Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-05-2008, 13:53   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Investment opportunities in marine commodities

A group of my friends were sitting around the lunch counter talking about the high costs, in general, of marine basic materials, relative to the general price rises of fuel, food, etc. An interesting observation resulted.

Given, that everything is rising in cost because of the basic ingredients rising in cost, one who chooses to remain in boating might consider active purchasing for their own needs. Specifically, we all need batteries. No matter what flavor you wish, whether lead-based or more exotic, the metals are skyrocketing. Perhaps now might be a good time to buy a replacement set, rather than waiting another year or so.

Bottom paint, heavy gauge electrical cable, and similar high-copper products are similarly going up in price almost daily. Purchase these products now (maybe with the $300-600 Uncle sent you) and tuck them away somewhere secure until you actually can do that bottomjob or rewire.
Sure, fuel is rising, but LPU paint and epoxy resin haven't quite caught up - yet. Take it from one who built a WEST System boat in the 70's oil crisis, epoxy is made from petrochemicals, as is Sterling, Awlgrip, etc. Buy now and tuck them away. You will be very glad.

Zinc is a fairly mundane and common metal we all use as galvinizing for our chains, sacrificial zincs, etc. Again, consider having your chain regalvinized this year rather than later. And fill the bilge with a case of spare zincs while the price is lower.

I won't even go into the future cost of dacron and other petrochemical synthetics. I just have a very good hunch that these are going to be direct savings for me over the coming decade, at least the life of most of these products.

Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 14:53   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Back to just the Jon boat.
When I was 20 I found a good deal on sandpaper.
I bought a bunch of all grits I was commonly using at the time.
I did not buy sand paper for 15 years.
I have always bought things in bulk.
No stockpiles have outlived me yet though.
Soon I imagine............
Then there is the "better technology" thing.
And I am glad I did not buy two Ford Aerostars. What a piece of junk.

Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 16:12   #3

Boat: seawind II Patience
mar com

The logic here can not be chalnged things we need will go up.My problem is live on boat & many would last almost forever simce I would probably have to move off.Learned a long time ago living on boats before you buy something decide what to throw away.Would be great investement for wknd or short cruise sailors.Ps have nice shed but 800 mi awat.
marc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 17:00   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
False economy in some respects. Like if you need batteries, you buy batteries. But why change out something that is working because you may need in a year or two. You are better off making something last as long as you can then change it out when you have to. If you are building a boat, then yeah buy up bulk of what you need, especially if there are sales. But no point in spending money and having to store just because one day it might be handy. You are better putting the money in the bank or investment and keep it earning interest till you need to buy what you need.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 17:27   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 46' custom cat
But no point in spending money and having to store just because one day it might be handy
I'm with Alan here. As a liveaboard anything extra has to be stored ashore. I once did the math and realized that it would be cheaper to buy power tools and give them away after every project than to pay for storage!

mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 20:05   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
With the price of fuel rising daily, it's probably not a good idea to buy stock in a company which manufactures power boats.

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 07:02   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sceptre 41 Ohana
Let's see a 100% spike in the price of lead leads to a 25% spike in the price of batteries. $100 battery goes up to $125. Put $100 in the bank for a year if your lucky you get 5%. End of the you have $105. But here cometh the tax man and he says give me 30% so now your $105 is down to $103.50. I guess that battery was a better deal at $100 than saving your money.

If you don't need a battery by all means don't by one. If you are trying to stretch that battery or those sails or some of the other stuff that us sailors need for an extra year it might be better to buy it now rather than wait.

Inflation Econ 101.

Don't see how that is an investment though.

My read on the post is that there is inflation coming. Spending your money on needed things now makes more sense than waiting. For Example Chain 3/8" BBB purchased as a full drum 2007 Defender catalogue $1119 2008 catalogue $1198 a difference of $79 on a $1100 purchase. Not tooo bad but it is a 7% jump. The chain price between 2006 and 2007 was greater I believe I think it was $150. If someone had the 2006 Defender catalogue we could quantify it.

BTW For all of those who wanted to invest please send your check to

Suckers Are Us Sailboat investment club.
123 Calle De Oro
Playa de Sur, Costa Rica ( you know that country that purportedly has no extradiction treaty for money crimes)

Sorry we are only selling blocks for this wonderful investment in $1m US dollar increments with a minimum buy in of $2m. Oh Yeah a guranteed return of 15% annually.

Fair Winds,

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: