Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2014, 16:41   #136
cruiser

Re: Has anyone considered their Multihull as last refuge in Global Pandemic?

Dr. Weavis and Dr. Newt,

Do you have any suggestions on ways to stockpile some rather necessary daily medication? Pill form. Seems like I'm only able to have up to a 60 day supply on hand because of insurance and MD prescription. Lights out without it.

Posting this because I can't be the only CF member in this situation.

Ken
Old 12-10-2014, 16:44   #137

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Has anyone considered their Multihull as last refuge in Global Pandemic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Dr. Weavis and Dr. Newt,

Do you have any suggestions on ways to stockpile some rather necessary daily medication? Pill form. Seems like I'm only able to have up to a 60 day supply on hand because of insurance and MD prescription. Lights out without it.

Ken
Me too. My ex is an MD. Whadya think my chances are of getting refills from her?

Riiiigggghhhht.
Old 12-10-2014, 16:45   #138

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
But I shudder with Kenomac, and pray for those who are in the hot zone.
I do too. So far about 370 health care providers have contracted this disease. It takes commitment and tremendous courage to leave your home country and travel into these strange places to try to save lives.

Thanks to people like you newt, weavis and all the others who take the Hippocratic oath we in many countries in the world live longer, healthier and more comfortable lives. Thank you and I too hope we are being pessimistic.

And then there is this impending emergency.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/ebola-o...nday-1.2796643
Old 12-10-2014, 16:58   #139
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Dr. Weavis and Dr. Newt,

Ken
I think, until an emergency is declared, existing rules and regulations will be the standing norm.

Depending on your current medication, it should be possible for you to receive extended pharmacy supplies if you are going sailing. That again will be dependent on your relationship with your medical provider.

Stockpiling meds is not an easy thing to do in this day and age. Everything in a normal situation is accountable in one form or another.
Old 12-10-2014, 17:04   #140

Cruisers Forum Supporter

An interesting interview just recently posted.
Ebola protocol breach? - News - CBC Player
Old 12-10-2014, 18:00   #141

Boat: 2015 Fountaine Pajot SABA 50

For those that took it seriously... And would like the insurance.. I will tell you what I have done. I am the OP, and this is my last Post on the matter. I have decided to share the idea with you, for your own benefit.. I have decided that it really costs nothing to be a bit prepared, as nothing goes to waste...

And look, it is all just alarming, and not a worry, unless it mutates with a pig virus or avian flue and goes airborne... Then you have about a week to get mobilized at maximum and would be about 48 hours for me if a major airport in my country within 500 kms is compromised..

If you are going to mobilize, my advice is do it now as I have done, and God Speed.. On medications, refrigerate: Now if you explain your concerns to sympathetic Doctors, you will get the perscriptions you need to stock up... I have. They write it to stock you up in several properties so you do not have to transport your meds all the time. They can cover it. Fill the scripts in differing pharmacies. In the bad Avian Flu, I got the inhaler anti virals, no problems. You might have to try a few, but there are Doctors out that that have their own beliefs.. You would be surprised how many are taking steps..

Briefly, I have now covered the bases, three refrigeration systems, five drums of diesel pickled with Defense Industries diesel preservatives, a portable 100 litre 12v freezer for a big fish catch, and some extra solar panels. I also have organic whole wheat in drums, hard red durham, organic brown rice, and the rest of all complete basics all the way out to medical supplies, antibiotics, vitamins, and ammunition (for hunting on small uninhabited islands of course)... Just about everything is covered. Drums are gassed and siliconed down lids. Wheat grass grows quickly and is a good source of greens. It is now all stored indoors in PVC drums. It will be good for years. THIS IS MONEY like in the bank, invested but NOT SPENT.

Look at it this way, it is just like insurance, you do not plan to total your nice vehicle but you carry the comprehensive policy. You do not plan on losing your house but you carry the insurance.. In this case it is like money in the bank, not spent. This is not expensive all up, annual insurance and registration on one of my trucks is about that amount, or the insurance on my yacht, and you cannot eat those policies.. heh he

Good bye on this topic, and good luck... I like the goodies in drums in a garage, it makes me feel good, like money in the bank you can eat. For easy diesel transport, one extra empty drum and pump onto the empty, move down the next one. It is all cheap and easy to do... Trust me, preps like this will cost you less than your annual insurance policies, and I have decided to go for it. The supplies will not be wasted..

Good luck to us all. I have decided to go ahead and mobilize, what have I got to lose? The worst thing would be to wait until it was too late then say I could have done something and did nothing ...

Kind regards from Australia....
Old 13-10-2014, 00:16   #142

Boat: Mac 26X

It's Y2K all over again, with all the same players and all the same results. Ebola sucks. So does the flu. The flu kills more. Just saying. In a year we ought to revisit this thread...but we'll be too busy sailing and enjoying life to bother :-)

Sources: WHO, CDC, Dr Sues
Old 13-10-2014, 02:42   #143

Boat: 42' Colvin Gazelle

Quote:
Dr. Weavis and Dr. Newt,

Ken
I had to deal with a similar issue when my ex was still onboard. what we found was: 1. A lot of the restrictions on getting a large supply of medication is from the insurance companies and can be avoided by paying for them yourself. 2. Other restrictions for some medications are USA federal rules and there are often widely varying rules in other countries, so it pays to shop around. We ended up ordering her medications from Canada, with the bonus of being cheaper, too. Just do your homework and don't economize by buying them from some places known for fake medications, i.e., stick with"first world" sources! It also helps to find a sympathetic doctor who understands the situation and will prescribe larger quantities.
Hope this is some help, it took a lot of research to sort through this so she could travel.
Old 13-10-2014, 05:11   #144

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

This makes me think of the guy that bought the remains of Etap Yachting. Although someone must tell the guy that 2012 is long over...

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 13-10-2014, 05:32   #145
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Someone has to say it.....

Look there is a very large contingent of the educated elite that think we actually need a nice big pandemic to kill off 20-40% of the earths population as a way to save mother earth from the evils of man. Many with this crazy mindset walk the halls of power today with a Paul Ehrlich book in their $1000 designer handbags. They are rooting for Ebola to do what their population bomb scare tactics have failed at...what the master race and eugenics projects of the progressives have failed at...to thin and shape the human herd to a size and composition that their studies and white papers say is a safe carbon neutral carrying capacity of Gia.

Sure it sounds crazy...that's because they are!!
Old 13-10-2014, 05:36   #146
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post

Look there is a very large contingent of the educated elite that think actually need a nice big pandemic to kill off 20-40% of the earths population as a way to save mother earth from the evils of man.
The sad thing with this theory is that the ones promoting it are the ones choosing whom it affects. It aint them.
Old 13-10-2014, 05:51   #147

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
Hela 44. Don't let the trolls get to you. I try to ignore them and it actually helps me in life cuz I realize I don't need to argue with people if I can walk away from them. I'm a prepper for four reasons: first to save money. yep that's right doing prepping properly is money-saving. Second if I get sick or injured like just recently I sprained my ankle and was immobile for 2 months I had no problem eating from my storage for that long( yes I could have gone to the grocery store if I really needed to but it was a good experiment) Third just to have the freedom to travel long distances and go to deserted places. And last and maybe least a "disaster" which can take many forms. With all that wheat I highly recommend you get an EasyGreen sprouter I know they're pricey at $220 on ebay but it will pay for itself in less than a year if you sprout everyday.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20141013_084802.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	352.8 KB
ID:	89643

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20141013_084828.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	353.4 KB
ID:	89644

I've been getting excellent results with wheat grass and sunflower seeds which are both hard to sprout without soil. ( and that's my Everglades perennial tomato plant in the background) PS. It's amazing how powerful wheatgrass juice is. It truly is a tonic. I guess growing your own food is considered prepping these days so that comes to five reasons -eating healthier( canning my own food too both to save money and have healthier higher quality canned food).
Old 13-10-2014, 06:39   #148

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post

Look there is a very large contingent of the educated elite that think we actually need a nice big pandemic to kill off 20-40% of the earths population as a way to save mother earth from the evils of man. Many with this crazy mindset walk the halls of power today with a Paul Ehrlich book in their $1000 designer handbags. They are rooting for Ebola to do what their population bomb scare tactics have failed at...what the master race and eugenics projects of the progressives have failed at...to thin and shape the human herd to a size and composition that their studies and white papers say is a safe carbon neutral carrying capacity of Gia.

Sure it sounds crazy...that's because they are!!

Yepper Rich, someone had to say it. I was going to bring it up myself.

That many think the Gaia Hypothesis is operational here doesn't suggest to me that the elite, as you call them, are rooting for this destruction/reduction in the world population.

I think Gaia makes as much sense as anything else we think we know. Nothing evil or sinister about it as your rant suggests. The gaps in the theory may well be explained by that old saw: we don't know what we don't know.

Re the "population bomb scare tactics," the earth's population has gone from ~2 to 7+ billion with a b in my lifetime of 70 years. Do the math, man. Believing that this can continue indefinitely is crazy if ya don't mind me using your term.

The Gaia hypothesis is still a pretty young theory as these things go. Call me crazy, but I don't think there's a big jump of "faith" from Gaia to well-settled info on evolution. If it isn't this ebola strain or this year's flu or the pollution in the biosphere, stuff keeps happening. We are only limited by our lack of data at this point.

The biological fallout of billions of dead bodies won't be pretty. I don't know anyone who wants to think of or deal with that.
Old 15-10-2014, 19:49   #149

WHY does anyone trust whst the government says. The cdc us clueless obama should have sugned an executive order to stop all flights from affected countries. But thats to late now the gun has been fired. Is it airborn they have no idea because no one at the cdc has a clue. They said it was ok for the infected nurse to fly yet she is in quarantine within 2 hours of her flight. Trust the government and you are going to be disappointed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 15-10-2014, 20:06   #150

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
The biological fallout of billions of dead bodies won't be pretty. I don't know anyone who wants to think of or deal with that.
Returning the oil to the earth?
Closed Thread

Tags
hull, multihull