Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 06:31   #76
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Has anyone considered their Multihull as last refuge in Global Pandemic?

actually we are just mocking the sky is falling mentality.

just look at chicken little.

Old 10-10-2014, 06:32   #77

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I think we are mocking him because we don't want to accept what he is proposing may be true, sort of sticking our heads in the sand.
I've been thinking about it, but my boat isn't nearly ready, no water maker is the biggest thing, but also I'd have to tell the wife, no her parents and brothers are not coming along.

So I guess at least in my case I am too poor

Old 10-10-2014, 06:49   #78

Boat: Catalina 30

It is always in the back of my mind, escaping. Even if no pandemic.

A pandemic is a reason to have a water maker. You can fish and hunt wild hogs on some of the Caribbean islands but getting potable water would be an issue.

Gary
Old 10-10-2014, 06:49   #79
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
The sad thing is that with a half dozen "crop dusters" we could save millions.

Is there a crop "dust" for Ebola?
Old 10-10-2014, 07:02   #80

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
Quote:
I think we are mocking him because we don't want to accept what he is proposing may be true, sort of sticking our heads in the sand.
I've been thinking about it, but my boat isn't nearly ready, no water maker is the biggest thing, but also I'd have to tell the wife, no her parents and brothers are not coming along.

So I guess at least in my case I am too poor
+1. I'm not ready either. But I'm working on rain catchment system right now. I already have a garden and grow sprouts and produce my electricity with solar and wind. It's so hard for me to believe that people that are considered cruisers make fun of people that want 6 months to a year of provisions aboard. You don't have to think of end of world scenarios to want to be prepared. Whether for economic decline or just to be able to be free and sail where you want, Independence is a big atraction of living on a sailboat to me.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:25   #81
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Mother in Law coming with me? That would be enough for me to fend for myself on Land.:P
Old 10-10-2014, 07:27   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Garbone View Post
It is always in the back of my mind, escaping. Even if no pandemic.

I agree with escaping, but for me it's escaping the workaday world, the traffic, customers, employees, etc.

Being prepared is great, but preppers can get really silly really quick. A friend is dating one. Seems like a nice guy, but c'mon it's strange.

He would be furious if I told anyone who he was or that he was a prepper. Too afraid his house will be overrun by the unprepared when it all goes down.

I suppose it says something that he trusted me with that info. Maybe it says that he wants to use my boat if/when the zombies penetrate his perimeter...

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 10-10-2014, 07:31   #83
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

there will be more than 6 folks afflicted before there is a real pandemic.
at this time, the paranoia factor is swelling due to sensational news media.
why dont y'all just relax for a few weeks and watch where this goes. when usa has 100 cases, flee. flee fast, as that will exhibit the fact that NO ONE knows how to treat this stuff..
until then, relax, drink your coffee, and wash your dirty hands before you pick your nose.

ZOMBIES DONT SWIM....( i learned that from an expert on zombies)
Old 10-10-2014, 07:33   #84
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Mother in Law coming with me? That would be enough for me to fend for myself on Land.:P
might be useful for bait though
Old 10-10-2014, 22:08   #85

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Given some of these responses, maybe it's time for a little evolutionary housecleaning. Come on, seven billion apex predators?! (I use the term relatively loosely)

And Helia, check out the black swan principle. Your money probably (statistically speaking) ain't gonna save ya. Most likely it bumps you to the closer to the top of the list. Who knows though, you might get lucky.....
Old 11-10-2014, 05:19   #86

Boat: Gib sea 43

In Africa and places with warmer temperatures, Ebola can survive a few hours out of the body, In cold countries / places or say in a drinks cooler 50 days is the going rate!

They don't have a whole lot of drinks coolers or cold shelves in supermarkets in Africa, or sub 10 degree days where it can live outdoors for weeks.

Much like the common cold , the heat in Africa burns it out for the air/contaminated objects, It won't be the same in the northern hemisphere in winter! Tick TOCK.

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!
Old 11-10-2014, 05:27   #87

PS Think 90%+ mortality among Caucasians with no medical assistance and you will be closer to the truth, does malaria kill >90% ? Some Africans (3-5%) have an immunity 1 in 300 Caucasians are immune.

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!
Old 11-10-2014, 05:47   #88

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helia 44 View Post
Well, about 80% silly responses. I for one will not put anything serious like this on the Forum again. I guess the mockery is because most cannot afford to do anything about such a situation. I am Blessed to be able to, either in the mountains, Outback, or anchored off some little island.

To enlighten the few serious Responders: The Human Body is not a very good Host for such an organism. Due to the frequency of global travel in 24 hours, a mutated contagion could be at near a global perspective in a very short time, like even a week; but it would also burn out in a very short time. Such a Pandemic is unlikely to last more than six months and pretty much be gone. I thought this was a reasonable feasibility study, with the Cat as a private isolation ward with a very good lifestyle.

With thousands of little islands off eastern Australia, I for one thought it was reasonable. Obviously it is just a big joke to the majority, but the majority of people would suffer because they could not do anything about it but mock such educated ideas. Each major turn like this in history catches a majority of the population on the wrong side of the fence. I am sorry I put this Post up, when so many just make a joke of it. Good luck to you.

In truth, living in a little marina somewhere, they probably cannot afford to do otherwise. I thought this was a reasonable assessment of the situation, and the ability to go into isolation anchored off-shore near an island was a reasonable possibility. But again, it looks like the majority are not reasonable. I could also go into isolation quite comfortably on land, it is just that the Cat seemed even better. I thought this might stimulate a feasibility study on the idea, but it has only brought out the mockers.

As to one legitimate comment that it comes to multihull or monohull again, I was just thinking in terms of the reserve buoyancy of two hulls. Anyway, good luck to you all. I hope you don't need it, but the odds are against it in the face of deteriorating global conditions.

Adios, Helia 44, I am gone
Yep you're right...too poor and uneducated to do any thing but laugh....
Old 11-10-2014, 06:03   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
there will be more than 6 folks afflicted before there is a real pandemic.
at this time, the paranoia factor is swelling due to sensational news media.
why dont y'all just relax for a few weeks and watch where this goes. when usa has 100 cases, flee. flee fast, as that will exhibit the fact that NO ONE knows how to treat this stuff..
until then, relax, drink your coffee, and wash your dirty hands before you pick your nose.

ZOMBIES DONT SWIM....( i learned that from an expert on zombies)
Agree. The cat is out of the bag, but we have no idea right now how it will progress. Most concerned people are just frustrated with all the conflicting information coming from the news, CDC, and Wash.DC. We will all know pretty soon I guess.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:26   #90

Believe it or not we are about 10 months into the current outbreak, with no end in sight, with the current reproduction rate and no major containment action we will be in deep diddly sh*t this time next year, the only thing that is going to stop it now is a vaccine and they are far from approved /working and available immediately.

The real number of cases is anywhere from 20k to 40k, doubling every month, give or take, It is not difficult do the numbers!

Closed Thread

Tags
hull, multihull

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: