Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2012, 09:48   #31
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: I'm being outsmarted by a mouse!

For zee mouse zee war iz over

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:13   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post

that's not a mouse! it's a rat and looks post natal lol!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:38   #33

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Is it time for a burial at sea?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:49   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Woodward View Post
Get a trash can or bucket with smooth vertical walls, about 3'deep, and put food in the bottom. Place it where the mouse can jump in. Unless he is supermouse, he/she won't be able to jump out. What you do with him then is up to you.
This is actually great advice. This summer I cleaned out an area alongside the garage. I had a large plywood box holding misc teak trim pieces from past boatwork. Inside were 3 cute field mice. I let them crawl up the side of the plywood one at a time and they disappeared off the back side of the box. About a week later i was out there and there they were..... trapped in a 5 gal plastic bucket. two dead and one barely alive. I freed the one. They had all jumped from the box into the bucket to their demise.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:55   #35
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:

savage killer! Give me your real location; I'm going to report you!
Old 04-01-2012, 12:27   #36

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya
pirate Re: I'm being outsmarted by a mouse!

Quote:

Lunch is served.
S/V_Surya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:30   #37

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Cats(the four legged kind) create a great defense against mice. On our dairy farm we never fed our cats anything except a small amount of milk.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 16:08   #38
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
Cats(the four legged kind) create a great defense against mice. On our dairy farm we never fed our cats anything except a small amount of milk.
The only place on our dairy where the cats weren't allowed was in the feed room. There was a hole in the wall that Just happened to be snake-sized. Normally there was a large hog nosed snake in there. That snake was worth his weight in gold.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 16:20   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:

So it ends like so many before, the last dog watch for the brave, but out manned, mouse.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 18:46   #40

Boat: Wharram custom 44'

I had sailed up the ICW at night following a tug, trying to make Beaufort but it got too late so I tied up to an available dock.
I woke up and made an omelet and then a local biddy came around and made a fuss. The coast guard came around to investigate her call, but their comment was, "Crazy Squirrel", relating to the woman.
I sailed on and moored, went away to take care of business, returned, and what I found was distressing. Obviously there was a mouse on board and chewing everything into oblivion. My air mattresses were like swiss cheese. Paper, plastic, and then mouse feces, all effects of the onboard mouse.
I cleaned up and got the boat ready to sail up north. I sail 36 hours morning to following evening. Not that hard to do. In the middle of the night I noticed something moving on deck. It was the mouse. It darted around, and ran up to the bow. I grabbed a dinghy oar and followed it like I would smack it with a slap shot hockey stroke. But, it ran up the jib boom, which was impossible, and then I realized, the mouse was setting me up for an ill timed swipe at it, and then I would lose my balance and fall in and watch him sail away on my boat. I backed off. I then closed off any entry into the hull. The next day there was no evidence of the mouse, but I was carefully looking at any movement. I saw a glimpse of him off to the side from time to time. I had to work some strong broad reaching winds and ended up falling asleep at the helm and running aground on Assateague Island at 7 1/2 knots. That woke me up.
I had a bad time there, but eventually got off in the rising tide. I never found any new evidence of the mouse again, but of course his legacy continues with new discoveries in the bowels of the boat.
Perhaps he scampered off on Assateague Island, or maybe he fell into the sea. I'd like to think he awoke as I did when I hit the island, and he jumped overboard, as I did, and took a different tack.
kaimusailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:55   #41
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: I'm being outsmarted by a mouse !

maybe after running aground while sleeping the mouse decided it best to get off the boat
Old 05-01-2012, 05:58   #42
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
No.....

No!!!

Yes!

cheers,
Nick.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:03   #43

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
Re: I'm being outsmarted by a mouse !

The Holidays are over. My Christmas spirt is way behind me. We drove to Palm Coast to pick up the boat and found .....yes .... a mice mess. Now after a week of traps of every concievable design there remains at least one little creature left. I am ready to sink the boat just to get him. I have considered phosgeene gas, Perhaps borrowing some cats from behind the Winn Dixie except there are aparrently "Free range livestock" to the bums that live there.

My fingers are numb from copper colored metal spring loaded blows to my digits. The dog food is spilling onto the cabin floor from a mice sized hole in one of six bags. The shower sump spritzes when used from mice bites.
I am thinking of using siezing wire to make electricution fences in the bilge.

DOJ, your posted picture gives me hope in an otherwise bleak world.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:24   #44
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: I'm being outsmarted by a mouse !

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Antares View Post
The Holidays are over. My Christmas spirt is way behind me. We drove to Palm Coast to pick up the boat and found .....yes .... a mice mess. Now after a week of traps of every concievable design there remains at least one little creature left. I am ready to sink the boat just to get him. I have considered phosgeene gas, Perhaps borrowing some cats from behind the Winn Dixie except there are aparrently "Free range livestock" to the bums that live there.

My fingers are numb from copper colored metal spring loaded blows to my digits. The dog food is spilling onto the cabin floor from a mice sized hole in one of six bags. The shower sump spritzes when used from mice bites.
I am thinking of using siezing wire to make electricution fences in the bilge.

DOJ, your posted picture gives me hope in an otherwise bleak world.
What you need is a piece of ply 6" x 4"... cut a thin slot across the narrow part about halfway up and superglue an old fashioned razor blade into the slot... place it somewhere the mouse can only approach from one direction...
Next get a piece of nice cheese and put it behind the blade... mouse comes along.. smells the cheese and sticks his head over and steals it...
Repeat this several times a day for a few days then one day don't put any cheese there...
Mouse comes along.. sticks his head over and say's "What...? no Feckin Cheese.." whips his head right to left and cuts his throat in the process...
Does not work with 'Roaches'....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:08   #45
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Sheesh, that's nothing! Some years ago we met a retired LAPD chap who (after a few beers) admitted using a shotgun to kill a rat that had been plaguing him. He'd had more that a few beers at that time too, but his aim was good and the rat was essentially vaporized.

The mess wasn't too hard to clean up in this case... because he was below decks in his Columbia 26. The large hole in the hull that resulted admitted a cleansing flow of sea water, and the mess was likely gone before the boat hit the bottom.

The rat did not bother him again.

Cheers,

Jim
Apparently this guy never heard of ratshot! I worked in a shop here in Seattle on the ship canal that had a problem with huge norwegian wharf rats living in the lumber stacks. We kept a 22 loaded with ratshot or a pellet rifle in most corners of the shop. These rats were bold and super smart. We kept a scoreboard on the shop wall, and had a blast making all sorts of homemade traps in the shop. The rats were usually well ahead on the scoreboard. They are hard to shoot. These rats would freeze while you were drawing a bead on them, and then as your finger tightened on the trigger they'd take off in a flash. Like they were psychic. The best trap (read most Rube Goldbergian) was an electrified basin of water with a cheese island in the middle. The bridge was carefully designed to pivot at the right moment and drop the little bugger in the drink. We added the electrical current when a few escaped just the water.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote