Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2011, 18:04   #16
cruiser

Re: In the VI's, how lucky do I have to be to get lucky?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
Many ladies of third world countries view a meaningful relationship with a singlehanding American as a way to leave their country. So it depends on which desparate person would consider themselves lucky.

The flip side is that if you have trouble establishing a relationship in your home environment while not living on a boat, buying a boat willnot improve your chances for a relationship.
Gee I hadn't realized the VI was quite third world.. more like weird world.. I mean WAPA is not the best at keeping the electric on and learning to drive on the wrong side of the road was a challenge and I know the murder rate is similar to here on the continent in really bad places but still you can go to Sunny Isle and get your sundries at K-mart stop in the Social Security office and make sure you are still on the books and swing by the Wendy's for a bite.

I don't think you will be bothered with young hotties trying to "escape". All they need do is get on a plane and fly to the continent if they wish. Most guys coming to the VI bring their women with them but a drunken fling is certainly doable if that's your speed. Duffy's comes to mind LOL.
Noname1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 18:08   #17

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: In the VI's, how lucky do I have to be to get lucky?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty.gregory View Post
I don't stand a chance...
Sorry to say that's what i was thinking. Anyone can get lucky anytime but I ca'nt see it working consistently. Even the secretaries from Iowa can have all the older paunchy guys they want back in Otumwa. I think you should consider Cuba or Central America. What gal you meet can't use a little money?
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 18:18   #18
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Sorry mate... I think what I was subtley saying... if you read carefully..
Of course you'll get laid.... if your any good...
and even if your not...
I read somewhere that the average person is attactive to 1 in 20 of the opposite sex.... after one opens their mouths... the odds can change...
Now that sh!t's funny!!
Old 17-03-2011, 18:27   #19

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post
Go to Ft Myers beach in Florida. It's one big party town and the girls will approach you regularly down there. Especially when they find out that you live on a [really nice] boat.

And a word of advice: sunscreen.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 18:34   #20

Boat: Sold Catalina 250

Ok, time for a lady to chime in. First I must say I am taken. Do you have any idea how many lady sailors are looking for respectful sailing partners to have fun with. Why can't you find one in the good old USA. Remember no lady wants to be seen in a less respectful way. I am really surprised how many ladies are out there sailing looking for crew. If a good man only understood that there are many ladies with the same dream, think about it. All the work it takes to try to get lucky, what are you thinking. Get real and find a real woman who loves to sail and wants to go with you. Just remember at the end of the night you can't just get up and leave her in another country.
lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 18:38   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrie View Post
Just remember at the end of the night you can't just get up and leave her in another country.
Oh - Yes you can!
Old 17-03-2011, 19:06   #22
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Oh - Yes you can!
With enough cash to go buy that lovely dress she saw....

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 19:13   #23

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrie View Post
Ok, time for a lady to chime in. First I must say I am taken. Do you have any idea how many lady sailors are looking for respectful sailing partners to have fun with. Why can't you find one in the good old USA. . . .
I know about a hundred single-handers over the last decade in the Caribbean who were looking for those women you mentioned and could not find any - anywhere. They could find some ladies in their fifth and sixth decade but finding anything younger is a non-starter. Of course, luck is a fickle mistress and you might win the lottery and find a woman, but I wouldn't hold my breathe waiting. Oh! that "respectful sailing partner" - I think translates to "keep your hands off me."
- - The "new" culture in the USA is rapidly becoming instant social non-contact gratification mixed with non-interruptable texting/talking/tweeting on their "ipads"/etc. Wandering off to the corners of the world were communications is done face to face with verbal language or one on one is not in their reality sphere. Getting out of sight of shopping malls, hair/nail saloons, etc. is also anathema to their lifestyle. Walking around the V.I.'s you will see most all the women with 2 cellphones, one in each hand and talking on at least one constantly. What hope have you of getting one of these lovelies on a cruising boat out of range of a cell system?
- - So specifically as to meeting women on vacation or otherwise, in local bars/watering holes, etc. is really an extremely long shot. Possible but not a sure thing by a long shot. In Culebra I watched as 2 and 3 men would "work" each woman at the bar and these were women close to being classified as Coyotes. Getting drunk helps lower the inhibitions and improves your chances of getting lucky. But it also lowers the blood pressure which is not a good thing in an older male looking for some action.
- - As far as trying to hit on women tourists in hotels, security is rather tight and you will most probably be helped to the door. The old Jimmy Buffet days are gone.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 19:17   #24

She came down from Cincinnati.
It took her three days on a train.
Lookin' for some peace and quiet;
hoped to see the sun again.
But now she lives down by the ocean.
She's takin' care to look for sharks.
They hang out in the local bars,
And they feed right after dark.

[Chorus:]
Can't you feel 'em circlin' honey?
Can't you feel 'em swimmin' around?
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

She's savin' up all of her money.
Wants to head south in May;
Maybe roll in the sand with a rock'n'roll man,
Somewhere down Montserrat way.
But the money's good in the season;
Helps to lighten her load.
Boys keep her high as the months go by.
She's gettin' postcards from the road.

[Chorus]

Sailed off to Antigua.
It took her three days on a boat.
Lookin' for some peace and quiet;
Maybe keep her dreams afloat.
But now she feels like a remora,
'cause the school's still close at hand.
Just behind the reef are the big white teeth
of the sharks that can swim on the land.

[Chorus]
Old 17-03-2011, 19:46   #25
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Go East young man... Orient Beach, St Martin French Side... should put a smile on your face if you get your months right...
Marigot and Cran Case have some nice music bars and its more like Island Time... pretty ladies as well and a tad more 'chic' than the brash VI crowd...
Excellent food and wine...
Never understand why folks rave about the place... its not that good..
But a dinghy ride to Dutch side will give you all the 'Brash' you want....

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 19:47   #26
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty.gregory View Post
... What I truely meant to ask is about meeting women on vacation or in bars,...... I don't want to buy anyone. And before you all say it, No, I don't want to rent anyone either. I really, truely was just asking about meeting single women that would go for a 55 year old pauncy stud-muffin similar to myself.
I am still kind of confused about what you are looking for.

Meeting women on vacation or in bars is similar to a blind date on Halloween night…. (you know that person is probably role playing…as are you and you both wake up the next morning feeling guilty about how much candy you ate).

Best that you relax, become a friendly open cruising tourist, that chats with the ladies at the supermarket, the bank and goes to local events to make friends.

If you meet someone mutually beddable, then that is a bonus!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 20:16   #27

Well the ? is relevant 4 many men & women. Are not some of both sides looking 4 same solution. Many women from dangerous ,bleak enviroments will probabably get out of town with anyone with the means to get them to a safer more comfortable enviroment. But that is a practical solution which may be enough 4 some. Do you want that something that makes you love ,honour and cherish to the end of time is another scenario. Does moving to a new location change anything, perhaps but I don't know.Getting the balance right is difficult and maybe moreso as you age..As a male that is older and became a type 2 diabetic a year ago needs are not the same anymore.I allways have had a couple of blokes who were like brothers to me and normal relations with girls Was not a run around guy but was never sucessfull in maintaining a long term .relationship with a women. Yet generaly it is easier for me to get along with girls. But now I can't see being able to offer any more than a platonic whatever with a girl . Any comments ladies
blgklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 20:24   #28

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch

Okay.

Dear great MODS in the virile sky--if you are truly out there-- I beseach you to end this post.
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 20:27   #29

Boat: Tartan 34C

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheroad View Post
I have one that you can take with you.
She is from Australia so just tell her thats where you are going.

I wont say anything.

Need some money?
Bravo! Best joke this century, but it's early.

John
Feral Cement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 21:01   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
They could find some ladies in their fifth and sixth decade but finding anything younger is a non-starter.
I'm not quite sure how meeting ladies who are in their fifth decade is a problem when your in the same decade?

I have dated numerous ladies in their 50's that look way better then one's that are younger... why? Healthy lifestyles and some genetics.

Look at the advantage of dating someone in their 50's or early 60's.... you know what they will look like when they get older.

Now, if your a 50 or 60 year old man and think you can still attract 30 year olds, think again. You probably have a daughter that age. Would she go out with someone your age? Would you want her too?
avb3 is offline   Reply With Quote