Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2014, 12:55   #1

How to sneak into beach resorts

I was in Grenada last week and spent quite a bit of time at Grand Anse beach. Some serious rain started one afternoon, and my gf and I darted into the Radisson to shower and hang out for a bit. Nobody asked us to leave, which probably wasn't all that strange, but it probably helped that we coincidentally had the same navy blue and turquoise towels that the resort provides to its guests. We spent some money at the bar and were behaving ourselves so I didn't really feel bad about using their shower and hanging out at the pool for awhile.

It got me thinking though, are there any good tricks or resources out there for appearing like a paying resort guest? Having towels that match the hotel towels seems like a good way to fit in and I figure there have to be other ideas floating around amongst other CFers.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:59   #2

Re: How to sneak into beach resorts

Isn't that called theft?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 05-01-2014, 13:08   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Isn't that called theft?
We didn't cost them any money and spent money on food and drinks at their bar. Relax.
Old 05-01-2014, 13:10   #4

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
It got me thinking though, are there any good tricks or resources out there for appearing like a paying resort guest? .
Yes. Ask up front if you can come in for a small fee.

Ayn Rand
Old 05-01-2014, 13:11   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Wow, can't think of a better way to give cruisers a bad name, except maybe to take all the toilet paper and maybe some silver ware to
Old 05-01-2014, 13:11   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Depends where you are. The exclusive places tag guests with colored armbands (and bar-codes) identifying guests and their all-inclusive privileges. We were invited to share a suit with friends at Hard Rock in Punta Cana DR a month ago. We had the special black armbands identifying us as members of the KMA club. Access to all pools, spas, clubs, bars restaurants, shows - no pay, no tips; unlimited booze & top shelf; butler & chauffeur included. It was fun for a week but not the way I want to live. I did do a lot of 'bird watching' It took me another two weeks to get my eyeballs back in the sockets. . Some photographer did a photo shoot with four top supermodels. I found myself standing between them at a pool bar. That will have to be enough. Life complete.

I think that if you show up on a beach with open access along a public road such as the big hotels on Key Biscayne you could probably blend right in.

I seem to remember a saying, "better to ask forgiveness than permission"
Old 05-01-2014, 13:21   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Wow, can't think of a better way to give cruisers a bad name, except maybe to take all the toilet paper and maybe some silver ware to
I was talking more along the lines of rinsing off in the shower after a day of getting sweaty and salty at the beach or a place to sit to avoid the rain.
Old 05-01-2014, 13:57   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

It really depends on the place. Pay as you go don't care, and most of them are open to the public because they know you are spending money there and that's fine. The all inclusives will get really pissed really fast. Sandles is notorious for calling the cops on people who use their facilities without being guests.

Even Sandles however has a pretty reasonable day rate for access. In Jamaica it is $25/day/person, which gets you free run of the place. Since you were buying drinks I doubt it was an all inclusive, so no worries, just be good guests.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Old 05-01-2014, 14:02   #9

Quote:
It got me thinking though, are there any good tricks or resources out there for appearing like a paying resort guest?
Absolutely.
- be white and either untanned, or burnt
- wear new, inappropriate clothing
- move awkwardly, look a little bit scared

Remember, resort staff are trained to recognise that over-tanned, lean, beef-jerky look that seasoned cruisers inevitably develop, as well as the pronounced smile lines, slight weaving stagger, easy-going drawl and the well-worn, slightly frayed clothing.

It's my experience too that most beach resorts have a day-use fee, which gives one access to all the onsite amenities - pools, change-rooms, gyms, tennis courts, use of water-toys - paddleboards/kayaks/windsurfers/Hobies/etc (as if you haven't done enough of that already)

If you're just jumping into their outdoor shower before patronising their bar or restaurant, I wouldn't give it a second thought. More than that... is kind of skeevy, don't you think? Especially since the locals would receive a beating or worse for doing the same.

I do think that many would let you shower etc if you just ask, and they know you will be patronizing the restaurant.
Old 05-01-2014, 14:08   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

What we noticed was that the standard guy was 30 to 60, paunchy and pale. The standard lady on his arm was 19 to 30, tan, and hot as could be. The men looked wealthy and the women looked high maintenance & hot. This is the bar you must strive for young Padawan.
Old 05-01-2014, 14:25   #11

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Jeeze some people😛 you bought drinks etc. Makes you a customer. I wouldnt sweat it you were polite respectful. Besides those places charge not only room charges but resort fees as well. Tip the staff well ..
A few of the better places in the keys let you enjoy the grounds if you are buying food or drink,,, but wait Im hearing the footsteps of the righteous right behind me...

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 05-01-2014, 14:50   #12

Might I suggest you rob elderly woman of their purses while not on vacation so you can afford to pay the fees that the rest of us pay?
Old 05-01-2014, 14:56   #13
cruiser

Had to be a few naysayers.
Old 05-01-2014, 14:56   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmcntsh View Post
Might I suggest you rob elderly woman of their purses while not on vacation so you can afford to pay the fees that the rest of us pay?
You've never used a restroom at a restaurant you weren't eating at or parked your car in a reserved spot for 2 minutes to use an ATM?
Old 05-01-2014, 14:57   #15
cruiser

Is it unacceptable to wash my duck and wrap him in a stolen towel?
Closed Thread