Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2014, 06:40   #61

Boat: currently a power boat :(
Re: Hiding Guns on Board

As an ex-US Army guy and avid hunter, guns have been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. I've often wondered about this topic and before the internet, info was sparse or difficult to obtain. My first ever charter was a crewed one about 15 years ago out of Grenada. The captain(english) and I got on the topic of guns and he said he kept 2 on board. After a lengthy discussion, he said he declared his .38, but kept his shotgun hidden. I was shocked that he would first, tell me that and second, operate unlawfully. This is not ADVICE to the OP, just sharing an experience I had.

That being said, as much as guns are a part of my life, I agree with the many here that say it simply is not worth operating outside of any countries laws. Is the juice worth the squeeze?
Old 03-01-2014, 07:00   #62
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Hiding Guns on Board

This is for the guy with the Khukri's and the Bear Spray....
The Bear Spray will be confiscated in certain countries.. including Australia..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply
Old 03-01-2014, 07:20   #63
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
I'm honestly not super interested in this thread, but another thread had suggested some search dogs are able to detect gunpowder?

Is this true? I have been only been searched by dogs twice, once in Cuba departing the country and once importing the boat to Australia. I did have Solas flares on board which have a small amount I believe. They were just stores in the ditch bag when searched in Cuba and no notice was made of them. I assume they were just looking for Cubans and not weapons leaving the country.

Just curious about this. I constantly find it interesting that those most experienced with weapons seem to be the least likely to take them cruising. Too bad the general population does not have the same attitude so more accidents didn't happen.

Yes, dogs can be trained to detect ammunition. Bomb dogs and drug dogs are mutually exclusive; generally you can't train a dog to do both. Therefore your chances of customs using a bomb dog on your boat may be slim, depending on the country, unless they have reason to suspect you. Bomb dogs are very common and growing in popularity, they are in every airport.

Bomb Dogs, Explosives Detection, K9 training

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply
Old 03-01-2014, 07:38   #64

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rubio View Post
Unfortunately, trouble isn't always in specific locations. I don't own and carry firearms so that I can visit the seedy part of town, I avoid that area anyway. I was trained, and most other concealed carry permit owners were probably advised, to give a robber what he wants. His life isn't worth taking for your wallet, but it isn't always about that. Sometimes, they have other intentions.
I live in a country where most males have a military issued weapon at home. Mostly in a locker in their cellar however, only to be taken out for training. I understand the "armed citizenry as a guarantee for freedom" idea. But an arms race between criminals and their victims doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

I sometimes have the impression that what the US is really engaged in is some breeding program, to breed a more aggressive kind of criminal...
K_V_B is offline   Reply
Old 03-01-2014, 07:53   #65

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by West star View Post
Have you ever tried to shoot a moving object, while on a moving object?
Hollywood does it all the time. Wait...maybe that's the problem with these threads!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I wonder how you would determine that anyone is actually a deadly threat, at that distance.
Gord...I can spot a divorce lawyer at 600 yards.

...I always carry a gun for all the paranoids who are following me.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply
Old 03-01-2014, 08:22   #66

Have you ever seen a 3rd (or even 2nd) world jail? I have. I would never risk it. I'm with the others, I just don't go to places where I need a gun.

But if I just had to carry a gun, I'd own (and declare) a shotgun. Much easier to explain as a strictly defensive tool (anti shark). Would you go down a companionway knowing there might be a shotgun pointed at you? The Mossberg 500 Mariner is even designed for use around salt water.
CarlF is offline   Reply
Old 03-01-2014, 08:35   #67
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
I live in a country where most males have a military issued weapon at home. Mostly in a locker in their cellar however, only to be taken out for training. I understand the "armed citizenry as a guarantee for freedom" idea. But an arms race between criminals and their victims doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

I sometimes have the impression that what the US is really engaged in is some breeding program, to breed a more aggressive kind of criminal...
See: Lumbee Indians* "How to build a superhuman cotton picker"..Tolkkin outlined it with the Uruk-kia,Nazi Germans took it to the edge, what is next..?
tropicalescape is offline   Reply
Old 03-01-2014, 08:45   #68

Try scuba, a gps coordinste and a dry box

Sent from my Event using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 03-01-2014, 09:41   #69
Armchair Bucketeer

Three levels of dumb:-

a) going somewhere by choice where a gun is needed.
b) having a gun illegally.
c) admitting to b) on the internet.

But CF is a broad church .

Take a machete and don't be lazy. or shy ......and if really really worried then stand an anchor watch (a fella with a machete and a SOH is far better than a gatling gun owned by someone who is fast asleep - with or without an open door ).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply
Old 03-01-2014, 10:19   #70

What's the problem? Travis McGee had a hiding place on the Busted Flush that no one could find, including experienced law enforcement types.

But he never told anyone where it was.

And it was fictional......
bill352 is offline   Reply
Old 03-01-2014, 10:25   #71
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill352 View Post
What's the problem? Travis McGee had a hiding place on the Busted Flush that no one could find, including experienced law enforcement types.

But he never told anyone where it was.

And it was fictional......
which part?
Old 03-01-2014, 10:26   #72
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post

Mind you I understand that now , they are not issued with any Ammunition anymore, They used to be issued with enough to "fight your way to the barracks" , but not anymore I gather. The Swiss issued military firearm really is just distributed storage thats all.

Mind you they do have a very laid back attitude to rifles.

Dave
Old 03-01-2014, 10:32   #73
Marine Service Provider

Boat: other peoples
Send a message via Skype™ to Loco Gato

Hiding guns on board is possible BUT! the problem is in answering the Customs Officer, do you have any firearms on board? These guys do this day in and day out, probably a family tradition. Plus they surround themselves with other customs types and many are trained in deception, ie. body language. The hiding spot is secondary, it's you that will give yourself away. I was one in a couple of lifetimes ago U.S. Customs
Loco Gato is offline   Reply
Old 03-01-2014, 10:43   #74

The overhead panel above the quarter berth on one of my boats was 1/8" teak ply. There was a space between the ply and the fiberglass. I made a removeable teak moulding at the open end of the berth and there was just enough space to put a handgun in there.

Cheechako is offline   Reply
Old 03-01-2014, 10:50   #75
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
The overhead panel above the quarter berth on one of my boats was 1/8" teak ply. There was a space between the ply and the fiberglass. I made a removeable teak moulding at the open end of the berth and there was just enough space to put a handgun in there.
well thats out on the net then

Tags
Guns