Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-09-2012, 02:12   #1

Illuminate me.

After two years cruising on the east coast of Oz, I have a question. Why is it that just as the sun goes down (too late to move), the huge powerboat arrives with attendant music and general shouting. They pull into the middle of the already anchored boats, close to the beach, and turn on the floodlights. We all benefit from their afterglow.....
Is there some requirement I don't know about that powerboats dissipate some of the energy they are producing from their ever running motors? Are they afraid we won't see them if they just use an anchor light? Is this a sacred ritual.
Please enlighten me (again).

Old 13-09-2012, 02:38   #2
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'
Re: Illuminate me.

Err... just remember they don't even know you are there, as far as they can tell, the anchorage is empty

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 03:02   #3

Boat: Under Construction

The fact is they have little knowledge of where to anchor so they always pull up next to the nearest yacht and use your depth sounder saves working out how to use their`s.
Old 13-09-2012, 03:09   #4

Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeto View Post
After two years cruising on the east coast of Oz, I have a question. Why is it that just as the sun goes down (too late to move), the huge powerboat arrives with attendant music and general shouting. They pull into the middle of the already anchored boats, close to the beach, and turn on the floodlights. We all benefit from their afterglow.....
Is there some requirement I don't know about that powerboats dissipate some of the energy they are producing from their ever running motors? Are they afraid we won't see them if they just use an anchor light? Is this a sacred ritual.
Please enlighten me (again).
sounds as if you are in the Whitsundays.
Old 13-09-2012, 03:26   #5

Must be time to leave.
Old 13-09-2012, 03:26   #6

Yeah been here for 25 years arrived here by Boat and still have the bug, building a boat at the moment but allways have one at home to use.
Old 13-09-2012, 03:28   #7

No not yet have to complete both my projects then of for 2 years.
Old 13-09-2012, 07:03   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 37

and it is a worldwide phenomenon
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 09:07   #9

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Most power boats I've noticed don't like to spend much time away from the conveniences of "civilization". So, remote anchorages requiring good piloting skills, and ideally local knowledge, to enter tend to eliminate this issue.
Old 13-09-2012, 13:07   #10

Fair but true comment.
Old 13-09-2012, 13:12   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I always assumed it was the after effects of a full frontal lobotomy...

Then again maybe they're just a##holes...

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 14:51   #12

Boat: Peterson 46

A couple of seasons ago, we were quietly in Pearl Bay when about 4pm, I heard the rumble of big engines. Around the corner came 1, then 2, then 3, then 4 ~50' Riviera type things, all on the half plane. They came to the beach, one anchored, then used his megaphone to direct the other 3 to raft up.

The bikini clad dolly bird 'wives' crossed the duckboards to No:1, the silver haired foxes [guys] moved to No: 4 to drink beer. The 70's music was loud and bad and could probably be heard in Yeppoon.

Next someone realises the tide is falling and they are close to the beach - the whole process in reverse to up anchor and re-anchor and again the same scenario.

Now for about 2 more weeks as we moved up the coast, we would either hear these engines and the whole lot would motor in to the anchorage, creating a rotten wash times 4, or they would get there as we were about 20 minutes out, taking the best spot or all of the moorings.

I found later that year, as we were tied up in Breakwater marina that one of these Riviera things ran across salamander rocks, another touched a reef in the whitsundays and a third slipped off one of the slings as it was being lifted up at Breakwater. This one fell only about 4" but it was enough to crack something.

So that is some serious karma catching up with these clowns. The winner - not the insurers, but the repairers.
Old 13-09-2012, 15:27   #13

Would be really good to hear from a large powerboat sailor that indulges in this behaviour as to why they feel justified in inflicting all this on the general population. I guess they feel it's a free country so.....
Huge noisy boat made a tactical error yesterday. He arrived a bit early (5.30pm). It gave the other 6 boats ( one of which was another big powerboat) in the anchorage just enough time to up anchor and move (which all did). Power boat occupants found it hugely amusing. I think I will go with the Karma theory.
We have met many lovely people on powerboats. They have helped and befriended us.
But I have never been forced from an anchorage by a sailing boat!
Old 14-09-2012, 11:13   #14

Boat: OEM, proportional

Old 14-09-2012, 15:59   #15

Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusky View Post
A couple of seasons ago, we were quietly in Pearl Bay when about 4pm, I heard the rumble of big engines. Around the corner came 1, then 2, then 3, then 4 ~50' Riviera type things, all on the half plane. They came to the beach, one anchored, then used his megaphone to direct the other 3 to raft up.

The bikini clad dolly bird 'wives' crossed the duckboards to No:1, the silver haired foxes [guys] moved to No: 4 to drink beer. The 70's music was loud and bad and could probably be heard in Yeppoon.

Next someone realises the tide is falling and they are close to the beach - the whole process in reverse to up anchor and re-anchor and again the same scenario.

Now for about 2 more weeks as we moved up the coast, we would either hear these engines and the whole lot would motor in to the anchorage, creating a rotten wash times 4, or they would get there as we were about 20 minutes out, taking the best spot or all of the moorings.

I found later that year, as we were tied up in Breakwater marina that one of these Riviera things ran across salamander rocks, another touched a reef in the whitsundays and a third slipped off one of the slings as it was being lifted up at Breakwater. This one fell only about 4" but it was enough to crack something.

So that is some serious karma catching up with these clowns. The winner - not the insurers, but the repairers.

+2 I remember the Townsville issue.

Unfortunately powerboats don't have all the incompent skippers. Have been plenty of sailing mishaps also.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: