Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2017, 19:55   #16

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Help me decide, what to do with my weapons

Kita, we've been cruising for 30years and lots of thousands of miles and a fair number of countries. In that time, we have never been in a situation where I would have resorted to a firearm even if I had had one. In the sense that you meant, the only "armed" society that we have been in was the USA, our home. I can say that the un-armed societies we've visited were surely as polite as the USA, and far politer than some of the parts of the USA that I've been in. And don't underestimate the hassles that you will encounter if carrying weapons into other lands... they are serious, severe and inescapable.

IMO, the only arms that belong on a cruising yacht have hands on one end and shoulders on the other!

Jim
Old 03-02-2017, 23:35   #17
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Shooting a policeman in Panama is probably as bad as shooting one in the US.
I think safe to say being super-wealthy might help with that little problem in some places more than it would stateside.
https://youtu.be/Chijdnu-qL8
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 11:21   #18

One what are the odds one will encounter violence? If not dealing drugs or involved in nefarious activities astronomically low. You have better odds of being hit by lighting, or attack by a shark and maybe both at the same time. Your outboard might get stolen but rarely will you have a conflict where a gun is beneficial. Two if you are in a situation where a gun would be beneficial it is likely you will be out gunned or not have access to your weapon when it is needed. Three your nice shotguns rifles and pistols will be under constant threat from oxidation. Four the bureaucratic hassles just seems overwhelming IMHO.

I own guns have no problem with guns but am always amazed at folks who are not military, police or live on South side of Chicago think they need guns for protection. I have travel to many sketchy places around the world and have never had a single situation where a weapon would have been beneficial. In fact I had a friend who was a detective in a violent American city and they said they only carry a gun when required such as a raid etc. He said guns only escalate a situation and that he was always safer leaving his weapon lock in the trunk of his vehicle. His situational awareness and level head were his best tools to keep him safe.
Waterrat10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 11:53   #19
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kita View Post
the world Travel yachties think necessary,I certainly hope I never have to shoot someone that type scenario only happens if they're already trying to kill me.so do I need one onboard or not?

Well, lucky you are asking now so you know what a foolish thing is to make that statement in any other country than the US.

You ain't go no automatic right of self defense. That means in many places where you shoot a local the police will charge you because you are not their second cousin and the deceased is. As you are a foreigner who has the ability to flee you will be locked up in a real jail, no bail, with the rest of the killed persons family and friends.

Then when you get to court, white man in a nice suit, in front of a black judge, on the charge of blowing the head off a 16 year old black child for stealing a bar of chocolate from your boat, you are going to be adjourned and adjourned untill your boat rots at the police dock and your wife has left you, your kids sick of being taunted their dad's a murderer and all your money is gone in bribes and legal fees...

If you don't think this is likely, think again, sunshine, because its happening now. In Bequia a French dude killed a local and he was locked up for 2 YEARS before his trial occured.

So think about it. Think real hard. Very very hard, and you might come up with non-lethal defenses... sure they take less ego to use, but they're effective.
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 11:56   #20

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterrat10 View Post
..astronomically low..
Surely, that should be "speleologically low"

Sent from mTalk
Old 04-02-2017, 12:13   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Well, lucky you are asking now so you know what a foolish thing is to make that statement in any other country than the US.

You ain't go no automatic right of self defense. That means in many places where you shoot a local the police will charge you because you are not their second cousin and the deceased is. As you are a foreigner who has the ability to flee you will be locked up in a real jail, no bail, with the rest of the killed persons family and friends.

Then when you get to court, white man in a nice suit, in front of a black judge, on the charge of blowing the head off a 16 year old black child for stealing a bar of chocolate from your boat, you are going to be adjourned and adjourned untill your boat rots at the police dock and your wife has left you, your kids sick of being taunted their dad's a murderer and all your money is gone in bribes and legal fees...

If you don't think this is likely, think again, sunshine, because its happening now. In Bequia a French dude killed a local and he was locked up for 2 YEARS before his trial occured.
So think about it. Think real hard. Very very hard, and you might come up with non-lethal defenses... sure they take less ego to use, but they're effective.
.....thank you, real info is what I was looking for.....
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 12:23   #22

Boat: Gulf 32

The best thing to do with your weapons is to use them as often as you can. I always bring my stainless .22 halibut gun when I go bottom fishing in salt water.
I have a stainless .44 magnum I call my trout fishing gun. My boat serves as hunting camp during deer season. Got to have the shotgun on board for duck and goose hunting on the shore.
luckychucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 12:39   #23

If you're travelling to other countries there's not much point in taking your guns. When you enter a foreign country you'll be required to hand them in, and will only be able to get them back when you're leaving.

If you don't declare them on entry and are found out, you'll go to jail.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 12:55   #24

Boat: Catalina 470

We often take our western rights and wrongs with us overseas but the rest of the world has a different view of right and wrong. Take Thailand, if you have a car accident ands its completely not your fault, well actually IT IS . You are the foreigner, its not your country and if you weren't there the accident wouldn't of happened. Money needs to get involved quickly to solve this issue.

Shooting someone overseas , accidentally or in self defense would most likely destroy your life. Even in a tourist place like Bali where thousands of westerners flock each day,the delusion of western right and wrongs (rights) get smashed the moment you find your self in a predictment. I carry thousands of Rupiah there even when just riding a motorbike, this gives me the opportunity to solve a problem right there and then if need be, the further it goes up the ladder the more it will cost until such a point that money will no longer solve the issue.

No good will come from carring a gun.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 13:37   #25
cruiser

there's no up or down in space
Old 04-02-2017, 13:53   #26

I have just been reading that several stated in USA allow open carry; wearing a gun so that it is plainly visible and easily accessed. Whaaat!!!!. How does this make a society safe? I understand that you can wear a gun into a picture theatre but have to leave food brought from home at the ticket booth!

Having ready access to weapons encourages their use over trying to solve problems in non-violent ways. Look at the evidence from USA.
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 14:00   #27

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Our last year of cruising (2013), an American Sailor, his wife and their two children were heading the South Pacific via the Panama Canal. They had left from one of the southern states (Maybe Texas?)

Along the way they ended up with mechanically difficulties and ran aground off Mayan ruins of Tulum, south of Cancun, Meixco.

The moron sailor had four or five rifles and that many pistols on board, along with a bunch of ammo.

This was a case of them knowing Mexico was anti-gun and not intending to stop, but not having a choice when they had an emergency....

The Mexican Federal Police arrested him and his wife for illegal possession of weapons and placed their children in foster care. Had the boat been salvagable they would have confiscated it.

We did about 10,000 miles through Mexico and Central America (both coasts) over a three year period. I am a retired cop and never found a use for a gun while cruising, until I came back to the USA.

Other people have mentioned it, but it should also be emphasized that if you choose to use a gun in a foreign country, no matter if it is a clean shoot, you might be placed in jail until the authorities decide what they want to do. Mexico is one of those places, under Napoleonic Law, they will lock you up if someone is seriously injured or killed as a result of your actions.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 14:00   #28
cruiser

Israel and Switzerland have better-regulated militias it's true.
Old 04-02-2017, 14:03   #29

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlymn View Post
I have just been reading that several stated in USA allow open carry; wearing a gun so that it is plainly visible and easily accessed. Whaaat!!!!. How does this make a society safe? I understand that you can wear a gun into a picture theatre but have to leave food brought from home at the ticket booth!

Having ready access to weapons encourages their use over trying to solve problems in non-violent ways. Look at the evidence from USA.
If your not from the US I think its hard to understand the gun culture. In Australia, or at least the Australia I know , you just assume your neighbor dosent have a gun, its just not part of our culture.

The only cruisers I've come across that carry guns tend to be Americans (mostly).

On another note its interesting how quickly one adapts to seeing guns, you stop noticing . In the Philippines you see alot of guns. When I was at Samal Island Davao there was a little restraunt I'd go to each day. While having my meal there was a homeless scruffy guy that frequently walked through the restaurant to get to the side lane, he always had a automatic stubby machine gun hanging of his side, no one took any notice. Imagine a homeless guy walking into a restraunt in Australia with a machine gun hanging of his waist?

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 15:59   #30

Boat: currently a power boat :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Clays I'd imagine with a trap at the bow.. unless its a buxom bikini clad man trap and he shoots the 'hunks' as they swim to the boat..
Love it