the price by an average of 30% to cover the political and bureaucratic skim. Then they have to do a poor, cheap job in order to make a profit themselves.

It is par for the course in a country where the head of the ruling party is a convicted criminal who cannot come home to Thailand because he faces a 2 year jail sentence. He heads the party...his little sister is Prime Minister.

It's a very ugly place if you have a social conscience.
Old 15-11-2012, 04:07   #278

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
Just a couple of weeks ago, the Bangkok Post quoted the Thai Ombudsman as saying that in all government tenders, tenderers had to inflate the price by an average of 30% to cover the political and bureaucratic skim. Then they have to do a poor, cheap job in order to make a profit themselves.

It is par for the course in a country where the head of the ruling party is a convicted criminal who cannot come home to Thailand because he faces a 2 year jail sentence. He heads the party...his little sister is Prime Minister.

That's right or as they say here ... TIT (This is Thailand)!
Old 15-11-2012, 05:46   #279
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post

I was no supporter of Thaksin, but his Healthcare reforms were a giant leap forward both for the actual healthcare and socially. The cat is out of bag - and ain't going back on many things in Thailand........will be interesting to find out if the lid can be kept on once the current monarch dies.

IME the veneer of happy smiley only goes so deep with the Thais........

....perhaps something to bear in mind for folks when making "forever plans".
Old 15-11-2012, 06:01   #280

vientoman said "moments go by whether you appreciate them or not."
Nice one, I'm gonna use that. And good luck with the Cat and the plans - see you on the water mate!

Regarding Australia and taxes & corruption, i come down somewhere in the middle of the two extremes.

I'm a tax accountant and while i agree that our income tax and sales tax (GST) is low compared to Sweden, there are a stupefying number of insidious hidden taxes in this country. At least in Sweden they're up front about their taxes. Ours are largely disguised, there's even an earlier post where the poster says he doesn't pay property taxes, only "council rates" - like they're not taxes?! He drank the Cool-Aid I'm afraid.

We have lots of extra names for our secret taxes to disguise them: duties, rates, levies, surcharges, excises, registrations, etc...

The Henry Tax Report (which has conveniently been forgotten by the trade unionists, sorry, the guvmint) named 150 hidden taxes on our fair island continent, in addition to income tax and sales tax.

So while i agree that we need roads, police, schools, hospitals, etc... i believe that around 33% of the tax collected gets wasted. Too many snouts in the trough.

By my circulations (and i really have done them, spreadsheets and everything, for my own amusement) we Aussies are the fourth highest taxed OECD country, when calculated per-capita. It's around $350 billion dragged forcibly from the paypackets of a mere 14 million taxpayers.

And when the baby-boomers who have spent the kid's inheritance start needing their nappies changed in aged care facilities, taxes are gonna HAVE to go up, i guarantee it. There just aren't enough younger taxpayers coming through the ranks to cover that cost.
Hence the need for more immigration - you baby-boomers will NEED those tax payers.

And don't get me started on politicians' retirement incomes, which has not been saved up for...

And another thing...
Gawd, i'm starting to sound like an AM radio talk-back caller...
Old 15-11-2012, 13:52   #281

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Normamby.
Old 15-11-2012, 14:46   #282

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normanby View Post

So while i agree that we need roads, police, schools, hospitals, etc... i believe that around 33% of the tax collected gets wasted. Too many snouts in the trough. ..
Any documentation to support that?

Quote:
And another thing...
Gawd, i'm starting to sound like an AM radio talk-back caller...
Yes, but its an internet forum so its o.k.

In a democratic society I think the blame ultimately lies with the voters. Our only choice is to vote them out and get involved in putting up better candidates. Remember the ones we have WE chose.
Old 15-11-2012, 15:40   #283
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
By my circulations (and i really have done them, spreadsheets and everything, for my own amusement)
I do not mean to be a Grammar Nazi but that just made me laugh out loud. Have this mental picture of trying to work things out whilst spinning round. Sorry good sir, not meant to offend, just amused me a little.

Coops.
Old 15-11-2012, 15:54   #284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
I do not mean to be a Grammar Nazi but that just made me laugh out loud. Have this mental picture of trying to work things out whilst spinning round. Sorry good sir, not meant to offend, just amused me a little.

Coops.
Nothing wrong with the grammar, he was saying that whist trying to twist facts around to suit his own way of thinking (political bias) as with just about all posts on this subject ( mine included) lol
Old 15-11-2012, 16:00   #285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles

Any documentation to support that?
Nope, i said I "believe" they waste 33%, it's my suspicion, so no documentation needed.

And as to my crimes of grammar, guilty as charged! But the spell checker was an accessory before the fact yer honour!
Closed Thread