Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2011, 21:00   #1

Boat: Hunter Cherubini 25'
Angry Grrrrrr!! Work Rant !

So I work in a Walgreen's pharmacy (Sr. pharmacy tech). And I swear some days that it'll be my last day because they keep us trimmed down to the lowest possible staffing situation all the while piling more an more new "ideas" or reports to keep up on and I'm going to either have a breakdown, get really sick, or have a heart attack (thank you super stress!) I did my understudy for pharmacy but became disenchanted after working 4years. But my husband was laid off from the hospital he was working at, at the time, for 2 years and I had to pull in the income because we (then) had a daughter going off to college. Long story short...hubby is working again, daughter got her associates (now going off to the Coast Guard), and I feel trapped in my job. I've been with WAG nearly 10 years now and all I want to do is get AWAY from this corporate mess! The public can be so nasty and that hurts me still because I really try my best for everyone and it's rarely appreciated. What (I thought) was a satisfying career is no such thing. We bought a boat to temporarily sail away from the madness. But I feel the constant, self inflicted pressure to get the bigger boat, move aboard, and remove myself from the unkindness of most of humanity.
How can I get to the freedom I long for? The work environment is not what they told us it would be when I was growing up and it's getting worse. I wish on every star that I could begin a new working environment that revolves around the water and cruising/boating. Dealing with the public in a medical related field (my hubby too) is so hard..people are so nasty to one another. I love the warmth I feel when I'm with other water people. I yearn for it to begin now and remain for eternity!
I hate my job!
Anyone else feel this way?
BareFtGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 21:13   #2

Re: Grrrrrr!! Work rant!

Ugh. That's bleak. I'd quit the job. Rid yourself of all the trappings of the dreary situation you find yourself in. Unload the cars, clothes, memberships, houses. Tell the creditors "tough luck." Do it today. Move onto the boat. Sail away if possible. Live in the moment.

Takes courage and a little bit of cash.

Good luck.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 21:31   #3

Boat: Hunter Cherubini 25'
Daddle...that's exactly where I am right now. We have only a 25ft boat but it's sooo sooo tempting. I've been getting rid of everything I can...even taking those expensive items off to the goodwill. I have only $2000 of debt left as I've been paying everything with increased diligence. I guess I just need a push in the right direction in the form of support from others who have been there. The unknown is so scary when it's been ingraned in to you about "planning" for the future, although I do recall my happiest days were when all I had was a bike and a room. Just would like to have a bigger "room" than 25 ft, and how do I pay to live and eat?
BareFtGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 21:40   #4

Boat: looking

Although my career ended due to injuries, I've had to deal with the nightmare that is our local Workers Compensation Board. After much financial loss & large investments in legal & medical opinions, I decided that I couldn't control the deficiencies in my physical strength, but I could choose to protect my mental health, by giving priority to the other aspects of life. While I do have to continue to deal with the frustrations of the "gamesmanship" of the WCB, I "tune out" the headaches when on my boat. So far I've lost little & gained much, as a result.

Unfortunately for yourself, there is the added burden of the economic situation in your area, but, if you could walk away from the pressure tomorrow & survive financially in the future, I say, "Do it!" Not an easy situation you're dealing with, obviously, and your health is more important than work. Best of luck with this!
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 22:33   #5

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

Sold the house, closed the shop,
bought a van to the east coast,
soon I sail, life's begun, I'm away.
Old 22-09-2011, 00:13   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BareFtGrl View Post
So I work in a Walgreen's pharmacy (Sr. pharmacy tech). And I swear some days that it'll be my last day because they keep us trimmed down to the lowest possible staffing situation all the while piling more an more new "ideas" or reports to keep up on and I'm going to either have a breakdown, get really sick, or have a heart attack (thank you super stress!) ...
That's the the 'man' trying to extract all it can from a 'resource.' Knowing you can leave it must make a real difference in your outlook. Think like a sailor and try to make the most of the wind while have it to get into the credit zone. Likely you will end up with better 'liquidity' in the end than the corporate people waster you mentioned.
RigelKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 01:36   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 01:53   #8

Boat: Liberty 458
I hear you. I find the absurdity of many businesses to be not only sole destroying but regressive. My wife and have got rid of most of the debt of just living and will of sailing permanently by sep 2012.

Set yourself a date ans just keep chipping away each day and go with what you have.
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 01:57   #9

I quit my well paying office job because everyday I wanted to firebomb my stupid no-sited shhh-for-brains coworkers. I'm currently learning how to weld through a union. Its much tougher work, but no dealing with office ducks who are so convinced of their superiority. I'm changing my lifestyle NOW while saving to get the %$& out of Dodge.
I used to wait tables. Dealing with ahole customers is soooo much easier when you can hang your wang in their cups before you serve them. Or worse.
I feel your pain. It sucks.
Chin up, chest out, march on. You'll make it through.
spostamento nobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 04:10   #10

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Hey we know your pain, we cant wait to do it, just will be about 3-4 years. Even though so many of the people you deal with are nasty mean unhappy people, you do a GREAT job and make so many others smile! My Wife says sooo! . I view work as the necessary evil to support my drug addiction, SAILING!!! Dont hurry yet on the bigger boat, Have fun for the now with the little one and learn all you can. They are much more forgiving, and cost less to fix hehe plus its not That small,,,
I sit here myself, now 1000's of miles from home missing my wife and dogs, and will do the same next week, and the next, and the next, and wish I could be there, and on the boat
but someday soon will come........and it will for you too!
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 04:59   #11
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

Money may not buy you happiness, but it can bring some comfort. Since you're doing a fine job of knocking down debts, then I have a suggestion.

This is what I did. I took my office wall, and tacked up 100s of pictures of my life. Most of it sailing, and places I sailed to. These were my reminder of what laid in store for me. They made me determined to meet my goal.

Keep knocking down the debt, and live as frugal as possible. You set a date, and what you want to spend for a boat in cash. You meet these 2 criteria, and in the meantime get a captain's license if you want to make money on the boat. There are plenty of ways to make money in the states, or some where exotic. One example are charters in the San Blas from Colon, or Cartegena.

I have seen rickety worn out boats doing well at this. Once again you will be dealing with the public, and that won't change. You will be where you want to be. You can't run away from people, and make money too. You can't run away from your problems, but you sure as hell can make a lot of adjustments that make it worthwhile. There are a lot of options, so set your goals tonight, or very very soon. Soon you will see the light at the end of the tunnel, and it will be easier to be patient........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 05:41   #12

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

My house is sold, I have turned in my letter of resignation, I am only waiting for the house to close, then I am gone.

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...17635995_n.jpg
Old 22-09-2011, 06:01   #13

Boat: 1986 aloa 27 - KAVALA

if you don't quit now ... you won't quit ever ...trust me I am in the same shoes as you.. and I too have a son that goes to college..but unfortunately a wife that cannot spend more than a day on the water
there is not one day that goes by that I do not regret my decision to hang on to my well paid land life and cope with its every day hassle...
the short sailing week ends that I spend on my boat do not compare to the cruising life I dreamt of ...
quit while you are still young...quit while you still have your health ..other wise you will wake up some day and find that you have lost both ..
for what is worth ... read my avatar ..
sincerely
Georges
Old 22-09-2011, 06:04   #14

Boat: Gulfstar 53; Grace

Been there and now I'm in the dream. I sold my house and we both got rid of all our possessions except for a 5x10 storage unit for both of us. Bought the boat and moved on May of this year. I have an RN background...but only 2 years so that doesn't make me too marketable in most places with this economy. He does software development and can do that with phone and internet connection from the boat. But again, we are feeling the economy so his work is slow. We've spent 2 months going from DE to ME and now are in MA heading south. The plan is to head to FL and if his work doesn't pick up, we will stay in a marina and I will pick up nursing....has to be work there with the geriatric community so large. With the two paychecks, should be able to build up the kitty to go out again in not so much time. But in the meantime we will still be on the boat. It has been very lliberating for me not having a house to maintain. Everything I made a month went into the house and most of the inhabitants had moved on to establish their own lives....children in their 20's. It was amazing how much stuff I fit into 4 bedrooms, basement, attic, garage and shed! I was only sick at seeing how much money I spent on things I thought were so important at the time. Now when I "stuff" shop, I do it with my eyes and not my wallet. I say, "Can't buy that. I live on a boat." Being in healthcare I had patients that would say to me..."These are not the golden years." I got to realizing that if I put this off until I am so financial set, I will miss it. I ran into an older cruising couple that went out when there children were old enough to be independent. They said they were encouraged by a couple to do so and if they needed to come back and earn money....do it when they were older and age restricted them more for running the sailboat. The good thing with your jobs is that they have a transient side to them. There are agencies that focus on "travel nursing" and that may apply to both of you in healthcare. When we were getting ready to leave, my facility was very bad to work in....they were expecting the nurse to do unsafe practice. I knew if I continued there I would eventually be in a position that could cost me my license. Everyday I went in I knew I was earning money to get me out. That thinkihng helped alot. I kept a good attitude knowing I would get a good reference from them for the next position in FL if I needed it. I empathize with the unappreciated feelings...I had it everyday. But set your goal and know it will be your reality.
justdoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 06:04   #15

Boat: 1978 44 foot Camper & Nicholsons Ketch

Sorry you are feeling this way BareFTGirl. You are not alone though that is for sure. So many in our society are stressed to the max but now with the economic climate heaped on top it is just really a pressure cooker.

Sounds like it is time for a change. Even if you still loved your profession that is a long time to do the same thing. You may have been ready for a change even if the public was nice and corporate wasn't trying to compete with all it's competitors.

Chris and I have been talking about going cruising for four years. Actively with the wheels in motion for a good two years. It has been A LOT of work but we are almost there. There have recently been some developments which are now propelling us even faster and we are shedding our stuff at a rate that is making my head spin...Grandma's beautiful punch bowl went to Habitat for Humanity yesterday...I am officially 'letting go' and it feels great!

Life is way too short. I think it is time that you definitely start planning an 'exit strategy' - it might take a little time, a lot of planning, but it will help you mentally deal with your work situation. Just don't tell anyone until you are officially ready to go and everything is in place including selling a house or condo if you need to.

Take care...
High Heels is offline   Reply With Quote