Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2008, 21:24   #61
cruiser

Yachtie started "down under"

In the mid 1970s, I sailed across the Pacific. I didn't hear the term yachtie til I got to the western part of the S. Pacific. I think it started in Australia or New Zealand, where "ie" was added to any term which might have enthusiasts--the American surfer was a "surfie" down under. Of course, in New Zealand, it would refer only to sailing yachties, as power boats were called "launches;" even really big power yachts were called launches. In the U.S., "yachty" tended to refer to the blue blazer set and their yachts, but that was an adjective, not a noun. I suppose that to some, "yachty" would be a term of disparagement, if spoken from a vantage point of egalitarianism. ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** In the U.S., yacht is the name given to any pleasure vessel, tacitly omitting small craft such as dingies and kayaks. Traditionally, a ship was any boat to large to carry on board another vessel, and a boat was any vessel that might be carried on a ship-but in the U.S. popular usage refers to any vessel as a "boat," even an aircraft carrier.
BigCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 04:19   #62

Boat: Brent Swain Pilot House 36' Steel Sloop
"Sellfish Contaminated - No Harvesting"

This is a sign frequently seen throughout British Columbia Gulf Islands and now even further north in the Broughtons and beyond. Sewage discharge in small anchorages or just due to the sheer number of boats both sail & trawler types is being noticed unfavorably in BC waters....garbage tossed in the bush etc.... Derogatory terms are a reaction to perceived threats and it appears the term "yachtie" is headed in that direction here. I think this also relates back ultimately to an overcrowded planet... something like road rage but now happening on the waters. Regulations are now being considered like never before in British Columbia and it would not surprise me to see restrictions on number of boats similar to restriction placed on numbers of land visitors to park areas.

Gary
bcguy is offline   Reply With Quote