Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 05:33   #16
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410
Re: Has anyone considered their Multihull as last refuge in Global Pandemic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
While I don't know about using a sailboat for long term survival, long enough to outlast a bad outbreak, I do think using a sailboat to get to a predestined bug out spot is a good idea. Someplace remote, where you have a land base and connections and are welcome. Luckily I have such options. They are a big reason why we have the boats we have.
watched a zombie movie with that theme once, they got to the boat and made it to the island only to find ....................... zombies

so the research is already done and you need to plan to stay out forever

Old 09-10-2014, 05:49   #17

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I think it's funny that right at the first post it had to be a multi vs mono thing

Need to bring guns into it don't we?

I've watched this "prepper" show on TV once or twice, only one of the nuts thought about a boat, but I can see where a boat may be the ideal apocalypse retreat, until you get sick anyway

On edit, anyone who won't admit to at least having thought about it, isn't telling the truth
Thought about it? Yes.....Prepare for it? No...

Old 09-10-2014, 05:55   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1977 View Post
Thought about it? Yes.....Prepare for it? No...
That's where I'm at, but you know if this thing gets bad.
At least I'm not stuck in some kind of apt in a major city, my biggest problem is I have three kids and two grand kids, be tough on a 38' boat.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:11   #19

Yes, you are crazy.

Lock yourself in your home. Your odds of getting killed in a car (or falling in the tub) are a million times greater than the pandemic you fear.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:11   #20

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
That's where I'm at, but you know if this thing gets bad.
At least I'm not stuck in some kind of apt in a major city, my biggest problem is I have three kids and two grand kids, be tough on a 38' boat.
I have 4 kids and a wife......on a 26ft... I think I will just take the Ebola...
Old 09-10-2014, 06:14   #21
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeakie View Post
Hi Helia,

There is a failure of imagination as to how bad it will be when a highly infectious and virulent pathogenic pandemic gets going,
You must not watch many movies
Category:Films about viral outbreaks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think imaginations have been pretty active about pandemic's. What we haven't done well is spend much money on preparation and research. There have been too many other important projects for the governments of the world.

Using our boats is an instinctive idea but I doubt we will find many places we will be really alone and remote and probably as Weavis said, would make a good target for heavily armed land pirates

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/palarran/
Old 09-10-2014, 06:14   #22
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Na...the CDC and Govnt can be trusted...
Just ask the Blacks that were intentially not treated for STDs as a little Govnt R&D project to find out what will happen. Do we really need to make a Historical list when for when trusting the Government didn't work out so well.....really.....what rock are some of you guys living under? Those FEMA camps and military gear going to local law enforcement along with the Department of Education having a SWAT team ain't to keep you safe but to keep you in control...now danm it....where is that roll o tin foil...they fly over in 15 minutes for the daily brain scan and foil keeps them from reading my thoughts....well that and the rum.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:24   #23

Like was said earlier, bring your guns, catamaran all the way enough room to mount a turret on the bow. Would probably take an extra anchor and chain (no maybe just rode) on this one. (Any opinions on second anchor? ) better take that celestial course right away before they shoot down all the satilights! I AM SO GLAD I AM NOT 18 AGAIN....

Sent from my SM-G900P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 09-10-2014, 06:27   #24

Oh and also it happened once before, but that was a flood..lets hijack the largest ship we can find and start loading the animals 2 x 2. Some one has to do it.

Old 09-10-2014, 06:33   #25

Boat: Checkmate Strobe 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helia 44 View Post
Hello Sailing Friends,

Some will think me Paranoid, that is OK... Know that while everyone is trivializing this in the Media, the world is getting more vulnerable to some pandemic virus due to overcrowding, poor water sources and hygiene, with slums of 25 Million and sewerage running in the streets.. You should probably be advised: That if something like this Ebola mutated with some Pig Flu or Bird Flu, an Airborne Transmitted Virus by a coughing person at an airport could spread on an exponential transmission rate that would stagger history. I mean it would be an explosion of 500, then 5000, then 50,000 and the airports and economies would shut down globally in a Pandemic that could rage for six months...

I am thinking, a ton of provisions in each hull, would only drop my waterline maybe two inches? A water maker and spares, a couple of extra drums of diesel, solar, rain collection, fishing gear, and more..... I mean "Coastal Cruising" to remoter areas and islands, might be an isolation method better than on shore..??? Wheat grass, small veg trays, I mean yes, (you would have to maintain security and stand watches, and be able to effectively deter boarders at a distance..) That aside, does anyone else think this way? Or am I just crazy..

You will not offend me, it is ok.. And I am not a worrier, I live Life to the fullest.. I am just the sort that likes the Dale Carnegie position "How to Stop Worrying and Start Living" in that you envision the worst case scenario, prepare to some degree, and then you can forget about it... Just like if you have insurance you don't plan on losing your house and car, but insurance is comforting.. On the Bird Flu time I stocked up on the relative treatment Anti-Virals, but isolation when contemplated seemed unattainable. Would any of you consider your yacht as the final stand for yourselves and immediate Family?

Kind regards, Helia 44... Just thought a Multihull might be ideal??
I think it's a great idea. If I had the funds I would have way more prepared then I do. As long as you don't let it consume your life and ruin your marriage you're good. I am a little bit of a "prepper" but more in the sense of having a smaller store of food and having alot of the gear I need (which i acquired when i was a wilderness guide) to survive/ take what I need. Having a place to take those things and live in isolation (you're catamaran) is just icing on the cake. Have supplies that can sustain you and a plan just in case to protect your family is more sane to me then putting one's head in the sand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Kool!
Could you add some spare water filters as well and a multifuel stove? When I come to take your boat off you I want it properly set up..
Funny thing about this is I have a friend the is a LEO and I was talking to him about being "prepared" and he told me he wasn't worried at all because his neighbor was a huge prepper. He said half joking but serious enough to make me think that if things go bad he'll just shoot his neighbor and take his stuff, so he's as prepared as he needs to be.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:34   #26

Boat: 1968 Hinterhoel Redwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailingcouple13
Oh and also it happened once before, but that was a flood..lets hijack the largest ship we can find and start loading the animals 2 x 2. Some one has to do it.

I would have referenced the black plague.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:02   #27
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

By the time we realize that a flu or other 'pandemic' is truly upon us, it will probably already be too late to load up and take off. If you have not already come into contact with someone carrying the virus, you will be at risk of doing so when picking up some last minute things at stores, at your marina, at customs/immigration before your departure. Indeed, once the decision is made do you ignore a safe weather window, or would you put yourself and your family in harm's way in order to get out of harm's way?

Furthermore, what is to say that you (or one of your loved ones) hasn't already contracted it, but not yet become symptomatic? If they had, being cooped up in a boat with them will guarantee that all of you will also contract it and do so without access to medical care/specialized medicines, etc. Additonally, if all of the crew are violently ill, who will sail the boat? And who will allow any of you, now showing symptoms, to make a landfall in their country?

If you were already cruising in a relatively isolated area where there had not yet been anyone diagnosed with the pandemic, you might be able to attempt to pull it off by anchoring out and refusing contact with anyone else. Of course, that won't be easy if there are any other people in the vicinity, will it? I guess you could always try to shoot locals who come out in boats to try to trade or panhandle.
Of course, if the police/coast guard then attempted to board you for killing locals (or just for overstaying your visa) you would have to shoot them as well.

Brad
Old 09-10-2014, 07:15   #28

Boat: having an Isara 45 cat built

I've designed our new boat to be self-sustainable with the idea that I don't want to be required to go to land to get fuel for the boat or dinghy, to fill up with water, charge my batteries or do our laundry. I want to go to land because I WANT TO...not because I have to. So no L.P. (propane) on board, a solar charged electric dinghy, very large solar and battery bank, hybrid diesel/electric propulsion that acts as hydro-generators under sail, and a washer/dryer unit onboard. And as someone else mentioned, a water maker with spares and fishing gear.
If something happened (disease or other), then I'll happily stay aboard and defend my floating home with vigor. Even if your stored food ran out, you could live well on seafood and water.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:19   #29
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I don't think it's paranoid to realise you are going to die. These diseases are spreading rapidly but you only hear of the few cases of Ebola because the Government doesn't want to cause panic. But not only Ebola but all the flu's, avian, swine (thanks Christians!), etc. but even at sea you will NOT be safe because of Fish Flu. Its real, and frightening, and has come from west coast Africa, check Google for its expansion zone, its quite incredible on it infection rate because fish are free to move. Again the Governments refuse to confirm it! I *know* the CIA is working on it because I've been told the Operatives were offered the choice of spying against ISIS in Syria or going to the tropics and watching for fish to cough.
Some university in New Zealand just came out with a study showing Fish Flu is not neutralised by canning, so all canned fish in the supermarkets right now could be tinned death on a cracker! And you won't find that research either! It was on the internet for about 3 days then dissapeared. I read it but stupidly did not copy the PDF to my computer as I read it on the dum iPad.

So how the hell are you going to know when fishing which fish has it? You won't! Because all fish gulp when you land them. So the only way is to spear fish so you can check for the fish to cough before jabbing the bastard.

Take care!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 09-10-2014, 07:25   #30

Boat: Checkmate Strobe 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
By the time we realize that a flu or other 'pandemic' is truly upon us, it will probably already be too late to load up and take off. If you have not already come into contact with someone carrying the virus, you will be at risk of doing so when picking up some last minute things at stores, at your marina, at customs/immigration before your departure. Indeed, once the decision is made do you ignore a safe weather window, or would you put yourself and your family in harm's way in order to get out of harm's way?

Furthermore, what is to say that you (or one of your loved ones) hasn't already contracted it, but not yet become symptomatic? If they had, being cooped up in a boat with them will guarantee that all of you will also contract it and do so without access to medical care/specialized medicines, etc. Additonally, if all of the crew are violently ill, who will sail the boat? And who will allow any of you, now showing symptoms, to make a landfall in their country?

If you were already cruising in a relatively isolated area where there had not yet been anyone diagnosed with the pandemic, you might be able to attempt to pull it off by anchoring out and refusing contact with anyone else. Of course, that won't be easy if there are any other people in the vicinity, will it? I guess you could always try to shoot locals who come out in boats to try and trade or panhandle.
Of course, if the police/coast guard then attempted to board you for killing locals (or just for overstaying your visa) you would have to shoot them as well.

Brad
All valid points. You are right the odds for getting on board in time are small. However staying in an infected area offers you almost no chance. So why not give yourself a fighting chance?

I can tell you if I lived in certain African countries right now and couldn't travel too far I would be very tempted to anchor off shore for a while if I had the ability.

Also I think you are over thinking the "getting away" aspect. I don't believe the OP was talking about running to foreign lands. Just getting a barrier of water between you and the problem. That could mean sailing off in the distance or just throwing out a hook where people can't get to you. Also to help scare people away try spray painting the word "infected" on a bed sheet and hang it over the side. Will probably keep most people second guessing anyways.

Closed Thread

Tags
hull, multihull

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: