Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2011, 07:17   #46

Boat: 1978 Marine Trader 36
Re: Grrrrrr!! Work Rant !

Quote:
Originally Posted by BareFtGrl View Post
Daddle...that's exactly where I am right now. We have only a 25ft boat but it's sooo sooo tempting. I've been getting rid of everything I can...even taking those expensive items off to the goodwill. I have only $2000 of debt left as I've been paying everything with increased diligence. I guess I just need a push in the right direction in the form of support from others who have been there. The unknown is so scary when it's been ingraned in to you about "planning" for the future, although I do recall my happiest days were when all I had was a bike and a room. Just would like to have a bigger "room" than 25 ft, and how do I pay to live and eat?
You can manage on a 25ft boat, we do. Wanting a hugh floating palace is still the landlife thought patern. Think minimalist for a while. We moved aboard our 25 last November. We still have to stop and work once in a while. Although with this last job (3 months) we should be set for at least 12 to 14 months. Our blog will give you a little insight to living on a 25 footer.

Good luck, and make the jump. You won't regret it.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:34   #47

Boat: 1991 Hunter Vision 36

BareFtGrl, you are way ahead of me. I'm still working on paying off debt. I completely agree with you and in fact live in your area as well. The environment has become extremely hostile and nasty fro crazy economic swings. Can't wait to hop on our boat and take off. Sadly we have to work on the debt part. That anchors us to land. I never realized what a scam credit is or mortgage on a house is. Further, work increasingly demands doing more with less staff. Lower the overhead and increase production. There is a point at which this formula reaches far diminished returns and I thnk it is fast approaching. Hang in there and know you are far from the only one to experience such frustrations. The great thing you have going for you is you have a means of escape. Work on that, focus, and do it. The scariest thing is to look around and see these lifers working for 30 years somewhere and never LIVING. It makes me cringe. You can never go wrong when you have a plan, and others will be envious. Hope to see you make it away from the dock more often to de-stress I'll be right behind you as soon as possible
sj01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 13:18   #48
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj01 View Post
I never realized what a scam credit is or mortgage on a house is.
I'm not sure "scam" is the right word.

I do suppose living in debt is the American Way, these days. One day, you wake up and realize what a hole you have dug for yourself. Then, it's a long, hard, slog, to dig yourself out.
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 13:26   #49

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

Car loan ~ 15K
House ~ 100K
Credit and other =$0.00
Sell house, sell car, total debt = $0.00
Positive cash > what I need.
Old 02-10-2011, 14:39   #50

Boat: Hunter Cherubini 25'

I'm so close to killing the debt off. Took me the better part of 20 years to get here though. Partially because I didn't even really focus on paying it off until a few years ago. I can live with the little bit of debt...it's the JOB that sucks my life away. The stress is unbelievable and the amount of down time I get just doesn't suffice to give me rest and peace of mind. I only get every other weekend off so that really cuts into my time out on the water <- the best way for me to refresh and regroup for the next week's workload. I'll manage but it's a hard thing to suffer through sometimes. But we have a goal...and we WILL see it achieved! The most frustrating thing though, is to continue to watch the board members make lousy business decisions that cause both employees and customers to become unhappy. Seems like they stick together though...if one company starts to deal in such a way, the competitor picks up the same crappy business practice. As a customer/patient...you just get to pick which company you'd prefer to treat you like crud.
BareFtGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 14:41   #51

Don1500

You are a man in a place where I long to be!
Old 02-10-2011, 15:37   #52

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post
Car loan ~ 15K
House ~ 100K
Credit and other =$0.00
Sell house, sell car, total debt = $0.00
Positive cash > what I need.
Depending upon whether your "100K" is the current value of the house on today's market or not - you may only get half as much as you hope. You're in California, but here in Florida the housing market prices are down over 50% from before the "bubble burst."
- - So you might only get enough to pay off the car and buy a supply of beer and rum for the boat. . . But, heh - what else do you need?
- - But anyway, IMHO, it is going to get worse before it gets better in the labor markets. There is normally a lag between the time when the "brilliant" bean counters in a big company get an idea and it fully is implemented and causes massive further loses.
- - In the medical world, I have a friend who is doing their internship/residency requirement - and - now they have to pay for the privilege rather than getting paid for their work. Times are a changing . . .

Here is a graph from Wiki on the Home Prices Index:
Attached Images

osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 15:46   #53

Boat: a sailing boat

I am ever again surprised to read, here, and elsewhere, and learn how many people believe that once they pay up/sell/rent the house and move onboard something in their life will change. To such people I say yes what will change you will substitute one form of stress with another form of the same stress.

And why people chose to live life in stress is beyond me but it looks like to some of us this kind of life is what we want and what we will create no matter where we find ourselves. Then them stress-sucklers will come along and try to share their stress with others, like asking: do you think the hurricane is acoming, or: how can you cruise without health/boat/whatever insurance/EPIRB/VHF license/10 years of courses and preparations/in such a small boat.

To such people I say stay where you are and please do not make the dense situation in marinas even more dense. Please stay ashore and leave my favourite atolls well alone. No, local people do not need your T-shirts, No, they do dot need solar panels and desalinators, PLS - do NOT contribute. They were happy before you came, they had their own stress to manage and the did very well at that.

But oh who will ever listen?

To all those who are overstressed by their own choices, credits/cars/families/relationships/jobs I say sit down, think about it and solve your problems one by one, ashore, and find the way of living that makes you happy. Because it is all within our heads and our choices, not on a boat in a remote paradise atoll.

To some it comes early and to others never. Stop collecting. Collecting is for the future and no-one knows if and what the future holds. Find now.

Once in chains it is easier said than done but remember we put the chains on our own necks with our own hands.

The wind blows and the sailor goes, just like that tumbleweed.

You want to sail the world? Make good choices. Chose to be the tumbleweed.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 17:13   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Depending upon whether your "100K" is the current value of the house on today's market or not - you may only get half as much as you hope.
The house is already sold for (only) 2 times what I paid in '97. I will be clearing plenty. The 100K is what it will take to pay off the mortgage.

What I need < what I got. I'm ready to go, I have handed in my resignation effective Dec 1st, just waiting for (The government ordered re. Eminent Domain) closing and I'm gone!

Yes, I am in a good spot.
Old 02-10-2011, 17:43   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

I'm right there with you Don.... I don't owe squat to anyone, have money in the bank, and all the requisite toys, and as of yesterday, have less than 24 months to go on the man's payroll... And even that is subject to change on 30 day's notice.... BUT for each year I hang in there, I improve my monthly retirement income by $1k... Hard to cut the string!
Old 02-10-2011, 17:48   #56

I don't think I could take another 24 months. I don't live close enough to the water, and it's not the water I want to sail in anyway.
Old 02-10-2011, 17:55   #57

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post
I don't think I could take another 24 months. I don't live close enough to the water, and it's not the water I want to sail in anyway.
Land cruising? or sea/ocean cruising? Or just a nicer place to live than where you are . . . Either way, you now have a lot of posters envious . . . Good luck.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 17:58   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

That's the 30 day notice thing.... I need 30 days to convert my nest egg into a REIT without a huge tax penalty.... KNOWING that all you really need to suck up the BS is for 30 days goes a long way to one's mental health.
Old 02-10-2011, 18:23   #59

Twice I had to cancel my reply because it was another burst of frustration. Ever done that?
Old 02-10-2011, 19:08   #60

All the M#$TH@R F*%k*$ time! I write three page responses to one word questions just to vent.