Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 22:04   #136

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Re: I've had enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
This thread is based on a grumpy ol man who is bitter at his country for whatever reason. Perhaps he watches too much Today Tonight? But hell, after post after post of reading a fellow country man sledging our own country on an internation forum, I find it discusting. Others have provided feedback on his questions, however the public sledging of our wonderful country continues, sadly, without true discussion of real places to go .

Bill. Hurry up and go. Then you can tell us how bad the rest of world is.

Bill,
I can certainly simpathsize with you, particually the wastes of our federal and state governments.

Guess there are some supporters of current governments that will always defend their side of politics and get most upset with any criticism, ever.

Got to love the current federal mob who are trying to suggest and lecture to the rest of the world how great we are doing with our economy. Trying to tell USA and Europe to follow our lead.

Pathetic.

I am a proud Australian but are prepared to admit everything is not perfect.

However i think i am getting rather tired of all the politics (all sides) and aspire as does Bill to get a vessel and get away from it all. at least for the period one is a sea or overseas.

Hope it works out for you Bill.
Old 11-11-2012, 23:31   #137

Boat: Careel 22

Quote:
This thread is based on a grumpy ol man who is bitter at his country for whatever reason.
Bill. Hurry up and go. Then you can tell us how bad the rest of world is.
Perhaps we could do with a few more grumpy old men and women in Australia...To keep the bastards honest, and accountable.

As for...Bill. Hurry up and go. Then you can tell us how bad the rest of world is.

Well mate, I've only worked and lived in the following countries, so let me know which countries interest you and I'll give you my views, just remember, things could have changed since I was there.
I also point out that I never mix in other countries politics...To me, that is out of bounds since I'm a guest of that country.

In no particular order: Australia, England, Wales, Ireland, Belgium, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Yugoslavia, (sorry, it's now several countries) Turkey, Greece, Iran, Pakistan, India, Afghanistan, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Bahrain, United Arab Emirates, The US of A, (All states apart from Hawaii, Alaska and Florida) Canada, (Ontario only) South Africa, Honduras.

I have been to a few other countries, including Malaysia, KL but that was only for a couple of days so they don't count as I was not there long enough to truly mix with the locals.

I enjoyed my stay in those countries, even my dealings with customs and other officials. I found a bit of courtesy and treating people with respect went a long way...A bottle of Scotch or a carton of smokes was not always required in dealing with them. I found people in Islamic countries such as Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Bahrain and the United Arab Emirates, to be honest and polite, as well as being well educated, and the police, even though most carried machine guns and pistols, were courteous and helpful to me but then I'm no bum, druggie or crook, (I'm not insinuating you are) the police made short work of those sorts.

Cheers,

Grumpy Old Bill
Old 11-11-2012, 23:31   #138

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Beats me why you mention children when the report doesn't
The report said centre link payments.
Centre link does not jut pay unemployment benefits.

The reason I mentioned child care benefits is because a HUGE proportion of Australian families receive them, therefore, a HUGE proportion of Australian families are on centrelink payments.

At the end of the day, these payments for the Afghanis and Iraqis go to 0.01% of the population, so really, in the scheme of things, who cares?
Old 11-11-2012, 23:34   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do
Yes, and I have a far better lifestyle whenever I am in SEA
Snip

Quote:
"Only" because you earn Australian wages!!! So, as I said, that comparison is unfair to the discussion.
The OP also earns Australian wages.
Neither of us earn Asian wages.

Bringing Asian wages into the discussion when neither of us are on them is pointless to the discussion
Old 12-11-2012, 00:12   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillAU View Post
A quick update, I forgot to thank those members who shared their views on where a bloke could retire to on his own boat. Thanks mates, your tips are much appreciated

Bill
Australia
Actually, once you retire, Australia is pretty good. Not so much tax when you don't earn anything!

Certainly not the cheapest place to live, but a bloody good place to cruise.
Old 12-11-2012, 00:23   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillAU View Post
Thanks Atoll, Vanuatu sounds good to me, summer in NZ, also great fishing and hunting, then winter in Vanuatu
Just back from Vanuatu, and OZ is pretty bloody good!
Old 12-11-2012, 00:42   #142

Boat: wharram tiki 26

Complexity, the over reliance on process for en ever increasing set of institutions just contributes to the modern malaise.
I feel many here long for a simpler time. Many feel estranged and feel they are sidelined.Therefore look to other parts of the world that they hope does not have the hamster wheel going so fast methinks.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:07   #143
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
Thailand seems to be the most promising choice for western rats fleeing the sinking ships of state. It was never conquered by western colonial/industrial bankster interests, and the philosophy of their Monarch is most unusual indeed. Hence the attemps by the globalist oligarchs to install their captive lackey...Shinawatra. I'll trade the dubious prosperity of Aus or the Eu for Thailand anytime I can; less government "support" programs also means less interference and mooching, and therefore more opportunity to see to those things myself. I'd rather deal with my neighbours and locals than a faceless beaureacracy stuffed with ideologues and parasites. Bill, you're on the right track, something definitely stinks.
Well done , it takes some people a lifetime of living in Thailand to acquire that much knowledge. Others do so within a week, and then get a bit smarter.

I genuinely think OP will be well suited to the place and you won't be the odd Westerner out by any stretch..........Plus they also have a term for Bludger (albeit not specific to folks who turn up in the country and think that the tax on their beer and fags is "paying their way".....but close enough.......I guess if you can't beat 'em - join 'em).
Old 12-11-2012, 02:18   #144

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post

Thailand seems to be the most promising choice for western rats fleeing the sinking ships of state. It was never conquered by western colonial/industrial bankster interests, and the philosophy of their Monarch is most unusual indeed. Hence the attemps by the globalist oligarchs to install their captive lackey...Shinawatra. I'll trade the dubious prosperity of Aus or the Eu for Thailand anytime I can; less government "support" programs also means less interference and mooching, and therefore more opportunity to see to those things myself. I'd rather deal with my neighbours and locals than a faceless beaureacracy stuffed with ideologues and parasites.
Come on in the water's fine! Just be aware that unless you have a Thai spouse or live in a expat community (not my taste) you will really need to speak the language and that takes time.

Oh, and speaking of "parasites", I hope you do mind a little corruption because that's what the government runs on here.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:09   #145

Boat: Able 50

You still here BillAU ?

How fair dinkum are you ?

You remind me of the butcher's cat.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:32   #146
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
You still here BillAU ?

How fair dinkum are you ?

You remind me of the butcher's cat.
Unnecessary at the least. We may or may not agree with his comments but under the circumstances of his wife's illness perhaps we should understand some bitterness with the world or life in general. He has had his say, you have had yours, let's leave it at that then.

Coops.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:43   #147

Boat: Freya double ender 40 ft

England is the place. They enjoy paying high taxes and the queen is lovely. I'm particularly looking forward to paying my death duties.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:49   #148

Boat: Able 50

No doubt HM is equally looking forward to receiving them.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:23   #149

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
The OP also earns Australian wages.
Neither of us earn Asian wages.

Bringing Asian wages into the discussion when neither of us are on them is pointless to the discussion
Its the Crux of the discussion!! How can one compare one country to another otherwise. To say that SEA is cheap, is only based on 'our' wages, not theirs.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:34   #150

Quote:
Its the Crux of the discussion!! How can one compare one country to another otherwise. To say that SEA is cheap, is only based on 'our' wages, not theirs.
Yes
To us who are commenting it is cheap.
What part of this can't you understand?
Closed Thread