Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Old 24-10-2014, 09:45   #166

Boat: Checkmate Strobe 201
Re: Has anyone considered their Multihull as last refuge in Global Pandemic?

Actually a Cat would be a great platform for doing a modified version of this fortress. Now that I think of it the Flyin Hawaiian would serve that purpose perfectly. Anyone know if it's been scrapped yet. I now have a great winter project to keep me occupied

ZFC-1 Log Cabin | 44mm Log Cabins

Old 27-10-2014, 05:19   #167
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

follow these directions if you what it to work:

thou shalt make it of… the length of the ark shall be three hundred cubits, the breadth of it fifty cubits, and the height of it thirty cubits. A window shalt thou make in the ark, and in a cubit shalt thou finish it above; and the door of the ark shalt thou set in the side therof; with lower, second, and third stories shalt thou make it

Old 08-11-2014, 18:56   #168

Boat: Voyage 440 Owners Version

Thank you Hela for your post.
It is nice to know I am not alone.
I am a physician who has been recently trained in Ebola at my hospital which happens to be a large Trauma Center.
The training I received was a joke and it is constantly changing. The "experts" cannot answer the simplest questions.
Sometime ago we had a patient who was suspicious for MERS and we tried getting in touch with someone from our state health system and the CDC. my secretary spent about an hour on the phone only to be eventually connected to a recorded message on Obamacare!
Have a friend who has a Ph.D in Virology and has studied the Ebola virus. They are very very concerned about the sequence of events and have a plan for their family to take evasive action if the need arises.
I am not reactionary however not to be concerned about this disease, the so called experts and the way our own government has handled it so far is nothing short of being foolhardy to say the least.
May I suggest those naysayers to google The Spanish Flu of 1918 to get an idea of what can happen.
Yes I am aware that was the Flu and this is Ebola.......whatever that means.
So I will be ready to set sail when the time comes, just hope it can wait till it gets warmer
Old 08-11-2014, 19:30   #169

"May I suggest those naysayers to google The Spanish Flu of 1918 to get an idea of what can happen.
Yes I am aware that was the Flu and this is Ebola.......whatever that means."

With respect, as a physician you should know the answer to "whatever that means". It means that the transmisibility of Ebola is orders of magnitude lower than influenza, and therefore the rate of spread is dramatically different, which in turn means the Pandemic potential for Ebola is much less than that of influenza.

The H5N1 bird flu had a case fatality ratio (CFR) approaching that of Ebola, especially for children, and all it lacked was the upper respiratory infection gene. If it had evolved that, we would have been in deep doo doo.

Of course now they have done the gene research on how to make the H5N1 more infectious and published the results, so we now await the escape of such organisms into the environment, either accidentally or otherwise.

Point being, it is not irrational to have a prepper mindset. Consider it insurance & the best strategy remains to be able to get as far away from others as possible with the self sustaining elements all in place.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:59   #170

Boat: Cal 29

Couple of good posts. Thanks gents.

I think we're fortunate that the ebola cases here in the US apparently were contained. This time.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:03   #171
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeakie View Post

Point being, it is not irrational to have a prepper mindset. Consider it insurance & the best strategy remains to be able to get as far away from others as possible with the self sustaining elements all in place.
Yes, good insurance. And many of us here have capable boats.

I never understand why the "insurance" outlook brings such derision. From some quarters.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:04   #172

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post

I never understand why the "insurance" outlook brings such derision. From some quarters.
2 reasons. 1 many people have made payments for years and years and then make a claim and the insurance company gets out of paying. 2 after paying years and years of insurance you could have practically bought a new boat. But as far as Insurance meaning being prepared for the worst I too don't understand why more people don't take it seriously and aren't better prepared. Or like you said- the outlook brings such derision.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:15   #173
One of Those

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Catalac 12M

I just went through my first serious insurance claim. Lightning strike. It took over a year to get payment, and in the meantime I had to go ahead and make the repairs myself. I didn't bother renewing the insurance after that. I think it's worth the gamble, and the insurance is not that great a deal financially. You're going to pay the cost of most repairs many times over in your premium. Better to just pay the repairs as they happen.

The gamble is, of course, losing the whole boat. How many times a year does THAT happen?
Old 09-11-2014, 08:45   #174

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
I just went through my first serious insurance claim. Lightning strike. It took over a year to get payment, and in the meantime I had to go ahead and make the repairs myself. I didn't bother renewing the insurance after that. I think it's worth the gamble, and the insurance is not that great a deal financially. You're going to pay the cost of most repairs many times over in your premium. Better to just pay the repairs as they happen.

The gamble is, of course, losing the whole boat. How many times a year does THAT happen?
I carry minimum legal required insurance on most assets except for my house. Even then, it is significantly overinsured, which I told the insurance company, but they insist their "Replacement Calculator" means I have to pay a premium based on a value $100K higher than reality. I used to rent an office from an insurance broker friend of mine. It would surprise you how many clients he cancelled as he considered them to risky and that potential claims would mean he was not getting enough bonus from his insurance companies.

One example, a lady in her 50's, perfect driving record, twice was hit by a driver going through a red light. Not her fault at all. The incidents were 1 1/2 years apart. He cancelled her, and as it was noted on whatever interchange the brokers used, and she had to pay a much higher premium.

Fair? Nope. Ethical? Nope. But that's the insurance business I guess.
Old 09-11-2014, 15:34   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Yes, good insurance. And many of us here have capable boats.

As always, consider the source(s). The folks on this thread having the most fun are the frequent posters with very little to say; rarely correct, never in doubt.
Old 09-11-2014, 15:38   #176
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
As always, consider the source(s). The folks on this thread having the most fun are the frequent posters with very little to say; rarely correct, never in doubt.

If they had little to say they would not be frequent posters.

Coops.
Old 09-11-2014, 16:00   #177

pirate Re: Has anyone considered their Multihull as last refuge in Global Pandemic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
If they had little to say they would not be frequent posters.

Coops.

My error Coops. I meant to say "little of value."
Old 09-11-2014, 17:15   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by caradow View Post
Thank you Hela for your post.
It is nice to know I am not alone.
I am a physician who has been recently trained in Ebola at my hospital which happens to be a large Trauma Center.
The training I received was a joke and it is constantly changing. The "experts" cannot answer the simplest questions.
Sometime ago we had a patient who was suspicious for MERS and we tried getting in touch with someone from our state health system and the CDC. my secretary spent about an hour on the phone only to be eventually connected to a recorded message on Obamacare!
Have a friend who has a Ph.D in Virology and has studied the Ebola virus. They are very very concerned about the sequence of events and have a plan for their family to take evasive action if the need arises.
I am not reactionary however not to be concerned about this disease, the so called experts and the way our own government has handled it so far is nothing short of being foolhardy to say the least.
May I suggest those naysayers to google The Spanish Flu of 1918 to get an idea of what can happen.
Yes I am aware that was the Flu and this is Ebola.......whatever that means.
So I will be ready to set sail when the time comes, just hope it can wait till it gets warmer
Hello Doctor Caradow,
Helia 44 here, I was not going to respond to anymore on this Topic, but out of appreciation for your Post, I will make a few additional points:

I do a bit of study on these things, I mean I am a bit of a "Prepper" but the TV Shows have made a total mockery of the whole concept. This will be unfortunate for those that live hand to mouth with no reserves.. Nuff said...

With Ebola specifically, as you know these viruses can continually mutate. The problem is very containable right now. However, if some one with a Avian or Pig Flu Virus gets Ebola and it mutates to "Airborne" status, we have an instant global crisis that cannot be contained. No one wants to talk about the deadly flu virus of 1918 that killed over 20 million people, more than all of WWI, as they came home on transport ships... Now we have global transport flights of 1000's per hour that could spread it globally in 48 hours before we hardly recognized it.. It could come from something as simple as someone of reasonable wealth with early symptoms, that could smuggle themselves into a Western Civilized Medical System for better care, and go global in a week..

Doctor, I am simply amazed, that with slums of raw sewage in the streets of massive population density of 25 million outside of Mexico City, 20 million outside of Rio, and countless slums of that size in places like India, that it has not happened already. I could easily isolate my family on an Outback horse and cattle property in Australia, but if I left the Helia 44 in a total economic meltdown that would happen, someone else would just steal it. A Global Pandemic like this would burn itself out in 6-12 months, as the Human body is too fragile and not a very good host. All those that could catch it would burn out quickly and the disease would likely disappear in that amount of time.

I already have supplies, diesel, meds, ammo, etc stockpiled in storage, and would load it all aboard at the first sign of airborne transmission encompassing any major airports.. I have spares for my water maker, and a rain water collection system... I have an extra 100 litres of diesel in plasic jerry cans sitting in an unused locker, but in storage I have 5 200 litre drums of pickled diesel.. Get the idea? If it did not work out Cruising for isolation for some reason, I can always come back to go land bound after the bulk of the crisis had passed. With my props off, and key engine components stripped, there is a chance my boat would survive behind our house then..

Look, the Mockers and Knockers will be the first to go into meltdown panic mode... heh he.. I think this should be thought of as "Cheap Insurance". I mean you have full comprehensive insurance on your new car, but you are not planning on totally wrecking it are you? Heh he...

Kind regards, and yes, I have taken the first step of prepping... I am Blessed and can own and maintain my own Lifeboat on the Titanic of world civilization. Good luck Doctor, and no, you are not crazy either...
Old 19-01-2015, 05:27   #179

Boat: Jim Michalak designed 25' Caprice and Self Design 32' Shantymaran
Way back on one of these threads I said "sounds a lot like Y2K". As Ebola treatment centers go unused in Africa, built at our expense as the outbreak was winding down, and the west is counting Ebola deaths with their fingers, I'm gonna go ahead and say...

I told you so.

Now get back to sailing!
Old 19-01-2015, 06:13   #180

pirate Re: Has anyone considered their Multihull as last refuge in Global Pandemic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGatoGordo View Post
Way back on one of these threads I said "sounds a lot like Y2K". As Ebola treatment centers go unused in Africa, built at our expense as the outbreak was winding down, and the west is counting Ebola deaths with their fingers, I'm gonna go ahead and say...

I told you so.

Now get back to sailing!

I am happy to say I was wrong this time. I've read too many books.

Tags
hull, multihull

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: