Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2008, 12:24   #1
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If Only . . .

Today's Philadelphia newspapers, the Inquirer and the Daily News, are running ads for a new airline, Derrie-Air, that will charge passengers by the pound for the combined weight of their body and their luggage. Check it out:

Welcome to Derrie-Air, the world's only carbon-neutral luxury airline, where you don't have to choose between living the high life and saving the planet. Nine out of ten scientists agree—we need to reduce our carbon emissions or perish from the face of the earth. Air travel is one of the biggest sources of carbon emissions and global warming. Derrie-Air will be the only airline that plants trees to offset every pound of carbon that our planes release into the atmosphere.
But not only will we do our part to protect the environment, we will expect you, our passengers, to do your part as well. The magic comes from our one of a kind "Sliding Scale"—the more you weigh, the more you'll pay. After all, it takes more fuel—more energy—to get more weight from point A to point B. So we will charge passengers based on how much mass they add to the plane. The heavier you and your luggage are, the more trees we'll plant to make up for the trouble of flying you from place to place.

For the whole ad, go to:

Derrie-Air - Pack Less. Weigh Less. Pay Less.

If it seems too good to be true, well, you know the rest . . .

TaoJones
Old 06-06-2008, 13:22   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
It may all be fiction, but I like the idea. I'd be a customer for such an airline.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Old 06-06-2008, 13:44   #3

Wow! I used to wrestle at 119 lbs! But that was quite awhile ago, and well ....... never mind.
Old 06-06-2008, 14:00   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion View Post
Wow! I used to wrestle at 119 lbs! But that was quite awhile ago, and well ....... never mind.
I wrestled my freshman year at 98 lbs. They don't even have a weight class that low anymore... Now, well.. i've doubled it.. My son wrestles 119 lbs and I can't believe I was ever that small.

Oh, as far as the airline. I'll diet then buy my ticket...

sorry about the thread jack.
Old 06-06-2008, 14:10   #5

My son wrestled at 130. The 98 lb class still exists for Junior Nationals - a tournament which didn't exist when I was in high school/college. Please tell your son that I said 119 lbs is by far the most important weight class -I'm sure he'll be impressed. Gotta bulk up to 125 to wrestle in college now - I think it's a plot by Derrie-Air (see, we're back on track).
Old 06-06-2008, 14:13   #6
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesee View Post
I wrestled my freshman year at 98 lbs. They don't even have a weight class that low anymore... Now, well.. i've doubled it.. My son wrestles 119 lbs and I can't believe I was ever that small.

Oh, as far as the airline. I'll diet then buy my ticket...

sorry about the thread jack.
No problem, Jonesee . . . I put it up so that people could have a good time with it.

BTW, when I was in seventh grade I wrestled in the lightest weight class - 75 lbs.! The really pathetic part about that? I only weighed 65 lbs. - but the wrestling coach, a good ol' boy from Oklahoma, told everybody that "Jacks," as he called me, was "tuff'er 'n calf rope."

I suppose that did make me feel about ten pounds heavier.

TaoJones
Old 12-06-2008, 00:37   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Just a reminder, as the rules require, please keep the "Off Topic" topics related to boating.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Closed Thread