Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-03-2008, 15:44   #1

Boat: Stevens 47
High Drama a La Casa......

so here I am coming home about 11.00am this roommate had been gone from the house about an hour at this stage....I unlock the front door and walk up the hallway and into the main bedroom and throw my briefcase on the bed. I'm talking on the phone all this time to my roommate....and I notice a shadow through the blinds on the back deck...get this...bent down at the double french door to the main bedroom TRYING TO JIMMY THAT SUCKER OPEN!!!!!!!!$!$#^%!@$#!^$#!$#!!!!!!!
I quickly back out of the room and quietly leave the house by the front door and dial 911...the cops (God bless em!!) were there inside 2 minutes...uniform goes around the back gun drawn and up to the deck...I see the french door open so I hightail it around the front in case the perp runs out the front...a detective is just pulling up...this is 30 seconds after the first cop pulls up...and I let him in the front door...the perp see the one on the back deck and slams the door in his face and runs through the bedroom with the cop in hot pursuit and almost runs into the detective coming up the hallway...the perp runs into the kitchen and takes a flying leap at the kitchen window....breaks one pane and cuts his head to the bone...good thing he didn't go through as there is a 15ft drop to concrete out that window....the cops wrestle with him on the futon couch under the window and subdue him...meanwhile in the 30 seconds that all this happens there are 4 more cops rushing in the house from all shocked me to see this mad violence in my own house but I'll thank those cops till the day I die...I'm still jittery and shocked over seeing this go down in my OWN DAMN KITCHEN!!!!!!
The perp had , in 2 minutes, had taken $500 in change and put it in a backpack...had put two laptops in another bag and taken various watches and cameras and a wallet.....
What a HELL of a day....I am exhausted from the monumental adrenaline high...but the perp has a huge gash in his head and he's looking at 5-10...he's DAMN lucky I wasn't home a few minutes earlier or later because he would have been shot dead.....I'm thankful I had time to get out without alerting him and had time to call the cops........
I have been in this house and in this neighborhood for almost 7 years without incident and 10 days before I leave on my sailing adventure this happens....if ever I needed proof it was time to get the hell out this is it!!!!!!

10 days and I'm out to sea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cannot come soon enough!!!!!

To incident I am prone...
Cast me out and watch me skip along.....
Rangiroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 15:51   #2

GREAT story and thank GOD you are safe and secure!! I'm with you on the idea that It is time for me to leave as well. Not 10 days, unfortunately, but it can't come soon enough!! That is for sure!

Thanks for sharing your experience with us!!
Take care and happy sailing!

shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 16:36   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
$500 in change? That's a load of weight to carry out - even in a backpack.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 16:50   #4

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
I am glad you are OK. It's a shame this scumbag wasn't shot dead. I hope he goes to prison and gets his butt reamed by Buba . Have a good time "out to sea".
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 17:52   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Back to just the Jon boat.
Heck of a going away party!
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 20:07   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
And people worry whether it's safe to go cruising!
Dave -Sailing Vessel Exit Only
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 21:07   #7

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps
Wow! Close one...Can't pay the cops and firemen enough, imagine making your living
chasing bad guys into unknown places...or running into burning buildings.
Looks like you have things down pat. Cool under stress, fast reflexes and decisive!
Good attributes for your new adventures! Fair Winds...
s/v Little Jumps
Lancer 30
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:17   #8
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Rangiroo, a great reminder that we are at risk virtually anywhere on this planet and that the (fortunately) few incidents of boat intrusions in the Caribbean are really no different. In the end result it may be a good thing that you didn't have the opportunity to get your firearm and use a self-help remedy as I suspect your departure would have been delayed while the police/prosecutors cleared your case.

In any event, enjoy your cruising experience - you have more than earned it!

Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:34   #9
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
As with everything in life.....TIMING IS EVERYTHING.........
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 06:03   #10

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
And here in the UK for gun control for the citizens and prosecute people defending their homes. I can't wait either.
Just the number of road smashes I see in the average week is enough.
If it happens at sea it'll be my own fault. That I can live with, I think. Is that what I mean?
Ex Prout 31 Sailor, Now it's a 22ft Jaguar called 'Arfur' here in sunny Southampton, UK.
A few places left in Quayside Marina and Kemps Marina.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:34   #11

Boat: Privilege 39
It's really amazing how much a thief can take in a short period of time. There was a series recently on Discovery or one of those channels where these guys would find people to volunteer to have their home broken into and robbed and in return get a security upgrade (and all their stuff back, of course). Named something like "To catch a thief" maybe?

It was kind of a silly premise and show, but just seeing how quickly a thief can get in and how the actual theft only takes a few minutes, is pretty amazing.
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 17:46   #12

How long is your cruise? If you're not around to testify, won't the guy get out of jail?
__________________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 19:28   #13

Boat: Stevens 47
No I don't need to be here to testify because the police arrived with him still in the house...he had some of my possessions in his pockets and he resisted arrest inside the house...slam dunk case....the police are the witnesses...I made a hand-written statement so I do not need to return...our trip is open ended...5-10 yrs or untill we get sick of it...the plan is that there really is no plan!...

It has taken me days to get over this incident....I'm the sort of person that bears up really well in the moment then goes to pieces long after the fact...I am much better now but I was still badly shaken by this on Friday...two days after it happened...I am looking at it as the last little kick out the door...a wee hurry-along provided by our friendly creator has certainly had the psychological effect of me transferring my "feeling of where home is" from the house to the boat.

7-8 days till the magic moment!!!!!
To incident I am prone...
Cast me out and watch me skip along.....
Rangiroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 20:18   #14

All I know about criminal law I learned from Law and Order, Matlock, and Ally McBeal, so don't worry about my thoughts. I guess I figured that, if he wanted to go to trial, they would need you to establish that he didn't belong there and had your stuff. Perhaps one of the legal seagulls could chime in on that, but that's not very sailing related anyway.....

That said, theres probably a bunch of stuff that they could charge him with without your help, like assault on an officer, resisting arrest, stuff like that.

So my entirely uninformed thought is for you to try and put this out of your head, and HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!!!!

__________________ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: