Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2007, 17:18   #1

Boat: Irwin 37 CC ketch 'Ta-Keel-Ah'
Question Group Discounts

It may have been brought up before, but seeing as there are over 5,600 members on this forum, couldn't we approach the major worldwide marine equipment suppliers for a group discount - say 10 to 20% - they would get alot of business and we would get good deals. We would just need a member card or online code to identify us to the retailer. Even if it was only practical on a country by country basis, I'm sure there are enough members on each continent to entice those greedy marine stores out there for a piece of the action. Yacht insurance would be a good one.

Any thoughts
Old 01-04-2007, 18:46   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Randy,

Not a bad idea but 5,600 members isn't going to get us deep discounts most any where. Even BoatUS members don't get that shopping at BoatUS / West Marine stores where they charge you to be a member. I think you do better shopping around and passing along good deals you find to your friends here.

We span the globe and we never are without something worth reading. It's hard enough doing that well. We may yet have some fun CF merchandise at popular prices but that is still in the works if you have been following you have a clue. Somehow I don't see us getting into insurance or having low paid employees to ship things by FedEx to you.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 19:21   #3

Boat: Irwin 37 CC ketch 'Ta-Keel-Ah'
Paul - not CF yacht insurance - get a discount from existing insurance companies along the vien of a group discount. Don't know how you thought I meant that CF should get into some sort of insurance or low cost merchandise business - so as far as getting group discounts, I take it you are arbitrarily 'discounting' the idea outright - perhaps someone else thinks this idea has some merit - I do and there are smaller groups than ours that regularly get discounts from major retailers and insurance companies If anyone is interested in investigating this with me, please PM me. As for the fun CF stuff - I can hardly wait - will it bear the new tag line?
Old 02-04-2007, 00:50   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny
Paul - not CF yacht insurance - get a discount from existing insurance companies along the vien of a group discount. Don't know how you thought I meant that CF should get into some sort of insurance or low cost merchandise business - so as far as getting group discounts, I take it you are arbitrarily 'discounting' the idea outright - perhaps someone else thinks this idea has some merit - I do and there are smaller groups than ours that regularly get discounts from major retailers and insurance companies If anyone is interested in investigating this with me, please PM me. As for the fun CF stuff - I can hardly wait - will it bear the new tag line?
5% Tops,lucky if ya get that.As for the fun CF stuff,fun off!Mudnut.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 13:29   #5

Boat: NONE yet
I think Benny has the right idea.
I get a discount on my vehicle insurance for having 2 cars a house and boat with them it's like 15% total. I think if we approached a large insurer with the prospect of 4000 new policies they might give a larger discount. Of course not everyone would be interested in changing insurance carriers but it is worth a shot. Insurance agents get a percantage of anual renewals!!
charley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 22:49   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Hey we already get dicounts on laptops, cellphs and PS3's when a spammer hits, what more do you want ;-) :-)

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 01:08   #7

Boat: Lotus 10.6
I never got a Dicounts! I think my tummy was in the way
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 08:36   #8

Boat: NONE yet
I have found that it is all in the way you ask for the discount. I had a boss once when I sold cars (yeah I know), that used to say if you want a discount all you do is ask. So I ask everytime for the discount, you would be surprized how many places will actually give you one for just asking. Now my wife on the other hand would be embarassed to ask for a discount. I never hessitate the worst they could say is no.
charley is offline   Reply With Quote