Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2013, 04:26   #1

If you had to Pick One - Captain Phillips or All is Lost?

Comments from those who have seen both-
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 22:17   #2

Boat: Hudson 50
Re: if you had to pick one - Captain Phillips or All is Lost??

I have to go with Captain Philips. It was exciting and I enjoyed watching it.

As for All is Lost. Redford is great but this movie made me angry. He made so many mistakes that I ended up yelling at him and had to turn the movie off several times and calm down before I could turn it on again. He had all kinds of safety equipment and spares but he was so slow re-acting and setting priorities for getting things back under control. I hope my girlfriend never sees this movie or we never go cruising!!!
Oceandeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 22:23   #3

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Oh... No contest.. All is lost...

Yes he made mistakes (it a movie)... but it had two underlying messages..
1. Cooler heads prevail. Panic has no place.
2. There is always one last thing to try.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 22:24   #4

Boat: Lagoon 400

Captian Phillip. Agree with Oceandeep.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
pathlesschosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 01:41   #5
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
if you had to pick one - Captain Phillips or All is Lost??

Capt Phil, all is lost was mind numbingly crap
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 03:14   #6

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

I think enjoying All is Lost is like drinking scotch. Those that don't like it do so with a passion.

I think AiL is a much better movie than Capt Phillips.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:32   #7

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceandeep View Post
I have to go with Captain Philips. It was exciting and I enjoyed watching it.

As for All is Lost. Redford is great but this movie made me angry.
Gotta agree with Oceandeep. I'm the kind of movie viewer who needs some shred of plausibility and realism to hang onto before I can totally suspend all disbelief. I found AiL a bit less plausible than Star Trek, and a lot less exciting. Capt P had some (albeit tenuous) link to reality, and kept me interested.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 05:35   #8

Boat: Cape Dory 33

I'll go with All is Lost.

According to the crew of Capt. Phillips vessel that movie was complete fiction, Captain Phillips was in real life arrogant and contributed to the situation by his disregard of safety precaution.

Besides, I can look at Bob Redford all day long, even when he's screwing up.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:56   #9

I'd go with Cap Ron...both were bad with far too many stupid things done.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:06   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

It's hard to watch a movie when you are familiar with the subject matter. You see all the things that are incorrect making the movie less and less interesting gradually withdrawing from it. Fictional movies like StarWars (sound in space for example) can get away with it and still be very entertaining because the whole premise of the movie is that it is fictional.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:28   #11
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

We all see things differently.

I see the two movies as two very different movies whose only common factor is that the action takes place on the sea.

When I watched ALL is Lost, I saw a story of a man faced with survival conditions and a "man against the sea" type of plot. In short, I enjoyed the movie much more than the Capt Phillips movie or other Hollywood movies such as "The Perfect Storm." The comments that follow are posted to give a few reasons why I consider it better as a film.

When I watched Capt Phillips movie, I saw Tom Hanks in a Hollywood movie that is really more about a captive/hostage relationship and the US Military response (bring in the big warships and SEAL team).

In the film ALL IS LOST, I see a story about an active man who must save himself and survive until the point where he comes in contact with another boat. In contrast, in the film Capt Phillips, I saw a much more passive man, and that man is saved by others (in what appears to be a US Navy Task Force).

I think ALL is LOST is a much better film for any sailor to see and a much better story (even if the person watching is not a sailor).

The film's title "All is Lost" is also a key to understanding the point of the film. As I see it, the film's message is that even when all appears lost, one must try to survive and never give up. I think THAT message is much better for people to see, rather than "call the Navy in to rescue me."

I also recognize that ALL IS LOST is a daring movie in the sense that it has only ONE character and almost no spoken words (i.e. no dialog) and no narration. That presents a challenge to the viewer. And, the action is slower paced. For these reasons and others, it is a film that is very different from the usual Hollywood action movie. I am surprised it was even made. But I admire the courage of the film maker for making it and can understand why it is admired by many film critics.

Some sailors complain about the perceived mistakes seen in All is Lost. From my point of view, that is part of the story and part of what makes it more interesting and "real." Real people make mistakes. Even highly experienced sailors make mistakes. Then some sailors have to deal with the consequences alone. I say "some" as many simply buy their way out of the consequences (e.g. by repairing or replacing broken gear, or by having insurance pay for the damages or loss) or they simply ignore the mistakes they make or blame others with "Did you see what that fool did?"

I have seen forum comments about All is Lost where sailors complain that they would never do some of the things Redford does in the movie. I find that understandable and also laughable. For I know that every sailor makes mistakes, but usually they do not admit them (if they even recognize them). IF there were a camera following each of us, I have no doubt that almost anything we do in our lives would be subject to harsh criticism if viewed in closeup detail by an audience who can freely criticize it based on their own rules, experience, or habits.

Part of the success of any drama is to get the audience to question what they would do IF they were in the same situation as the characters/actors. Put another way, getting the audience to ask themselves, "What would I do" or to reach some conclusion such as "I would have done it differently" is all part of making a drama and good story telling or film making. So, I think ALL IS LOST is a much better drama.

Redford's character is defined by his actions (and slower pacing is still a form of action and even "inaction" is still a matter of choice of action or not) rather than by dialog with another actor. And there is no other character in the film from which to judge the MAN (Redford's character) and no other characters to help the audience to feel "loss." Compare that with typical Hollywood films that have a love interest that is used in the movie to tug at our heart strings. For example, in Hanks' "Castaway" movie, he longed for his woman (and his lost Wilson) when he felt he lost her (and she was presented as his love in the early part of the movie). All is Lost does not use another character to portray "loss" and the Man is not seemingly distressed by his loss of his boat (something that would probably seem to be a great loss to most forum members). His stoic responses are more challenging to the audience. Redford's character is surviving for reasons other than to get back to his wife or kids or girlfriend. There is no sentimentality as was shown in the Castaway movie or the Capt Phillips movie.

Most importantly, the film's audience is forced to try to understand the MAN and what he is thinking (without any narration) and what he will do to survive. This requires a more active imagination (or more work) on the part of the audience. That is what the filmmaker creates with his scenario. Some will like that, some will not.
_________

I have a question for everyone:

Considering how each man responded to the challenges he faced (one fictional, one based on some documented account), "Which sailor (Redford/Man or Hanks/Phillips) would you rather sail with on a two-handed voyage across a sea?"
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 14:08   #12

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
We all see things differently.

I see the two movies as two very different movies whose only common factor is that the action takes place on the sea.

When I watched ALL is Lost, I saw a story of a man faced with survival conditions and a "man against the sea" type of plot. In short, I enjoyed the movie much more than the Capt Phillips movie or other Hollywood movies such as "The Perfect Storm." The comments that follow are posted to give a few reasons why I consider it better as a film.

When I watched Capt Phillips movie, I saw Tom Hanks in a Hollywood movie that is really more about a captive/hostage relationship and the US Military response (bring in the big warships and SEAL team).

In the film ALL IS LOST, I see a story about an active man who must save himself and survive until the point where he comes in contact with another boat. In contrast, in the film Capt Phillips, I saw a much more passive man, and that man is saved by others (in what appears to be a US Navy Task Force).

I think ALL is LOST is a much better film for any sailor to see and a much better story (even if the person watching is not a sailor).

The film's title "All is Lost" is also a key to understanding the point of the film. As I see it, the film's message is that even when all appears lost, one must try to survive and never give up. I think THAT message is much better for people to see, rather than "call the Navy in to rescue me."

I also recognize that ALL IS LOST is a daring movie in the sense that it has only ONE character and almost no spoken words (i.e. no dialog) and no narration. That presents a challenge to the viewer. And, the action is slower paced. For these reasons and others, it is a film that is very different from the usual Hollywood action movie. I am surprised it was even made. But I admire the courage of the film maker for making it and can understand why it is admired by many film critics.

Some sailors complain about the perceived mistakes seen in All is Lost. From my point of view, that is part of the story and part of what makes it more interesting and "real." Real people make mistakes. Even highly experienced sailors make mistakes. Then some sailors have to deal with the consequences alone. I say "some" as many simply buy their way out of the consequences (e.g. by repairing or replacing broken gear, or by having insurance pay for the damages or loss) or they simply ignore the mistakes they make or blame others with "Did you see what that fool did?"

I have seen forum comments about All is Lost where sailors complain that they would never do some of the things Redford does in the movie. I find that understandable and also laughable. For I know that every sailor makes mistakes, but usually they do not admit them (if they even recognize them). IF there were a camera following each of us, I have no doubt that almost anything we do in our lives would be subject to harsh criticism if viewed in closeup detail by an audience who can freely criticize it based on their own rules, experience, or habits.

Part of the success of any drama is to get the audience to question what they would do IF they were in the same situation as the characters/actors. Put another way, getting the audience to ask themselves, "What would I do" or to reach some conclusion such as "I would have done it differently" is all part of making a drama and good story telling or film making. So, I think ALL IS LOST is a much better drama.

Redford's character is defined by his actions (and slower pacing is still a form of action and even "inaction" is still a matter of choice of action or not) rather than by dialog with another actor. And there is no other character in the film from which to judge the MAN (Redford's character) and no other characters to help the audience to feel "loss." Compare that with typical Hollywood films that have a love interest that is used in the movie to tug at our heart strings. For example, in Hanks' "Castaway" movie, he longed for his woman (and his lost Wilson) when he felt he lost her (and she was presented as his love in the early part of the movie). All is Lost does not use another character to portray "loss" and the Man is not seemingly distressed by his loss of his boat (something that would probably seem to be a great loss to most forum members). His stoic responses are more challenging to the audience. Redford's character is surviving for reasons other than to get back to his wife or kids or girlfriend. There is no sentimentality as was shown in the Castaway movie or the Capt Phillips movie.

Most importantly, the film's audience is forced to try to understand the MAN and what he is thinking (without any narration) and what he will do to survive. This requires a more active imagination (or more work) on the part of the audience. That is what the filmmaker creates with his scenario. Some will like that, some will not.
_________

Considering how each man responded to the challenges he faced (one fictional, one based on some documented account), "Which sailor (Redford/Man or Hanks/Phillips) would you rather sail with on a two-handed voyage across a sea?"
Eloquently stated and very accurate from my perspective. And I would sail with Redford's character in a heartbeat, especially after I read the backstory of the real Captain Phillips. He was a loose cannon and not someone whose hands I would want my fate in.
Old 12-09-2014, 15:15   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post

I would definitely want Redford's character with me. Yeah, he made mistakes, but here's a sailor who patched his own boat while it was in the water and went up a mast by himself - wow! I would keep him away from the flares, though, if we ended up in a liferaft [emoji2] .
CaptTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 15:18   #14

Boat: Pearson 26

Maiden Trip (Laura Dekker documentary)
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 15:54   #15

All is lost just needed to be his thoughts as dialog, I felt I needed to know his thought process.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
captain, lost