Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2016, 00:02   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Grrrr..Brexit.

Brexit happens. (or not)
"overwhelmingly Britain votes to go!"

er 2.something percent I believe was the difference....

So, apart from being short sighted, stupid and emotional, my costs will rise, my ability to travel will be curtailed and in general Britain will lose its favourable trading base...

The EU was a great idea, poorly implemented and hijacked by a couple of nations. Yet the reality is that enough jobs and perks were distributed to keep dissenters at bay....

Cant blame the EU for everything. (or rather you can). Britains government must take some of the blame for not looking after Britain.. they did receive good exchanges for their compliance though at the expense of the UK tax base.

Boating? A nightmare will ensue in the next couple of years.....

Oof.!

I feel better now...
Old 24-06-2016, 00:15   #2

Boat: wharram tiki 26
re: Grrrr..Brexit.

Globalists getting a kicking is fine by me.
Old 24-06-2016, 00:21   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by salticrak View Post
Globalists getting a kicking is fine by me.
They will extract their revenge.
I am all for independence. The realities of the tentacle entrapment of globalism is all pervasive.
I reckon costs will rise 30%.

A some stage, in this case 43 years later, its a little hard to disentangle cheaply. I now probably will need visas for certain european countries to work in...
Boating agreements will now be subject to different rules.

Depends how much of bitchfest the EU want to make it...
Old 24-06-2016, 00:23   #4

Boat: wharram tiki 26

Dave is on the wireless, he is falling on his sword.
Old 24-06-2016, 00:25   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I have to be optimistic

Old 24-06-2016, 00:26   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Brexit happens. (or not)
"overwhelmingly Britain votes to go!"

er 2.something percent I believe was the difference....

So, apart from being short sighted, stupid and emotional, my costs will rise, my ability to travel will be curtailed and in general Britain will lose its favourable trading base...

The EU was a great idea, poorly implemented and hijacked by a couple of nations. Yet the reality is that enough jobs and perks were distributed to keep dissenters at bay....

Cant blame the EU for everything. (or rather you can). Britains government must take some of the blame for not looking after Britain.. they did receive good exchanges for their compliance though at the expense of the UK tax base.

Boating? A nightmare will ensue in the next couple of years.....

Oof.!

I feel better now...
A lot of Brits are hurting right now

But I really don't really think any "nightmare" will "ensue", either with boating or anything else. In the worst case, you'll have a status like ours (like us colonials -- Yanks, Canucks, Aussies, Kiwis, etc.). We boat in Europe, and our economies trade with Europe, just fine. And I doubt it will be the worst case. No one is going to want to kill trade or movement of people between Britain and Europe, least of all Europe. There will be some pissy speeches and grandstanding on the European side, but at the end of the day, what are they going to do?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 24-06-2016, 00:28   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Not "off topic" at all. The votes are counted now and by a margin of nearly 4% the British are favour of exiting the EU. Once the exit has been implemented, Brits ability to cruise in the EU may be severely restricted, as it is for most other non EU travelers ie at least 90 days out of the EU in every 180 days.

Boat registration is also an issue. Where will British cruisers who are no longer residing in the UK for at least 185 days of the year register their boats? This is a requirement for the UK SSR (= Part III of the UK Ship Register). The usual means is registration in another EU country. UK Ship Register Part 1 registration is an option, but is costly and difficult to obtain.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Old 24-06-2016, 00:29   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
A lot of Brits are hurting right now

But I really don't really think any "nightmare" will "ensue", either with boating or anything else. In the worst case, you'll have a status like ours (like us colonials -- Yanks, Canucks, Aussies, Kiwis, etc.). We boat in Europe, and our economies trade with Europe, just fine. And I doubt it will be the worst case. No one is going to want to kill trade or movement of people between Britain and Europe, least of all Europe. There will be some pissy speeches and grandstanding on the European side, but at the end of the day, what are they going to do?
That was always my argument for the Brit government actually refusing to comply with some EU mandates.

"What are they going to do?"

but no..........

SO now I will have to decide where to register a company and what the potential benefits or non benefits will be...grrrrrrrrr...
Old 24-06-2016, 00:32   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Not "off topic" at all. The votes are counted now and by a margin of nearly 4% the British are favour of exiting the EU. Once the exit has been implemented, Brits ability to cruise in the EU may be severely restricted, as it is for most other non EU travelers ie at least 90 days out of the EU in every 180 days.

Boat registration is also an issue. Where will British cruisers who are no longer residing in the UK for at least 185 days of the year register their boats? This is a requirement for the UK SSR (= Part III of the UK Ship Register). The usual means is registration in another EU country. UK Ship Register Part 1 registration is an option, but is costly and difficult to obtain.

SWL
It is a problem.
It was an emotional decision.
Always the worst to make when money is involved...

We should as a nation save up and buy Spain.... and leave Spain a member..

bummer.

PS.. I put it off topic simply because some will have opposing viewpoints...
Old 24-06-2016, 00:55   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
. . . Boat registration is also an issue. Where will British cruisers who are no longer residing in the UK for at least 185 days of the year register their boats? This is a requirement for the UK SSR (= Part III of the UK Ship Register). The usual means is registration in another EU country. UK Ship Register Part 1 registration is an option, but is costly and difficult to obtain. . .
My boat is Part I registered in the UK, and it's not so bad -- roughly equivalent to Coast Guard registry in the U.S. The main complication is the tonnage survey which needs to be done only once during the whole life of the vessel.

And for anyone who prefers an EU flag, I believe that the Dutch "B" registry can be used by anyone of any citizen or registry.

There are companies like this one: Yacht Registration Holland | Quality Boats Holland Guide

which will do it for a small fee, without even needing you or the vessel to be in the Netherlands.

This is really a non-issue.

More complex could be Schengen rules, but the worst case is something like what us Colonials have. I think this is very unlikely, as the free-ish movement of people with Britain is very important to all of the European economies. Whether the UK goes the full Norway and Switzerland route or not, no one knows, but dollars to doughnuts the final result will be closer to that, than what we have. Furthermore, if the UK joins up with her former colonies on this issue, maybe a better Schengen visa deal can be negotiated for all of us.

In any case, nothing will happen for at least two years, and probably more like five, so no panic.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 24-06-2016, 01:00   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
. . . We should as a nation save up and buy Spain.... and leave Spain a member.. . . .
Spain has negative net worth, so if you got Spain even for free, you would be paying too much.

Not entirely joking here. Brexit is complicated, contrary to the cartoon-like demagoguery on both sides. Putting some daylight between the UK economy and the failing economies of Southern Europe is actually one serious reason for it. I'm not saying it was a sufficient reason -- I'm agnostic about Brexit -- but there are a number of actually good reasons for it (just as there are a number of actually good reasons to stay).
Walt Whitman
Old 24-06-2016, 01:14   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
My boat is Part I registered in the UK, and it's not so bad -- roughly equivalent to Coast Guard registry in the U.S. The main complication is the tonnage survey which needs to be done only once during the whole life of the vessel.

And for anyone who prefers an EU flag, I believe that the Dutch "B" registry can be used by anyone of any citizen or registry.
Regulations must have changed in the last 3 years then. One requirement of Dutch B yacht registration was that at least 50% of the boat was owned by an EU citizen.

Another was that VAT was paid. If this requirement remains then boats newly purchased in the UK will face problems in the future.

As you say though, implementation will be a long time coming.
In addition, all sorts of changes to regulations for non EU boats and visitors may take place. It is all pure speculation at the moment .

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Old 24-06-2016, 01:15   #13
cruiser

The good news....

The price of an Oyster new or used purchased in the UK, just dropped 10-15% overnight.
Old 24-06-2016, 01:22   #14
cruiser

UK members, welcome to the club of us non-EU members cruising the EU.

I'm here to assist regarding VAT and visa issues. Maybe a possible way for me to "put on a a few pounds" whilst cruising.
Old 24-06-2016, 01:34   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
UK members, welcome to the club of us non-EU members cruising the EU.

I'm here to assist regarding VAT and visa issues. Maybe a possible way for me to "put on a a few pounds" whilst cruising.
I'm going to need a delivery agent for all the uk boats based in the med that will have to leave due to unpaid local import duty for non eu vessels
Closed Thread