Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2010, 02:11   #16

WHat about a gift (wine/chocs/food) on arrival and a simple "thanks - we had a great day" with a pat on the shoulder or a handshake as you leave? There's nothing like looking someone in the eye and saying "Thanks".
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 03:52   #17
CLOD

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
I like dinner................with beer.

I don't really get the above that offen and have to take my wife and myself out instead.

But, really all I want is for them to say thank you and that they had a good time. If they of course say that I'm GREAT it helps.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 06:12   #18

Boat: Camano Troll
Quote:
But, really all I want is for them to say thank you and that they had a good time.
That works for me. If I didn't want to take them out on the boat, I wouldn't have invited them. If they invite me out to dinner later, I won't turn them down, but it's not expected. As far as cleaning the boat, if they are not boaters, it might be more trouble than it's worth.

As for wine, beer, etc., as someone who was told by his doctor to quit drinking if he wanted to stick around and enjoy life, find out about these things before you give alcohol as a gift.
Old 16-07-2010, 07:03   #19

Boat: Endeavour 37
If invited as a crew member, simply performing the assigned tasks with a good attitude is thanks enough. Crews that jump off the boat as soon as she's docked without ensuring everything is put away don't get invited back. If invited as a guest, a simple contribution of food or drink is nice, but not necessarily expected. However, a sincere "thank you" is expected.
pjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 08:06   #20

Boat: Coronado 25
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleHeadMd
I supply wine or rum, and an offer of labor. Food on longer voyages, and gratitude on all voyages.

When I have guests, all I expect is a good attitude, a little labor and some courtesy.
Old 20-07-2010, 16:07   #21
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
I keep waiting for someone to say "Thanks, that was a lot of fun. Let me buy you a new generator."

For some reason, no one has said that, yet...

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 16:43   #22

Boat: St. Francis 43 Brisa
Actually I really like taking people ( most people ) sailing and a sincere thanks a lot afterwards is plenty for me. I always invite the people that do the dishes / clean up a little after themselves and I must say ... once I had broken my magic beer bottle opener on some pirate somewhere......one of the guests sent me a shinny fancy new one .... Very nice gesture... I guess if you go sailing be a little observant and you could probably find the perfect little thank you on most boats!
sailingaway221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 16:52   #23

Boat: private yacht always moving
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacust View Post
I keep waiting for someone to say "Thanks, that was a lot of fun. Let me buy you a new generator."

For some reason, no one has said that, yet...

-dan
You must keep asking the wrong people to go sailing,,,I asked the person who took me out sailing last week what I could do for him for a thank you,,, he mentioned that he would love a new sailboat,,,, so I purchased one for him,,,,,, delivered it last night,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,his fault for not specifying the size,,,,,hope he did not mind the matchbox size one,,, all I could afford
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 17:03   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjop View Post
If invited as a crew member, simply performing the assigned tasks with a good attitude is thanks enough. Crews that jump off the boat as soon as she's docked without ensuring everything is put away don't get invited back. If invited as a guest, a simple contribution of food or drink is nice, but not necessarily expected. However, a sincere "thank you" is expected.
Yep. If you're invited because of your sailing skill, that's where the most value comes in. Sit there, do what your told, offer suggestions rarely and do so only in a polite and respectful way. Don't ever start a sentence with "well what I do is..." unless specifically asked what you do.

Even if someone is doing something "wrong", I'll basically help them do it that way unless it's seriously going to put the vessel or lives in real danger. When I'm in charge, I have enough on my plate past hearing someone lecture me on mid versus stern springline tension when I'm docking.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 04:02   #25
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I like to make life easy for any new crew by pointing out that the Skipper's wife just lurves Galaxy chocolate. Any type (except Bounty), so long as it's made by Galaxy!!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 04:47   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
I was a guest on a 10-day cruise last year on someone's fabulous superyacht size Swan. I bought a couple of carloads of provisions and booze, and bought the owner a nice box of Cuban cigars (we were not in the US). I also worked like hell, cleaned, cooked, washed dishes, straightened lines, helped the professional crew repair a broken fuel injection line, helmed (10 hours once with no autopilot bashing into a 25 knot wind), took the 04:00 watch, etc., taking great pleasure in all of it. I don't think he expected anything in particular but I know how much it costs him to keep that boat and I thought it was the least I could do.

I frequently bring guests, both business guests and personal guests out sailing for long weekends. Typically guests will never let me buy a meal when we eat shoreside, sometimes pay marina fees for me, and always bring bottles. I never expect anything in particular, and honestly having guests is a great excuse to go out, so I am grateful to them probably as much as they are to me. But in any case I am always happy when people have enjoyed being on board and show it in whatever way they feel appropriate.

So I think there are no particular rules.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 05:56   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473
Heres not what to do, happened to me a couple of monthsd ago. This was someone with a RYA Coastal Skippers ticket
Arrivwe at boat, dump gear onboard, and then say you need to go back home, but your close by, be back in 30 mins max. Two hours later, arrive back at boat.
Arrive at a dock, tie on fenders with special slippery knot so they all dropped off when boat came alongside, (and this was coming alongside a small tug with tyre fenders, keeping my fenders in place was quite important)
When making cups of tea, leave discarded tea bags on white counter top in order to create a nice tannin colour.
Furler goes tight, fix by winching as hard as you can, break halyard, open up top of forestay wire
Last day of cruise, state you need to go home, pick up car and return for your gear, but I'll be back in 30 mins. max (heard that one before). Arrive back 3 hrs later, what a shame, missed the cleaning and tidy up.
Tell owner you had a great time, cant wait to do it again
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 12:23   #28
CLOD

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
Heres not what to do, happened to me a couple of monthsd ago. This was someone with a RYA Coastal Skippers ticket
Arrivwe at boat, dump gear onboard, and then say you need to go back home, but your close by, be back in 30 mins max. Two hours later, arrive back at boat.
Arrive at a dock, tie on fenders with special slippery knot so they all dropped off when boat came alongside, (and this was coming alongside a small tug with tyre fenders, keeping my fenders in place was quite important)
When making cups of tea, leave discarded tea bags on white counter top in order to create a nice tannin colour.
Furler goes tight, fix by winching as hard as you can, break halyard, open up top of forestay wire
Last day of cruise, state you need to go home, pick up car and return for your gear, but I'll be back in 30 mins. max (heard that one before). Arrive back 3 hrs later, what a shame, missed the cleaning and tidy up.
Tell owner you had a great time, cant wait to do it again
I've never been a guest on some else's boat. But if I ever am I hope it's on yours as it sounds like being a guest is really great.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 12:52   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
I've never been a guest on some else's boat. But if I ever am I hope it's on yours as it sounds like being a guest is really great.
LOL! Let's descend on Nigel's boat sometime. I've got some teabags . . . and a bottle of rum . . .
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 13:06   #30
Armchair Bucketeer

I was wondering why I hadn't been invited back yet
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote