Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2012, 18:17   #1

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
iPhone 10 Minutes Bottom Of Lake

Today, my wife hands me a hat on the docks, and somehow manages to drop her cell phone. It bounced around the dock, and went between boards into the lake.

It was easily 10 minutes before we found it.

I wrapped it in toilet paper, and drove to a grocery store to purchase rice.

In a zip lock bag, with rice, it stayed the afternoon sticking out my sun roof in the rice bag, to stay warm.

4 hours later I taped it to the center of a fan blade, and spun the phone 10 minutes. This pushed any water back out the holes it came in, driving the water backwards out the holes. (my idea, found this nowhere on the Internet)

Then I used a shop vac to vacuum every opening on the phone. I used duct tape to make a tight seal, so the air needed to be pulled from the phone, along with any residual water.

During the vacuum process, I accidentally pushed a button on the phone, and the phone lit up as normal.

I powered the phone down, and it is now sitting the night again in the rice bag.

There is life after your iPhone spends 10 minutes (at least) at the bottom of a lake.

I dropped my phone in the bath tub a year ago, 3 seconds in the water, used towels and a blow dryer to dry mine, and it shuts off several times a week, having to be hard started by pushing two buttons at the same time for 30 seconds.

Interesting to see if hers comes out of it better than mine.

We will never again go near the boats without our iPhones in zip lock bags.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	67uir7itr.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	45076  
GaryMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2012, 18:19   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: iPhone 10 Minutes Bottom Of Lake

Ahhhhhh........Freshwater.

I can't wait until my Iphone dies......then it's back to flip phone land for me.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2012, 18:22   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Ahhhhhh........Freshwater.

I can't wait until my Iphone dies......then it's back to flip phone land for me.
Did some homework having two iPhones wet in a years time. In saltwater, first soak your iPhone in distilled water to thin out the effects of salt.
Old 17-08-2012, 18:27   #4

Boat: Tartan 30

I just had my 3 year old iphone die after being in my pocket for about 10 minutes during a rainstorm. I let it dry out for about a week before I gave up on it (although, not in rice).

I gave it away, bought a waterproof android phone, and am very happy with it so far. It's not the best phone in the world and won't make a good navigation device, but it's great for everything I need it for.

But, yesterday, the guy I gave the iphone to said he got it running! He had left it plugged in for more than a week, then one day it just started charging up. I deleted all my info and gave it back to him. I'm over it I really like this android phone and I think I'll stick with stuff that is actually built to be waterproof from now on, even though the iphone managed to survive.
Old 17-08-2012, 18:35   #5

Boat: PETERSON 44
Yes sometimes. I have revived mine after a good dunking. Don't rush to power it up. My last survived several submersions. I have low temp
Baked it in a open oven and been okay . Oops last time i big time I over cooked it and well. The apple.clerk is looking at something that looks like a popover. What happened? She asked with disbelief. I. Couldn't tell her that it had been sunk 6 times and well it was in the oven and I spaced. I just said I will not tell you. It looked like it had done a planetary re entry. Keep it up with the rice.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2012, 18:39   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl
My past two iPhone's met the same fate. They dry out in rice, are usable for a while then death comes.

Back up everything you wish to save as soon as its functional. Not an easy task when there's been damage because iTunes and apple updates don't seem to play well with damaged phones. Apple geniuses don't like to spend time transferring your music and pics to your new iPhone either.

Went to bestbuy, bought a galaxy. Bestbuy cheerfully transferred all my music and pics to the new phone :-) The Galaxy has a removable memory card and battery. No need to be dependent on iTunes ever again!

So far I'm happier with my Droid and I really loved my iPhone. I wasn't impressed with Apple customer service or being tethered to iTunes.
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2012, 18:49   #7

lifeproof.com

(I have no relations with that company, just a happy customer.)
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2012, 19:54   #8

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

It's good to know that there is a faint glimmer of hope for the iPhone if it gets dunked. I figured that there would have been no hope at all. When I am in the swimming pool, I put my phone in a zip lock bag near the edge of the pool to protect it just in case an accident happens. Ziploc bags are awesome.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2012, 20:15   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl
Mine was in a life proof case for second dive. Not so reliable :-(
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2012, 20:27   #10

Boat: Tartan 30

Funny because "life proof" is the sales compaign for for my

I had a nice waterproof case for my iphone, but it was no good for daily use. I like my phones to actually fit in my pocket...

At the tiki bar here, there's a pool. A few times a year somebody thinks it's funny to push their friend into the pool unannounced. Smartphone lost everytime.... Dunkings usually only happen when you least expect them. So, unless you keep the case on it 24/7, they are no good IMO.

There's currently about 5 android phones on the market that are waterproof to atleast ip7 standards. Great thing about android is the freedom and choices. You can have old hardware and still have the latest software. Customized 100% etc.. Little more work than an iphone, but it's worth it IMO. I didn't like the motoblur crap but I had it gone by the end of the first day Today I have the most functional phone I've ever seen.

I'm convinced that using cases and bags to protect a device is useless. If you want tough and waterproof, you just have to go that route to begin with... And the next laptop I get will be a toughbook.

My only complaint with the Defy is the Assisted GPS. Simply not going to work for navigation. But then, I have waterproof GPS devices for that stuff anyway
Old 17-08-2012, 21:35   #11

We had blackberry touch screen phones before the iPhone. I hated them. worst cellphone experience in my life, and I go way back to bag phones, before brick phones.

It 56, not sure I want to train my mind to use another cellphone.I do think Motorola makes very nice equipment.
Old 17-08-2012, 21:37   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl View Post
My past two iPhone's met the same fate. They dry out in rice, are usable for a while then death comes.

Back up everything you wish to save as soon as its functional. Not an easy task when there's been damage because iTunes and apple updates don't seem to play well with damaged phones. Apple geniuses don't like to spend time transferring your music and pics to your new iPhone either.

Went to bestbuy, bought a galaxy. Bestbuy cheerfully transferred all my music and pics to the new phone :-) The Galaxy has a removable memory card and battery. No need to be dependent on iTunes ever again!

So far I'm happier with my Droid and I really loved my iPhone. I wasn't impressed with Apple customer service or being tethered to iTunes.
Backing up everything is not that simple, not for me. On two iPhones, I have tried to save everything, and miss-understand the questions in the process, and wipe everything out.

Now I am afraid to hook up an iPhone to a computer.
Old 17-08-2012, 22:11   #13

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

I've lost two of them overboard. There must be millions of them on the seabed around the globe. They may mate and start a new life-form.
Cherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2012, 23:36   #14

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

They can put a rover the size of an SUV on Mars, yet they cannot water-proof a phone to 10 meters. I never graduated to smart phones. I stayed with little flip phones. I learned quick, not to keep them in a shirt pocket. You lean over the rail to adjust the air vane and the last thing the phone says is..."glurk"!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2012, 00:30   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor
They can put a rover the size of an SUV on Mars, yet they cannot water-proof a phone to 10 meters. I never graduated to smart phones. I stayed with little flip phones. I learned quick, not to keep them in a shirt pocket. You lean over the rail to adjust the air vane and the last thing the phone says is..."glurk"!
I keep a silicone cover on mine so it will not slip out a shirt pocket.

Tags
iphone