Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2012, 03:52   #16
Armchair Bucketeer
 
David_Old_Jersey's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,013
Images: 4
Re: I just shake my head at this stuff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
Do you think this incident will help promote the professionalism of this company to future clients....?? or do you think they may have missed a golden opportunity to show that when duty calls it will be life before litigation...??

Personally i think they have made an absolute balls up of a buisiness decision, i wouldn't be surprised to find out they are chasing a good PR company to wipe the crap of their face as we speak.

I have been watching the news of this here in Australia, and to say the comments re the incident (and the company) are damming is putting it lightly....


As I said, damned if they do - damned if they don't.

If they hadn't fired him then the next time it happened and things went wrong (esp. on the unguarded beach) - then first step would be for the Company / Directors? / Owners? to get butts sued, which doesn't matter(?) if the Insurance company stands behind them and the Company has SFA better to do than spend time in court. Depending on the size of the company that could be an end of game event. Or maybe even the City / State they contracted to would use the event as an excuse to terminate the contract. Folks will lose livelihoods as well as Owners losing money - all for no fault of their own. It's the system innit .

Perhaps sounds harsh, but if it was a choice between saving a stranger from a burning building (or the water) and me risking losing my livelihood then all I can say is that the Stranger better have f#cking big tits, and be gagging for it - and then still only a maybe. I've known people who have died over less money. Give me the rules and I will play by them - no matter how dumb they are or that they have unintended consequences.
__________________

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:04   #17
Moderator Emeritus
 
Coops's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern NSW.Australia
Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Posts: 9,550
Re: I just shake my head at this stuff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
all I can say is that the Stranger better have f#cking big tits, and be gagging for it - and then still only a maybe.
You are such a romantic, good sir.

Coops.
__________________

__________________
When somebody told me that I was delusional, I almost fell off of my unicorn.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:30   #18
Armchair Bucketeer
 
David_Old_Jersey's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,013
Images: 4
Re: I just shake my head at this stuff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
You are such a romantic, good sir.

Coops.
I have me moments
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:32   #19
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 793
Re: I just shake my head at this stuff...

I don't think the problem is bureaucracy, but rather our tort system in the US. It's all driven by fear of getting sued, and policies that attempt to dodge all the dumb-ass things that people have been sued over before. As JayCall points out, if the guy had not responded they would probably get sued. If the victim doesn't make it or has brain damage, they will get sued. They will definitely get sued for wrongful termination of the lifeguard. And what if someone inside the "covered area" got in trouble while Jonney-be-Good was helping the guy outside? Law suit. We've become a country governed by liability lawsuits, not by laws, and certainly not by common sense. Sigh!
__________________
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:43   #20
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fethiye Turkey
Boat: Lagoon 440
Posts: 3,164
Re: I just shake my head at this stuff...

And thats the difference between me and thee, i'd always opt for saving some person than consider the job, jobs are nothing life is everything....... It's a no brainer.
__________________
"Political correctness is a creeping sickness that knows no boundaries"
Lagoon4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:55   #21
Senior Cruiser
 
IslandHopper's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bundaberg Queensland/Lake Bolac Victoria, Australia
Boat: 45ft Ketch
Posts: 1,202
Re: I just shake my head at this stuff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
As I said, damned if they do - damned if they don't.

If they hadn't fired him then the next time it happened and things went wrong (esp. on the unguarded beach) - then first step would be for the Company / Directors? / Owners? to get butts sued, which doesn't matter(?) if the Insurance company stands behind them and the Company has SFA better to do than spend time in court. Depending on the size of the company that could be an end of game event. Or maybe even the City / State they contracted to would use the event as an excuse to terminate the contract. Folks will lose livelihoods as well as Owners losing money - all for no fault of their own. It's the system innit .

Perhaps sounds harsh, but if it was a choice between saving a stranger from a burning building (or the water) and me risking losing my livelihood then all I can say is that the Stranger better have f#cking big tits, and be gagging for it - and then still only a maybe. I've known people who have died over less money. Give me the rules and I will play by them - no matter how dumb they are or that they have unintended consequences.
Seriously DOJ, you just don't have a clue.......
__________________
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:56   #22
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne Australia
Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825
Posts: 1,616
Re: I just shake my head at this stuff...

I just love it, when people put the almighty dollar ahead of some ones life,

Thats been discussed on here too, In other threads.

How much does it cost to rescue some one at sea,
__________________
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:13   #23
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fethiye Turkey
Boat: Lagoon 440
Posts: 3,164
Re: I just shake my head at this stuff...

quote#Give me the rules and I will play by them - no matter how dumb they are or that they have unintended consequences.

You have to be joking or simply trying to inspire some keyboard entertainment for your day?

This has to be the dumbest statement on this forum for some time.... Why did you get banned from the other forum 3 times?? Bahaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!

Play by rules no DOJ not you!
__________________
"Political correctness is a creeping sickness that knows no boundaries"
Lagoon4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:22   #24
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 31,587
Images: 240
Re: I just shake my head at this stuff...

Please, let's not get personal.
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:46   #25
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Australia NSW south coast
Posts: 633
Re: I just shake my head at this stuff...

As for the area he was patrolling being unprotected, does that mean he alone was responsible for all the beach goes in his area? for $8 an hr? Are they for real? Hopefully this good guy will sue this company for wrongful dismissal and get a decent pay..... Do people in the US really do this sort of work for $8 an hr? I couldn't even get a trade assistant for under $15 an hr and I have to guarantee them 8 hrs pay and that was 12 yrs ago.

T1 Terry
__________________
T1 Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:55   #26
Senior Cruiser
 
Blue Stocking's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: St. Georges, Bda
Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Posts: 4,117
Re: I just shake my head at this stuff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
Seriously DOJ, you just don't have a clue.......
Actually--he does have a clue. Watch any 1/2 hr news telecast and see that " end justifies the meens" corporate mentality at work every day.
It espouses that the shareholders are the most important people in the world.
SAD ---unless you are a shareholder.
__________________
so many projects--so little time !!
Blue Stocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:58   #27
Senior Cruiser
 
Blue Stocking's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: St. Georges, Bda
Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Posts: 4,117
Re: I just shake my head at this stuff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1 Terry View Post
As for the area he was patrolling being unprotected, does that mean he alone was responsible for all the beach goes in his area? for $8 an hr? Are they for real? Hopefully this good guy will sue this company for wrongful dismissal and get a decent pay..... Do people in the US really do this sort of work for $8 an hr? I couldn't even get a trade assistant for under $15 an hr and I have to guarantee them 8 hrs pay and that was 12 yrs ago.

T1 Terry
Every Americans favourite daughter--SUE.
__________________
so many projects--so little time !!
Blue Stocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:14   #28
Senior Cruiser
 
IslandHopper's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bundaberg Queensland/Lake Bolac Victoria, Australia
Boat: 45ft Ketch
Posts: 1,202
Re: I just shake my head at this stuff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
Actually--he does have a clue. Watch any 1/2 hr news telecast and see that " end justifies the meens" corporate mentality at work every day.
It espouses that the shareholders are the most important people in the world.
SAD ---unless you are a shareholder.
Do you think i live under a rock or something ??

Maybe i should have isolated the offending statement as it seems a few have difficulty in getting it.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Perhaps sounds harsh, but if it was a choice between saving a stranger from a burning building (or the water) and me risking losing my livelihood then all I can say is that the Stranger better have f#cking big tits, and be gagging for it - and then still only a maybe. I've known people who have died over less money. Give me the rules and I will play by them - no matter how dumb they are or that they have unintended consequences.
.....anyone with this philosophy in life would have no place on my ship or the ship of anyone i know.....piss poor values and quite obviously someone who could not be depended on........nothing more than a liability!
__________________
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:16   #29
Registered User
 
Katiusha's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 800
Re: I just shake my head at this stuff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1 Terry View Post
As for the area he was patrolling being unprotected, does that mean he alone was responsible for all the beach goes in his area? for $8 an hr? Are they for real? Hopefully this good guy will sue this company for wrongful dismissal and get a decent pay..... Do people in the US really do this sort of work for $8 an hr? I couldn't even get a trade assistant for under $15 an hr and I have to guarantee them 8 hrs pay and that was 12 yrs ago.

T1 Terry
A good example of difference between North American and Australian waves, salaries, and... prices
__________________
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:30   #30
Senior Cruiser
 
Blue Stocking's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: St. Georges, Bda
Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Posts: 4,117
Re: I just shake my head at this stuff...

[QUOTE=IslandHopper;983947]Do you think i live under a rock or something ??

.I think you missed my meaning on this. Sorry.
Having served in the Fire Service for 17 yrs, and having required medical treatment 3 times (once for 3 days), I know personally what it feels like to have not saved 3 souls.
__________________

__________________
so many projects--so little time !!
Blue Stocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
head

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:35.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.