Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2014, 12:38   #151

Re: Hiding Guns on Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
I just don't know what to say to that.
How about, "We need a big sarcasm smiley!"

LOL
socaldmax is offline   Reply
Old 03-04-2014, 13:36   #152

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Most countries where you would need a gun in usually also have other issues such as drug smuggling, weapons smuggling, etc, that their customs people are looking for, most customs people also know that people smuggling these goods don't usually look like Hollywood caricatures. No good smuggler is going to use a person who looks suspicious.
The smugglers usually rely on people who look just like you and me, OK, mostly like you, I just look suspicious in any situation. Because of this they are quite good at spotting anything unusual, whether with your boat or with you when they go through the typical questions associated with clearing in, those questions, and the order they are given in are usually used for a reason. Despite all the high tec devices we see in American airports the countries with the biggest security issues, Israel for instance, still rely on the personal interview to detect anything out of place. The people giving those interviews are highly trained, just like detectives in better trained police forces, to detect anything in a persons demeanor or answers (there are hundreds of involuntary facial tics or posture cues) that would contradict the answer given.
Finding a hiding place on a boat that would be effective yet readily accessible would be difficult enough, answering a trained customs official while being effusive would just increase the possibility of getting the extra special inspection.
I can't really think of a good way to accomplish the first goal, not effectively that is, secondly, having been through many interviews (mostly in airports in high security countries) I can tell you that the slightly friendly, seemingly dim witted person interviewing you is anything but. Most people think they are good liars, the truth is the majority of people aren't, it only takes a small amount of training to pick up the cues people give off when being deceptive. There's a whole science given to it and most people you come into contact with in those rolls are well trained and motivated.
A boat is a relatively small space with most of that being used, trying to hide anything these days would be difficult.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply
Old 03-04-2014, 13:50   #153
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
That's funny we actually keep our boat in Gilford. Carrying guns on board their is easy. No need to hide them in New Hampshire. It's all contained with in one state and is under the Marine Patrol not the Coast Guard.

Ha ha ha. Guessed it right off the bat.

I know there are no problems there. There are no problems with anything there. Let's both leave it at that and not tell everyone why it's the best state in the country..... shhhhh!!!!!
oceannavigator is offline   Reply
Old 03-04-2014, 14:07   #154

Boat: Hans Christian 33

I am tempted to conduct a test when we go cruising. I have on our boat a very accessible but well hidden spot in one of our walls that could easily harbor a handgun and ammo. We will not be cruising with a gun nor drugs but I think i am going to put a piece of mild steel that would represent a gun. See how badly its rusts. Also maybe a double baggie of cut grass to represent reefer. I might even go to the point of getting one of my stoner friends to rub weed scent on the inside of the baggie (as long as thats legal). It would be interesting to see if it ever gets discovered.
Old 03-04-2014, 14:11   #155
cruiser

Ditch the fake gun and get real weed.
Horror Hotel is offline   Reply
Old 03-04-2014, 15:16   #156

Boat: Catalina 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horror Hotel View Post
Ditch the fake gun and get real weed.

+1,000 to that. Haha
Old 03-04-2014, 15:47   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
There are some calls to end the "distributed storage" as well, and force all army weapons to be stored at the nearest barracks. One can already do this voluntarily, and many wives force their husbands to do so. (Have to figure out a good translation of SWMBO in Swiss German...)
Hmmnm - would that be the Schwyzerdütsch equivalent of something along the lines of "Oberfrau von Sitzpinkler?"
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply
Old 03-04-2014, 16:17   #158

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Here are a couple of possibilities from just that last couple of days...

From The Bahamas Weekly...
(Nassau, Bahamas) - US Citizens Randal Timm age 57- years along with his wife Traci Justice Timm age 43 – years from Destin, Florida, appeared before the Comptroller of Customs Mr. Charles Turner on Monday 31st March 2014, where they elected their case be heard after having been advised by council.
According to reports, shortly after 2:00am on Sunday 30th March 2014 officers from the Royal Bahamas Defense Force conducted a search of a pleasure boat moored at East Bay Street and found two (2) rifles that the two individuals failed to declare upon entering the Bahamas. The man and women were taken into custody and handed over to the police for further investigations.
The duo was charged with failure to declare two (2) of the five (5) firearms found in their possession and fined $5,000.00. Additionally, their cruise permit for travel within the territory of the Bahamas was cancelled.
Finally, a seize order was place on their vessel for a period of (3) three days to facilitate some minor repairs to the vessel.
All of the weapons were ordered confiscated and condemned.

US VISITOR ARRESTED FOR THREATS OF DEATH, DRUG AND FIREARM POSSESSION

Nassau, Bahamas - A 57 year old man from Massachusetts, U.S.A. is in custody after he was arrested for Threats of Death, Possession of Dangerous Drugs and Possession of an Unlicensed Firearm on Tuesday 1st April 2014.

According to reports shortly before 4:00pm, a female friend of the suspect reported to police that the suspect threatened to shoot her while onboard a sailboat moored off Nassau Harbour. Police arrested the suspect shortly after the report was made.

Police assisted by officers from the Customs Department and Defense Force later conducted a search of the suspect’s 40ft sailboat and found a quantity of marijuana. Police also confiscated a handgun along with 145 rounds of ammunition.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply
Old 03-04-2014, 16:32   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by erobert View Post
I suppose now wouldn't be a good time to ask about methods of hiding pot on board?
Pedro: Man, what is in this ****, man?
Man Stoner: Mostly Maui Waui man, but it's got some Labrador in it.
Pedro: Uhhh, I wonder what Great Dane tastes like, man.
ShipShape is offline   Reply
Old 03-04-2014, 16:44   #160
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorageGuy View Post
Here are a couple of possibilities from just that last couple of days...

From The Bahamas Weekly...
(Nassau, Bahamas) - US Citizens Randal Timm age 57- years along with his wife Traci Justice Timm age 43 – years from Destin, Florida, appeared before the Comptroller of Customs Mr. Charles Turner on Monday 31st March 2014, where they elected their case be heard after having been advised by council.
According to reports, shortly after 2:00am on Sunday 30th March 2014 officers from the Royal Bahamas Defense Force conducted a search of a pleasure boat moored at East Bay Street and found two (2) rifles that the two individuals failed to declare upon entering the Bahamas. The man and women were taken into custody and handed over to the police for further investigations.
The duo was charged with failure to declare two (2) of the five (5) firearms found in their possession and fined $5,000.00. Additionally, their cruise permit for travel within the territory of the Bahamas was cancelled.
Finally, a seize order was place on their vessel for a period of (3) three days to facilitate some minor repairs to the vessel.
All of the weapons were ordered confiscated and condemned.

US VISITOR ARRESTED FOR THREATS OF DEATH, DRUG AND FIREARM POSSESSION

Nassau, Bahamas - A 57 year old man from Massachusetts, U.S.A. is in custody after he was arrested for Threats of Death, Possession of Dangerous Drugs and Possession of an Unlicensed Firearm on Tuesday 1st April 2014.

According to reports shortly before 4:00pm, a female friend of the suspect reported to police that the suspect threatened to shoot her while onboard a sailboat moored off Nassau Harbour. Police arrested the suspect shortly after the report was made.

Police assisted by officers from the Customs Department and Defense Force later conducted a search of the suspect’s 40ft sailboat and found a quantity of marijuana. Police also confiscated a handgun along with 145 rounds of ammunition.

Wow. And people complain about the crime they experience visiting the islands?

I wonder what the ratio of locals causing problems for boaters vs boaters causing problems for themselves and locals is?

These stories make me feel ashamed to be from the same country as these peoole.

oceannavigator is offline   Reply
Old 03-04-2014, 19:09   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by erobert View Post

This thread is meant to address the issue of how to live aboard with a gun when the legality is ambiguous in large parts of the world. Two strategies that come to mind, are to stay out of States that don't allow guns by foreigners. The second is to hide them.

I'd like to hear from people who do have guns on board. .
Some great insights have already been shared in this thread about guns but none that really hit the nail on the head for me about how to live with one like the OP is asking.

First off on your statement about a guns legality being ambiguous.

I have been a few place around the globe but have never been to or know of a country that is ambiguous on the matter. All the ones that I have visited are clear on the matter.

However to answer your main question of " how to live aboard with a gun" and from experience I will tell you, IN FEAR. Of course that is in a country that prohibits them. You will be living knowing that if you get caught you will be facing either extended jail time or some serious bribery/evading none of which are the sort of hassles you probably want in your cruising lifestyle.

On the other hand, "How to Live Aboard with a gun" in countries that allow guns and you have gone through the proper steps to posses it. And my answer is by keeping as low of a profile as possible and knowing exactly what the consequences are of using it. Once you do, you will likely be living IN FEAR of actually using it.

Thirdly, " how to live aboard with a gun". In my home country where I know the laws and consequences. And that is I sleep very peacefully by knowing I am armed and within the law.

So I think you are asking the correct question regarding guns on board and that is how do you want to live ? You can live in fear or peacefully. I bet most chose peacefully.

Now if we want to discussing how to survive defending life and property in foreign lands without possessing a illegal weapon that is a whole other topic.
Camo is offline   Reply
Old 03-04-2014, 19:15   #162

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Does anyone know if Canada still allows you to enter with one shot gun, one long gun but no pistols? I know it is stupid to try and hide one aboard...
Capt Phil is offline   Reply
Old 03-04-2014, 22:21   #163
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Most Super yachts handle it legally by designing a seperate Gun Safe inside the large bonded locker.
When making entry all controlled items: booze/medical drugs/firearms and ammo are meticulously itemized with the onboard facility to lock and seal.

Shore control has option to seal and bond gun safe, remove arms or just remove and take firing pins ashore.

They assess the level of crew management on board. What the prevailing local risk is to a VIP visitor based on thier security updates before deciding on best course of action.

It is not unusual for them to first remove and then return a couple of days later... rather than shipping to your departure port as was originally agreed.

Presentation and calm discussion often changes hard rules towards practical decisions once shore control get to know your standard of operation.

I found that having an internationally recognised marine security training certificate helped in our discussions and their assessment of local risk from us.
Pelagic is offline   Reply
Old 04-04-2014, 07:40   #164

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Neely View Post
I am tempted to conduct a test when we go cruising. I have on our boat a very accessible but well hidden spot in one of our walls that could easily harbor a handgun and ammo. We will not be cruising with a gun nor drugs but I think i am going to put a piece of mild steel that would represent a gun. See how badly its rusts. Also maybe a double baggie of cut grass to represent reefer. I might even go to the point of getting one of my stoner friends to rub weed scent on the inside of the baggie (as long as thats legal). It would be interesting to see if it ever gets discovered.
You might not want to do that.
Even the residue left on the bag would be enough to provide evidence enough to hold you, depends on how good the testing equipment is in the location that does find it. Dogs are quite good at picking up even the slightest hint or trace of the scent. A number of countries will confiscate the boat in that case, then it's up to you to get it back, it's a for profit scheme.
Better just not to tempt the gods.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply
Old 04-04-2014, 08:17   #165
cruiser

Hiding Guns on Board

Not of your sailing in Colorado or several other very lax states.
Horror Hotel is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
Guns