Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2007, 23:29   #1

Boat: 1977 Cape Dory 27 #58
How's the fishing out there?

I'm curious about fishing while cruising. Do many of you do this? Is the fishing good? I assume it depends on where you're at. How about on some of the longer passages? Is it possible to obtain a large portion of your diet on seafood alone? How about crabbing? Is there a way to have an on board garden of some sort? or even a trailer garden. I'm just thinking along the lines of self sustainable cruising... Is it possible to be completely self sustainable on the sea and still remain relatively comfortable? Any thoughts, input, or experience you could share on any of these topics would be much appreciated.
1977 Cape Dory 27 #58
blove8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 02:48   #2
cnj

Boat: Fontain Pejot Tobago 35 Cat Alee
Fishing depends on where you are. We never had much luck when we were off shore and the fish tend to be too big - unless you have a freezer you're going to waste most of it. While along the shore, crabbing, clamming, etc usually aren't bad but you don't know where the good spots are. As far as gardening on board it can be done but many countries are very particular about what's brought in- you could end up havingto get rid of the plants to be allowed in to some countries.
cnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 04:41   #3

Fishing is for people who are afraid to get in the water!
But seriously, I've always found it a lot more effective and enjoyable to swim the clear cruising waters and search for fish, lobster, crabs, etc. than to dangle a line and hope some random fish comes after the bait. Trolling in blue water is a different matter. Living off the sea is still fairly easy to do in most places, although some governments prefer that you don't.
We never found the gardening onboard to be a very fruitful endeavor. We blamed it on the salt air, but I'm not so good at growing things on land either. In most places fruits and vegetables and herbs are cheap and easy to find because that's what most locals consume.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:16   #4

Boat: Alura 30
I am always trolling while sailing. I have 3 fishing lines behind our cat,with different lures,we catch Mackerel,Mahi,even little tunas depending on where we are.Once I caught enough for one or two days I will stop fishing because we can't keep the fish for too long.It is a lot of fun....JC.
jean1146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 05:40   #5

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Pretty good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fish2.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	1954  
Old 11-10-2007, 05:50   #6

Boat: Alura 30
Nice Mahi Rick! lots of blood too....
JC.
jean1146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 05:53   #7

I gotta admit I didn't catch it. My buddy on "Watermusic" did. I did eat lots of it though.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:26   #8

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
I have caught many tasty fish off sailboats. We stopped on a very still day on the way from NC to BVI to add fuel from the deck jerrys and before we could finish there were a dozen Mahi under the boat. You can catch them on bare hooks when they are "on the bite". Look for large sargasso weed patches and you will have plenty of fresh fish.

Will

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2007, 00:06   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnj View Post
Fishing depends on where you are. We never had much luck when we were off shore and the fish tend to be too big - unless you have a freezer you're going to waste most of it. While along the shore, crabbing, clamming, etc usually aren't bad but you don't know where the good spots are. As far as gardening on board it can be done but many countries are very particular about what's brought in- you could end up havingto get rid of the plants to be allowed in to some countries.
thanks for the reply cnj. heaps of good info.. interesting about plants in different countries.. i wouldn't have thought of that. is the middle of the ocean no mans land or does every piece of it belong to someone?
1977 Cape Dory 27 #58
Old 14-10-2007, 00:12   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishspearit View Post
Fishing is for people who are afraid to get in the water!
But seriously, I've always found it a lot more effective and enjoyable to swim the clear cruising waters and search for fish, lobster, crabs, etc. than to dangle a line and hope some random fish comes after the bait. Trolling in blue water is a different matter. Living off the sea is still fairly easy to do in most places, although some governments prefer that you don't.
We never found the gardening onboard to be a very fruitful endeavor. We blamed it on the salt air, but I'm not so good at growing things on land either. In most places fruits and vegetables and herbs are cheap and easy to find because that's what most locals consume.
I dig it Fishspearit... Seems like hunting while swimming along with them is much more sporting as well. Living off of the sea completely is fairly easy?
1977 Cape Dory 27 #58
Old 14-10-2007, 00:14   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Antares View Post
I have caught many tasty fish off sailboats. We stopped on a very still day on the way from NC to BVI to add fuel from the deck jerrys and before we could finish there were a dozen Mahi under the boat. You can catch them on bare hooks when they are "on the bite". Look for large sargasso weed patches and you will have plenty of fresh fish.

Will
Thanks for the tips Will... and thanks everyone for contributing to this thread.
1977 Cape Dory 27 #58
Old 14-10-2007, 06:36   #12

Watch where you fish. here's the story of a couple of cruisers in their Mainship trawler which is reported as an "unlicensed fishing boat". Take care in BVI.
BVI News as it happens. Trustworthy. Reliable. Fast.

Tags
fishing