Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2013, 09:25   #1

Boat: O'Day 28
How to be an Environmental Steward?

Just weathered a T/S with another member about how oldsters have left youngsters with a crappier world than we had. I don't argue the point but rather I wonder what we could have done better? What can the younger folks do to be more effective than we were?

While this is an international forum, I suspect the same problems are worldwide:
Special interests throw money at politicians who do their bidding to the detriment of everyone else. It seems in the US, at least, it's much too hard to get rid of the scoundrels in office.

We go to prison if we shoot the "bad" people, tho I'd be for that. Vote 'em out. Yeah, right. That takes more cooperation and communication that Americans are capable of. YMMV.
Old 29-08-2013, 09:34   #2
cruiser

Re: How to be an Environmental Steward?

I weathered the same post. Don't be too bothered by his extrapolation that because he saw one oldster litter a paper airplane... therefore, all people older than himself have worked collectively to ruin his otherwise pristine world.

They teach this crap in the schools here in the USA.
Old 29-08-2013, 10:07   #3
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I personally think this is the generation, that will result for the first time, in a long time having children with poorer prospects then their parents.

This extends to job availability , property , the environment, etc.

I dont really think you can blame the "gubbermint" thats too easy, we get the "gubbermints" we deserve.

And the trouble is how do you determine the "bad" people to shoot, one mans freedom fighter is another mans terrorist. History shows us that in any conflict both sides say the other is the "bad" one. Perhaps its better to do nothing then shoot the wrong person?

dave
Old 29-08-2013, 10:11   #4

Learn to live with less, walk and ride your bike more, try to be conscious of your consumptive behavior.

We can all do a little, and cumulatively it will accomplish a lot.
Old 29-08-2013, 10:20   #5
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

I wonder what people who lived back in the Industrial Age before any environmental laws would say about the current pollution level.

The biggest thing us "older people" did to make things "less better" was to have kids. Having kids is the biggest cause of increased resource demand!
Old 29-08-2013, 10:22   #6
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I personally think this is the generation, that will result for the first time, in a long time having children with poorer prospects then their parents.

This extends to job availability , property , the environment, etc.
Spoiled brats is what they are. I was alive back in the early 1960s and know and remember what it was like to live in Southern California during the smog alerts when you're eyes and chest burned all day from the brown/grey haze and saw all the factories puking the black smoke along with the refineries. I also remember when a river caught fire from all the pollution somewhere in the east coast. Things are far, far improved today with the environment having been cleaned up significantly. If you don't believe me... stand behind my 1981 308GTSi sometime.... It'll bring tears to your eyes.

The only "kids" (if that's you want call a 20-30 year old still living at home with mom and dad) that I know of who are unemployed are the lazy-ass ones who expect something for nothing... with their parents seemingly in total agreement with their lifestyle choice and worthless, bogus college degrees in subjects like Human Sexuality and Social Archeology.

Don't tell me everything is my fault.... I ride a bicycle over 10,000 miles per year and drive a car only a couple thousand miles. Meanwhile, I watch as mommies all over the USA continue to shuttle their babies (ages 4-30) to and from school and sports in the family SUV instead of using the city provided school buses.
Old 29-08-2013, 10:23   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamicatana View Post
Learn to live with less, walk and ride your bike more, try to be conscious of your consumptive behavior.

We can all do a little, and cumulatively it will accomplish a lot.
Bingo.

I feel the sailing lifestyle often results in people appreciating the benefits of consuming less and owning less 'stuff' for a variety of reasons. You only need to see a modern container ship grinding in to port to realise what stuff addiction has done to us.

Being able to fit all your possessions on a boat must be such a liberating feeling. I hope to be able to experience it one day...
Old 29-08-2013, 10:36   #8
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Spoiled brats is what they are. I was alive back in the early 1960s and know and remember what it was like to live in Southern California during the smog alerts when you're eyes and chest burned all day from the brown/grey haze and saw all the factories puking the black smoke along with the refineries. I also remember when a river caught fire from all the pollution somewhere in the east coast. Things are far, far improved today with the environment having been cleaned up significantly. If you don't believe me... stand behind my 1981 308GTSi sometime.... It'll bring tears to your eyes.

The only "kids" (if that's you want call a 20-30 year old still living at home with mom and dad) that I know of who are unemployed are the lazy-ass ones who expect something for nothing... with their parents seemingly in total agreement with their lifestyle choice and worthless, bogus college degrees in subjects like Human Sexuality and Social Archeology.

Jeepers, dont water it down, tell us what you really think

dave
Old 29-08-2013, 10:39   #9

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

shoot the bad people? you are just the person who we are all afraid of.

Old 29-08-2013, 10:41   #10
Armchair Bucketeer

I think the trouble started when women got the vote..........

Old 29-08-2013, 10:44   #11
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I think the trouble started when women got the vote..........

oh no , hes awake ,

the line in Tora Tora Tora comes to mind( supposedly attributed to Admiral Yamamoto)

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve

down boy
Old 29-08-2013, 11:15   #12

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post

(...) What can the younger folks do to be more effective than we were?
Crab,

It is not about what one can do. It is about what one does. And the younger folks do nothing. Except for blaming others.

That's the freaking frightening thing about the younger generation. They can do so much, but they do so little. Easy life tempers senses. There is no such thing as a well fed genius.

Yours was likely the last generation where ideals counted.

b.
Old 29-08-2013, 11:21   #13

Boat: Shopping...

Quote:
Originally Posted by europaflyer View Post
Bingo.

Being able to fit all your possessions on a boat must be such a liberating feeling. I hope to be able to experience it one day...

We have done it. It is very true. Like starting anew, and feeling younger!
And, living ''outdoor'', we are more environmentally concious.

Marc
Old 29-08-2013, 11:22   #14
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
That's the freaking frightening thing about the younger generation. They can do so much, but they do so little. Easy life tempers senses. There is no such thing as a well fed genius.

Yours was likely the last generation where ideals counted.
watching my now adult "kids" making their way in a difficult world , I am filled with admiration. They dont have "full" employment, defined benefits pension plan world of work. They work harder, longer hours for lower pay, They, struggle finding accommodation and simple things like buying a car or affording the "petrol" to put in it,. Often the era of free schooling , free 3rd level etc has passed them by and they have debts etc. But the strive and will succeed.

and yes in relation to " ideals" they are much more hard headed, more conservative then their parents, tough times tend to breed that. But they still see the value in environmental issues, still see the value in the welfare state ( albeit their version) all in all not a bad job,

just a pity we **&ked up the planet for them

dave
Old 29-08-2013, 11:30   #15
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
oldsters have left youngsters with a crappier world than we had. ....I wonder what we could have done better?
If you had died earlier your carbon footprint would be less.

In fact you could right your wrongs by gently euthinasing yourselves. Anyoone over 55 take the Big Plunge! The Earth will love you for it! Then us under 55's can live to a ripe old age in a great environment

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Closed Thread

Tags
environment, men