Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-03-2016, 09:44   #106

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: Is an Air Rifle Considered a Firearm ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
A difference that makes no difference. In many jurisdictions possession of a "weapon" will get you just as much jail time as possession of a "firearm." I doubt that the OP (or anyone else for that matter) is completely unconcerned about going to prison, but desperately worried about the particular dictionary definitions of these words.

The real point, though, is that every jurisdiction is different. Asking "is a slingshot a firearm?" is a completely meaningless question unless you specify WHERE you are talking about. It could be just a child's toy in one country, and a weapon that will get you thrown in jail for the rest of your life in the next country over.

Why does it continue to be so hard for so many people to grasp the concept that the world is made up of many different countries, and each country gets to make their own laws? (And, just to be clear, Rustic Charm, this is a rhetorical question, not directed at you.)
The difference between a 'firearm' and a 'weapon' is substantial in AUSTRALIA at least. All 'firearms' and 'weapon's must be declared. But, not all weapons will be prohibited from entry or is it unlawful to possess in this country. ALL 'firearms' in this country require a license and permit and proof of secure storage. 'Weapons' do not. However, carrying an item that can be a weapon in this country in a public place can be an offense. Hense forth, you can't go walking around with pocket knives in this country. Though you can readily purchase them from almost any shop.

Slingshots are not unlawful, though they are an prohibited item to import. Carrying them in a public place is again unlawful.

So, at least in this country, the distinction makes a huge difference.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 10:02   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
So, at least in this country, the distinction makes a huge difference.
Not surprised. As I said, every jurisdiction is different. And that's why these questions (and the answers offered) are always pretty pointless unless you are specific about WHERE you are talking about. There is no one, single answer that applies everywhere.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 10:17   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Not surprised. As I said, every jurisdiction is different. And that's why these questions (and the answers offered) are always pretty pointless unless you are specific about WHERE you are talking about. There is no one, single answer that applies everywhere.
very true.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:31   #109
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Go to any local prison, preferably a large long-term one, and see if you can get in to take a look at their trophy case. They usually have one, full of the assorted shivs and other weapons taken from inmates, often after they actually have been used as weapons.

Among the various "artifacts" that were never intended to be weapons? A package of hot sauce, a plastic fork, a sharpened toothbrush...all sorts of things. Any good magazine with a nice stiff glue binding (Redbook used to be one of the leading contenders) can be rolled up and used as a baton. Federal agencies used to teach that to field agents. And for many years, the CIA used to issue classic Cross pens to all field agents. They make very good stilettos, just extend the point and you've got a great way to stab someone.

All, by definition, ordinary artifacts that are also "weapons" in the right hands and circumstances. So laws that cite "weapons" without defining them...(G)...interesting concept.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 13:09   #110

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Tanks for the sling shot specific responses.

Found this link that shows the hat makes a NY slingshot illegal.

Pretty idiotic.

http://www.slingshots.com/html/new-york-state-gun-laws.html
As has been said, it depends on the local legislation, but PNG is typical of many countries that cruisers visit in this regard. Here's the actual situation here:

1. Air rifle is covered under the Firearms Act:
“air-rifle” means a firearm of any kind, whether rifled or not, which is capable of propelling a projectile of any kind by means of compressed air or gas the force of which is released by means of a trigger or similar device;

“firearm” includes–
(a) an air-rifle or other kind of rifle or gun from which a shot, bullet or other missile, or irritant liquid, gas or powder or other substance capable of causing bodily harm, can be discharged;

2. Slingshot. It is not a "Firearm" under the Firearms Act, but it is an "Offensive Weapon" under the Summary Offences Act. As are many other devices people talk about carrying:
(i) any imitation of a pistol, revolver, rifle, shotgun, machine gun or sub machine gun, unless such article is obviously a child’s toy, of a type, class and description approved by the Registrar;
(ii) any article or device of a type or description commonly known as a knuckle duster or metal knuckles or any article or device made or adapted for use as such;
(iii) a sap glove or a studded glove;
(iv) a mace, knobkerry or similar device intended to be used as a blunt instrument, other than a ceremonial mace made or used solely as a symbol of authority on ceremonial occasions;
(v) any article or device in the form of a flail in which the striking part is armed with spikes or studded with any protruding matter, any whip or lash which is comprised wholly or partly of any form of metal, or any article commonly known as a cat of nine tails, whether or not it has nine leathers;
(vi) any article commonly known as kung ** sticks, otherwise known as Nunchiku or any similar article;
(vii) a pistol, capable of being concealed in the palm of the hand, but not including the standard ‘pocket’ or ‘purse’ pistol;
(viii) a firearm which substantially duplicates a walking stick, walking cane or umbrella;
(ix) a riding crop containing a knife or stiletto;
(x) a walking stick, walking cane or umbrella containing a knife, stiletto or sword;
(xi) a knife commonly known as a flick knife which has a blade which opens automatically on pressure of a button or similar release device;
(xii) a crossbow, other than an antique crossbow used for ornamental purposes;
(xiii) a cow prod, or similar device intended to cause an electrical shock upon the recipient;
(xiv) a sling shot or similar device such as the thing commonly known as a catapult;

And more importantly, from the same Act:
(1) A person who without reasonable excuse– (a) carries; or
(b) has in his possession, custody or control,
any offensive weapon is guilty of an offence.
Penalty: [8]A fine not exceeding K2,000.00 or imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 16:25   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
Yes it can and no if you used it it won't stop someone. It only makes them mad. It's a toy weapon. The really nice ones are a target shooting recreational sport enjoyed by many. It's not a really a serious weapon but some places might consider it one. Other than in competition I know of no serious use for one other than small rodents. They are a lot of fun to shoot at close range.
Extreme Big Bore Air Rifles - Home Not your dads bb gun, and not toys. Capable of killing any animal on earth, and has.
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 03:11   #112

Boat: Top Hat (Mark III) 25 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
In the United Kingdom, for example, air pistols generating more than 8.1 Joules, or air rifles generating more than 16.2 Joules of energy are considered firearms.
I remember being in the UK in the late 60s, when you paid 10 shillings (that's half a Pound Sterling) at any post office for a 12 month license that was good for either an air gun or a shot gun. My, how times change, eh?
PommyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 14:26   #113
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I took my Beeman air rifle to Germany years ago when I was stationed there and discovered that in Germany there was an energy limit that made it illegal. No one cared, it wasn't an issue, but it was illegal cause it was too high a velocity and above that muzzle energy allowed.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 14:27   #114
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I took my Beeman air rifle to Germany years ago when I was stationed there and discovered that in Germany there was an energy limit that made it illegal. No one cared, it wasn't an issue, but it was illegal cause it was too high a velocity and above that muzzle energy allowed.
Way back in I believe the 1800's there were air rifles that were used to shoot bears, seems I guess they were more reliable than flint locks

a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 14:27   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by PommyDave View Post
I remember being in the UK in the late 60s, when you paid 10 shillings (that's half a Pound Sterling) at any post office for a 12 month license that was good for either an air gun or a shot gun. My, how times change, eh?
Before the Port Arthur incident, we didn't have any license's for rifles and shot guns. Just hand guns. Now kids can't even have toy guns in public.