Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2017, 13:59   #1

Help me decide, what to do with my weapons

well folks I've tried to research this and I'm sure it's a thread that has been Beat to Death many times over. I'm sorry but I've missed them. I would like some fresh input about weapons on board. I live in the u.s. and it's pretty much been standard procedure for at least one weapon on board in a fishing trip with different friends of mine and we have never discussed it but I get on their boat and then I realize they have a weapon. And I normally have one on my boat or on my possession. But I was raised around weapons as a young lad hunting and to me that's just another tool in the toolbox. You use it if it's necessary,,, that's one tool you hope you never use. But it's there just like any other spare that you carry on board...these are things that you hope that you never need but you carry them just in case. it's such a normal part of my life that I don't give it a second thought. But in another thread I noticed it was a very controversial topic. One even responded with he did not believe that we should have the right to bear arms! he said that he disagreed with that and I'm just shocked. without them it would be a very different world we live in. In the right hands they do great things. If your enemy is stronger than you, then will probably be a victim so I guess they are a tool that equalizes the playing field for all those big small or whatever in between. otherwise I think we would live in a world where only the strong would survive.... if I stay in US waters I got it covered I think.... but I want more info ......at some point I might like to be a competitive 3 gun shooter and I plan on living on my boat so I am concerned about both the laws and if I really even should have them on board or not.... I thought shooting trap off the bow of my boat would just be cool,,, but it might not be worth the trouble.....
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 14:28   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Help me decide, what to do with my weapons

Not being from the US as are many of the forum members, can you just clarify what you intend to shoot? People, clays or big scary fish?

Pete
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 14:36   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Help me decide, what to do with my weapons

Clays I'd imagine with a trap at the bow.. unless its a buxom bikini clad man trap and he shoots the 'hunks' as they swim to the boat..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 14:40   #4

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.1

If you plan on sailing outside US waters, you'll be far better off without them, IMHO. They are illegal in many jurisdictions and a boat with weapons is subject to far greater scrutiny from officials that are often looking for any excuse, fabricated or not, to get another gold star.
hafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 14:44   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Not being from the US as are many of the forum members, can you just clarify what you intend to shoot? People, clays or big scary fish?

Pete
Absolutely that's funny. Clay's off the bow,with biodegradable shot i should add...targets in an onland range or in competition mostly for rifle & pistol. You see the boat is home & home is where your stuff is, three gun is a competition with a pistol a rifle and a shotgun all at targets of different types. My main questions are traveling with a weapon is it worth even having it on board as a protection or do most people believe it's more likely to get you killed because you're outgunned anyway. I'm just trying to find out how big of a problem it is to travel with weapons on my boat. And is it something that the world Travel yachties think necessary,I certainly hope I never have to shoot someone that type scenario only happens if they're already trying to kill me.so do I need one onboard or not?
Old 03-02-2017, 14:48   #6

If you're into navigating custom and regulation and also willing to let those regs dictate your next port of call, do it.

If you'll be able to shoot clay pigeons off the bow while underway in international waters, you should teach small arms gunnery

If you're going to shoot clay pigeons while in an anchorage. I hope you have a Canadian flagged vessel because you'll be poorly representing US.
Old 03-02-2017, 16:12   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

In the US, do as you please. It is your country and guns are your problem.

Elsewhere, consider coming without your guns. If you think a place is not safe consider not visiting the place.

I have visited maybe two dozen countries by now. Where I came closest to getting shot a gun would be no help. Shooting a policeman in Panama is probably as bad as shooting one in the US.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 16:30   #8

The thought was at sea when nobody was around maybe toss a few clays,.... definitely not something that you would do at an Anchorage somewhere I get that...& yes even while moving, .... the point is made when it would give customs of another country reason to scrutinize me even more than is necessary. Understand I'm trying to learn if this is something that is necessary or if it's something that is more likely to get me in trouble. I don't see guns here as being a problem. As I keep saying an armed Society is a polite Society it's just human nature. I am not a politician but I know that the politics of my country could cause a problem that I've got nothing whatsoever to do with. and this is one of the reasons why I asked on an international forum. How dangerous is it out there? Really. not necessary to carry any weapons that's great by me. But I gotta ask have you ever been robbed? Am I safer without them? The point about them controlling what ports you can go to is an excellent one,ok ,I get it, sounds to me like I'm better off without them Internationally. ... thank you for your input all
Old 03-02-2017, 16:43   #9

I don't care what you do with your guns, but please learn to use paragraphs.
siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 16:49   #10

Oh boy. The grammar police.....
Old 03-02-2017, 16:49   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Kita,

Spend about 60 seconds with the forum search button with the key word gun or guns and you will find a dozen threads or more and hundreds of posts about guns on boats. Yes it has been beat to death

I was raised hunting and shooting, qualified expert, and after cruising a few years in the Caribbean it became very clear that guns on board bring more trouble than they will ever prevent.

Again, spend a bit of time searching and you will find all this information, but to summarize what you will find, many, many countries ban any kind of gun. Many that don't ban them outright will require you to surrender them to the authorities until you leave (so what good will it be to bring it), some will arrest you on the spot if you show up with one even if you declare it openly. If you try to hide it and it's found be prepared to spend some time in a very unpleasant, third world dungeon.

Bottom line, if your going to travel the world, leave the guns at home.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 16:50   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamese View Post

OK that is funny right there.

I grew up with guns myself and most here would be shocked at how many I have. Only one is military type and that a WWII carbine.

However having travelled the world but not by boat I can tell you about the only thing that may get you locked up longer is drugs, except Indonesia if you can believe the signs at the airport they just execute you.
I'm leaving mine in storage
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 16:59   #13

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamese View Post

It's safest not to carry guns or paragraphs.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 17:07   #14

I grew up with guns as well and still have too many but I'd have to be a complete idiot to keep them on the boat as we travel from country to country. What works in the USA stays in the USA.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 17:16   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Kita,

Spend about 60 seconds with the forum search button with the key word gun or guns and you will find a dozen threads or more and hundreds many, many thousands of posts about guns on boats. Yes it has been beat to death
There, fixed it for you.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote