Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2013, 09:31   #31

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50
Re: I ain't no expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post
Nice Quote. I like that one.
The admiral has this in her office, with some small adjustments: or as she refers to it, "corrections
"
"The man who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the woman doing it."
Old 06-01-2013, 09:35   #32

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Don,
Usually by the third page the right answer is in there somewhere. So we need all the experts possible to solve the problems out there. Surely a lot of the hired boat mechanics can't (excluding a few here).

Besides most of the time the OP doesn't give enough info to really know what the problem is. So it's all a guess until more info comes in.

What I luv is when an OP asks a question and then disappears, and then the CF members start arguing among themselves for many pages.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:35   #33

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Remember, experts designed, built, and operated the Titanic.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:40   #34

Boat: Cabo Rico
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Leave the engine on for half an hour instead of 15 minutes. Get the oil real hot and it comes out easier! I saved 3/4 of the time I normally spend on sucking that crap out.:
Well, I learned something
Old 06-01-2013, 09:49   #35
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
I must be an expert. I've been round the world. But this morning I was doing one of my least favorite tasks, changing the oil with a hand pump (I can't afford the $95 lickerty-split one from West marine) and I found an easier way! Leave the engine on for half an hour instead of 15 minutes. Get the oil real hot and it comes out easier! I saved 3/4 of the time I normally spend on sucking that crap out.
On a similar topic something I read last year but haven't tried yet, is to remove the oil fill cap while sucking out the oil.

I wish I had spend the extra $25 for the lickerty-split unit to start with! Even a dumb real expert would have known better!
Old 06-01-2013, 10:22   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I am an expert at identifying the bullshitters.

(PS - What's an expert?)
Old 06-01-2013, 10:26   #37

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

[QUOTE=Ex-Calif;1123145]I am an expert at identifying the bullshitters.

(PS - What's an expert?)

Old 06-01-2013, 11:01   #38

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Quote:
So when an opinon pops out of me (rarely!)r
You say rarely, but your post number, nearly 7600 post's in 5 years says something else. When you you find time to change the oil, or for that mater run the engine?
Old 06-01-2013, 11:06   #39

Boat: Looking...

I learn something every time I look at CF.

But I've been around the block enough to recognize that the more I learn, the less I know.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:23   #40

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
I recently let myself get in too deep in a thread yesterday. I wish to make it clear, I ain't no expert! And I mean I'm not an expert in anything or any topic!(...)
But that's OK I think. I am no expert either.

Here:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ork&page=rules

they say nothing about here being an experts' forum.

;-)
b.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:26   #41

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Thank God I'm NOT an expert on sanding, varnishing, and head unclogging.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:33   #42
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
You say rarely, but your post number, nearly 7600 post's in 5 years says something else. When you you find time to change the oil, or for that mater run the engine?
Maybe when you go cruisng you will find out.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 06-01-2013, 11:39   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Expert! Not me, i am just happily useless, at more or less everything. But, that has never stopped me from voicing my opinion on any subject, so have to figure that there are more like me out there.

Because it is in black and white does not make it irrefutable, neither here, on Wikipedia or any other publication where folks with ideas and ego's contribute. But don't, whatever you do, stop posting, otherwise i will have nobody to fake it to.

Coops.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:57   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
I recently let myself get in too deep in a thread yesterday. I wish to make it clear, I ain't no expert! And I mean I'm not an expert in anything or any topic!

I'm just someone with a boat who went down the normal learning curve. Have no special training, haven't read a bunch of technical books, haven't crossed the ocean 6 times in a storm, only been sailing 5 years, etc etc.

I have a whole thread admitting this if you search for it.

I'm just someone with my own opinions and beliefs formed from my own experiences and either reinforced or dispelled by things I read on places like Cruisers Forum. I may be correct and then I may be wrong. I may toe the line of the group position or I may believe it is just outdated crap. I don't accept the "everybody knows that" type of things as given true boat facts.

I'm sure most people understand this about me, but I suddenly feel the need to protect a few from me! So please beware.

There are a few CF people that I believe are pretty good experts in a given topic., but I could even be wrong about this. But I don't feel there are as many as you may believe and a lot of "experts" will try to trick you with a long technical posting that they just read somewhere else.

So for any other "non-experts" here that feel like outing yourself feel free to post as such.
Nice post, Don. Don't sell yourself short. You rarely say anything stupid and you ask a lot of smart questions. Asking a good question is just about as valuable a contribution as can possibly be made around here.

A really important thing to remember is that we are all amateurs here, with very few exceptions. What does it mean, to be an amateur? It's not a dirty word, on the contrary. An amateur is someone who does something because he loves it, not because he needs to to make money. So since we (most of us) don't have a formal education in all of the different trades and crafts and sciences which make up our sport, we have to learn it ourselves, on our own time. For me that's possibly the most attractive thing about this sport -- there's so much to learn, and the more your learn, the more you find out there's more to learn. I love it. And very much of what we do on CF is to learn from each other -- ask questions and try to get the knowledge of others, and help others with what we've already managed to learn. Some people, of course, human nature being what it is, just want to blather on and hear themselves talk, and sometimes gives lectures on subjects they don't actually know anything about. Well, we all have BS meters for that; it just goes with the territory.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:02   #45

Take it from an expert. The more you know, the more you realize how little you know.
Closed Thread