Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2014, 13:56   #16
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Hiding Guns on Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by erobert View Post
I'd like to hear from people who do have guns on board. Is it even possible to hide a gun in a sailboat. I've yet to sail internationally and don't know how stupid it would be to dismantle a rifle in the hopes immigration won't find a piece of it and figure out what it's for. ..........
OK, I have had rifles on board back when it was entirely legal and paperwork free. Now days I don't bother - way too much paperwork and no longer sail in "hunting areas".
To answer your questions, yes, of course it is possible to hide them on board. In the same way, it is possible for them to be found by various officials .
Any advice given here would only make potential hiding places less secret.

Although I have no experience of trying to hide a weapon from immigration, I would suggest it would be be very very very stupid. The downside would be huge and the upside minimal.

YMMV.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2014, 13:56   #17
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Hiding Guns on Board

A lots changed around the world since '88-'92... or have you not noticed.. especially in that region... but its your life, go for it..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply
Old 02-01-2014, 14:05   #18

Erobert:

I sail armed and I totally agree with your
Decision to be armed. Nothing makes bad people go away faster than the threat of catastrophic violence...

However, anything that you can find some hotshot can find and you REALLY don't want to be tossed into a turd-world prison.

BTW: I've been to Jamacia twice and I thought the people were vicious, dirty thieves and the soul destroying poverty was depressing. Just my observations.

All the best!
Seafrontiersman is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2014, 14:09   #19
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafrontiersman View Post
BTW: I've been to Jamacia twice and I thought the people were vicious, dirty thieves and the soul destroying poverty was depressing. Just my observations.

All the best!
Second time to check you were right huh..

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 02-01-2014, 14:13   #20
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

I guess the simple question is:
Are you smarter at hiding than the immigration guy is at finding?

That is really all you a gambling on and you don't have much evidence before hand to assess the odds yet the stakes remain very high (your potential liberty).
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2014, 14:14   #21
cruiser

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, Hull 75

I'm partial to crossbows. Nearly silent, nearly as effective at close range, just as accurate (with a little practice), not likely to rust, and they don't light you up at night destroying your night vision and revealing your position behind cover or concealment.

Has anyone had any legal problems with those?
Cpt Pat is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2014, 14:14   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Second time to check you were right huh..
Nope! First time in the Navy and the second time delivering cargo on a Merchant ship!
Seafrontiersman is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2014, 14:15   #23

No boatman61, but I don't blame you for accusing me of that. I posted, then it brought me to the first page. I assumed my post had been lost so I rewrote it, copy pasted and reloaded the page, then realized my post was at the top of the second page. My second attempt was more to the point since that book doesn't reference Jamaica. I didn't even notice any following replies when I edited my post. My mistake.

Where you referring to things changing in Jamaica or Java?
erobert is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2014, 14:17   #24
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:

This thread is meant to address the issue of how to live aboard with a gun when the legality is ambiguous in large parts of the world. Two strategies that come to mind, are to stay out of States that don't allow guns by foreigners. The second is to hide them.

If it is legal to have it why would you need to hide it?????

And since having one means you are willing to use it, why make it harder to get to?
Old 02-01-2014, 14:20   #25

Boat: EndeavourCat 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Pat View Post
I'm partial to crossbows. Nearly silent, nearly as effective at close range, not likely to rust, and they don't light you up at night destroying your night vision and revealing your position behind cover or concealment.
Tricky to de-cock, though, on a boat. You can't just shoot the arrow into the ground...
Cuttyhunk is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2014, 14:23   #26

Boat: Endeavour 37

A flare gun might be effective (better than nothing in a pinch, eh). And... perfectly legal on the boat - everywhere, isn't it?
BozSail is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2014, 14:24   #27
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

If it helps you sleep at night...and maybe eat some dinner
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2014, 14:26   #28
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
No boatman61, but I don't blame you for accusing me of that. I posted, then it brought me to the first page. I assumed my post had been lost so I rewrote it, copy pasted and reloaded the page, then realized my post was at the top of the second page. My second attempt was more to the point since that book doesn't reference Jamaica. I didn't even notice any following replies when I edited my post. My mistake.

Where you referring to things changing in Jamaica or Java?
The book you quoted referenced Java I believe.. there's a few members based around that area.. see what they have to say about attitudes down that way..

Old 02-01-2014, 14:28   #29
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Flare guns have been hashed to death elsewhere, and no, they are not legal everywhere. They're still FIREARMS no matter where they go, the only question is whether a locality gives you any slack when they are on, or in transit to, a vessel. Not all do.

Pat, crossbows are regulated as firearms in many venues also. Again, the only question is who cuts you how much slack, if any. And try convincing the nice man in a uniform that your rather large and obvious crossbow is onboard your boat for sporting purposes, and that it isn't a firearm. Post that one on YouTube, wouldya?
hellosailor is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2014, 14:39   #30

Remarkable that all these 'Shoot first' people from the other gun threads are no where to be found on this issue. It's easy to say shoot first if you never sail where there are pirates. Given the warnings on this tread, if I feel the need to sail in non-gun states I'll be sailing defensively taking the long way around.

One of my posts seems to have disappeared. Serves me right for riding this thread as if it's a chat room. I'll quickly say, just in case any one want's a good read, Paul Lutus'es free book contains an account of a rusty shotgun deterring pirates somewhere in the Java sea.
erobert is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
Guns